Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries South Lounge Cinema

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Galleries South Lounge Cinema

I was at T5 on Sunday and the boat race was on so I went to watch it in the cinema. But there was no sound, and it appeared to be the SD channel and had subtitles on which is annoying.

As it is a cinema room why don’t they have the sound on? Particularly for big sporting events like the boat race, grand national, football games etc ? It would be a good spot to chill out and watch the race/ game etc but with annoying subtitles and no sound it’s not utilised at all.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Any time I have tried to use the cinema I've found people stretched out their whole length fast asleep Perhaps the sound is kept off to allow them to sleep
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
The subtitles are quite useful for those who are deaf or hearing impaired.
FEMW, T8191, Row9 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
I presume the sound is off as there are no doors so its to avoid disturbing people sitting nearby who aren’t watching.

I agree its not used to its full potential. They could at least get a better quality screen
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by hungry
I was at T5 on Sunday and the boat race was on so I went to watch it in the cinema. But there was no sound, and it appeared to be the SD channel and had subtitles on which is annoying.

As it is a cinema room why don’t they have the sound on? Particularly for big sporting events like the boat race, grand national, football games etc ? It would be a good spot to chill out and watch the race/ game etc but with annoying subtitles and no sound it’s not utilised at all.
As someone who is profoundly deaf and totally reliant on subtitles - I am sorry it is annoying for a hearing person to have to see subtitles but it is more than annoying for me - no, mega frustrating for me - when people wont put the subtitles on because the hearing people don't like them. Hearing loss affects 1 in 6 so be careful what you wish for - you might have to sport some electronics in your ear canals and complain that you cant hear one day....
aidy, Row9, sentosa and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:37 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Just imagine some water noises and some shouting. Job done.

Or if it's so important to you just watch it on your own device. The BBC were showing it so you could stream it live in iPlayer. Although I must admit when I saw that in the schedules at the weekend my first thought was why the BBC is still wasting money broadcasting such nonsense.
endoman likes this.

Last edited by gms; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:29 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC

Are you sure it wasn't just a silent movie?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm personally very happy with sound off and subtitles on in a shared space such as an airport lounge. Even with the 'cinema' room, I think sound will travel outside.

I'm pretty sure I saw in one of the lounges in Gatwick that they have a system whereby you can install an app and then stream the sound from whatever's showing on the TV via your personal device. That might be a good solution for the cinema room.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by charlesrhona
Any time I have tried to use the cinema I've found people stretched out their whole length fast asleep Perhaps the sound is kept off to allow them to sleep
Yep always see people sleeping there across the couches
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by volar
I'm pretty sure I saw in one of the lounges in Gatwick that they have a system whereby you can install an app and then stream the sound from whatever's showing on the TV via your personal device. That might be a good solution for the cinema room.
You did indeed. I thought I knew the name of the app, but that doesn't seem to be in the UK app store. Hopefully, someone at Gatwick will spot the signs - there's definitely one on the table on the mezzanine.

Last edited by Truthmonkey; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:09 am Reason: That wasn't the app.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
The subtitles are quite useful for those who are deaf or hearing impaired.
Not a lot of sound on rowing other than the guy yelling stroke and whatever the commentators say which subtitles would be OK for.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: GGL
Just protecting you from that inane breed, the sports commentator.

There is a rather useful smart-phone app called Tunity, although last time I looked it didn't have coverage outside the USA, but might be useful for those whiling away hours in lounges at JFK, PHX, HNL, et al.

Using the phone camera it identifies the programme on a television and then streams the audio through your phone.

PS headphones please.
endoman and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not a lot of sound on rowing other than the guy yelling stroke and whatever the commentators say which subtitles would be OK for.
More than that. One year there were rather a lot of 'apologies for the strong language' as the microphones picked up rather a lot more talk than anticipated!

I am astounded though at the number of people who need the commentary to tell them what they can see with their own eyes.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mixbury

There is a rather useful smart-phone app called Tunity, although last time I looked it didn't have coverage outside the USA, but might be useful for those whiling away hours in lounges at JFK, PHX, HNL, et al.
Yes, I thought it might be Tunity - it's great in the US, but that doesn't cover the UK. There's definitely an app advertised with a QR code on the mezzanine at LGW. I'll look for it on Monday if no one is there before.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

its rest lounge not cinema

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.