Another basic fare question

Old Apr 10, 19, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Another basic fare question

Im flying BA from Denver to LHR tomorrow on a basic fare, is the below chart still valid? Iím flying on an AA ticket so does that mean with BA Silver I get 1 bag for each person in my family? Will the BA check in staff honour this?

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/00a0cc87-f6eb-46b8-b26f-326410bb89dd[/img]
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I don't believe status helps at all with BA basic fares.
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think on long haul basic fares this table applies https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On BA metal you shouldn't get any checked luggage for free, regardless of who issued the ticket. However there are reports of people getting a baggage allowance (maybe it was mentioned in the e-ticket?) when booked on AA. I partly suspect this is due to ground agents working both on BA and AA flights. At DEN I wouldn't think it is going to work for you, unless the e-ticket says you get bags. You can of course pay for the bags, USD50 for the first bag, USD90 for the second. If you bought via AA you can only pay for this at the airport. I believe the weight allowance for Silver/Sapphire/Gold/Emerald is 32 kgs rather than 23 kgs but I haven't seen a reliable report on that yet.
Old Apr 11, 19, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You can of course pay for the bags, USD50 for the first bag, USD90 for the second.
On my BE trip next month (booked on BA metal through ba.com), it's $60 for the first checked bag and $100 for the second, with a $5 discount on the first checked bag and a $10 discount on the second if I buy online in advance.

Last edited by TribalistMeathead; Apr 11, 19 at 10:05 am
Old Apr 11, 19, 9:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
On my BE trip next month (booked on BA metal through ba.com), it's $60 for the first checked bag and $100 for the second, with a $5 discount if I buy online in advance.
Thanks for that, I hadn't realised they had increased the fees. BA (and most other oneworld airlines) allow for a discounted online purchase in advance. AA does not offer this, in fact pre-payment is only offered on certain domestic services on AA, and only via the OLCI or App process too - this isn't directly related to Basic fares. Because of these limitations they can't really offer a discount.
Old Apr 11, 19, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Thanks for that, I hadn't realised they had increased the fees. BA (and most other oneworld airlines) allow for a discounted online purchase in advance. AA does not offer this, in fact pre-payment is only offered on certain domestic services on AA, and only via the OLCI or App process too - this isn't directly related to Basic fares. Because of these limitations they can't really offer a discount.
No problem. I needed to update the post, it's a $10 discount on the second checked bag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: