Straws & Stirrers

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
What would you want a straw for?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I like to drink my Jack & Cokes and Screwdrivers out of a straw. YMMV.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
This whole getting rid of plastic straws craze needs to stop. If I want a straw, it should be my choice. Just like if you don't, you are free not to ask for one.
It should also be a choice for future generations to have a much less polluted planet so I don't see it as a craze at all. Paper/biodegradable straws are the way forward so having a straw can still be a choice.

Anything that reduces the overall global reduction of plastic in any way can only be a good thing in my view.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Paper straws are horrendous and taste disgusting. They also disintegrate in ones drink.

bring back the plastic straws BA
Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I am probably the least environmentally conscious Geography teacher imaginable, but even so, plastic straws and stirrers make me wince. Im surprised it actually makes any difference onboard; I thought it was all incinerated anyway? Or is there now recycling onboard? Finnair seem to think they are leading the way with one big pint of milk rather than lots of little plastic ones.
dcmike and pacenotes like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Deltus
I can just pour my tonic with a bit more oomph!
Careful with the oomph, otherwise Chabuddy G will have to say: Yeah... too much, you spoiled it.
kaka, Lucanesque, Deltus and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:10 am

This whole getting rid of plastic straws craze needs to stop. If I want a straw, it should be my choice. Just like if you don't, you are free not to ask for one.
As an avid scuba diver, I find your view very narrow-minded. Spending as much time as I possibly can underwater, it is heart-wrenching the damage humans are causing on our marine life.

You could call me hypocritical by flying significantly more than the average (with associated emissions) but I do everything I possibly can to reduce the impact of this, particularly with avoiding the use of unnecessary plastic. I spend a lot of time in the US and the frivolous use of plastic (of all types) is actually bordering on disgusting, in my opinion. I am very glad other countries are taking a more proactive approach to reducing plastic consumption, although one could argue that it is not deep enough.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by hungry
Paper straws are horrendous and taste disgusting. They also disintegrate in ones drink.

bring back the plastic straws BA
Bring your own if the provided straws aren’t good enough for you.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Hardly a 'craze'. Plastic waste is a huge issue - 300 million tonnes of it is now being thrown away every single year, almost the combined weight of every single man, woman, and child alive on earth today. Over 8 billion tonnes of plastic have been produced in the last few decades, and only around 20-40% of that is still in circulation, the rest has ended up in landfill or our natural environment.

Reliance on single use plastic has to stop, there aren't unlimited natural resources to produce it, and the waste that ends up in the sea is destroying our planet and affecting our food chain (microplastic contamination).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gms
You drink a G&T with a straw?
direct contact of teeth with the acidic drink would cause health problems so a straw is recommended. same applies to coke and what not.

i doubt many would follow the above advice by a nursing friend.

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Hardly a 'craze'. Plastic waste is a huge issue - 300 million tonnes of it is now being thrown away every single year, almost the combined weight of every single man, woman, and child alive on earth today. Over 8 billion tonnes of plastic have been produced in the last few decades, and only around 20-40% of that is still in circulation, the rest has ended up in landfill or our natural environment.

Reliance on single use plastic has to stop, there aren't unlimited natural resources to produce it, and the waste that ends up in the sea is destroying our planet and affecting our food chain (microplastic contamination).
how about the Carbon footprint of the scheduled flight that we take every day?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka
How about ditching the whataboutery ^
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
The "scheduled" bit answers your own question - the plane is going anyway, whether or not you get on it

It's those flying private that are the real demons here...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
I also enjoy "sipping" a drink through a straw (less lipstick maintenance...), but have now acquired stainless steel straws of various sizes. Always have a few of them (and their cleaning brush) in my purse now.
dcmike, T8191, rickg523 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
🙄
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Straws are for children, prepubescent adolescents and those with certain disabilities. Able-bodied adults drink from the glass. If you feel otherwise bring your own straw.
T8191 and TribalistMeathead like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.