Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex BMi A321 Midhaul Business Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Ex BMi A321 Midhaul Business Seats?

I have a red-eye flight booked from CAI to LHR in club world (business) on an ex BMI A321 with the staggered lie-flat seats as shown here . I have been considering paying about $100 to pick a seat, but haven't been able to find much on flyertalk (including the BA Seat Selection thread) or elsewhere about the best seats to choose, though it looks similar to JetBlue Mint or Swiss Air to me.

That said, has anyone who has flown this have thoughts? Specifically, do the seats in row 1 have more footwell room like many bulkhead seats? I am tall and always appreciate extra room.

Other than that, any reason to not pick one of the solo seats? I will be traveling with my brother so we could sit next to each other, though certainly don't have to.

Lastly, I'm assuming if I pay $100 for a seat and the plane is downgraded to a regular A320 I wouldn't be able to get my money back. Is this right or would I be able to get it back since it would be a significant downgrade in product.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by skvanburen
Lastly, I'm assuming if I pay $100 for a seat and the plane is downgraded to a regular A320 I wouldn't be able to get my money back. Is this right or would I be able to get it back since it would be a significant downgrade in product.
I'd expect to get the seat fee back, in addition to compensation for the downgrade. Type of thing I'd be willing to take to CEDR/MCOL if BA played hardball.

Can't comment on the bulkhead Q - I've only flown these planes down the back.
skvanburen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'd go for 2 singles unless you feel you must be next to your brother! I don't remember Row 1 as being any different other than that you get the queue for the toilet and the noise from the galley. I would go a couple of rows back and get single seats in different rows for you and your brother, given the choice. At least you will be able to get out of your seat to go and see him without inconveniencing anyone else.
skvanburen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I’m 6ft 3in and the two times I’ve been in J on these aircraft, have been in 1A. Row 1 has the footwell recessed into the bulkhead and didn’t find anything restrictive about the legroom. Having not shared a pair, can’t really comment other than by the looks of it, there would be a significant step-over when getting out of the window seat.

A solo and an aisle could be a valid valid choice although whoever gets to sit in the aisle could have the problem of being disturbed if the window seat is taken.

S
skvanburen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think there's a bad Club seat on the aircraft, I don't think it's worth paying for one unless there was some particular factor in mind. The single seats by the emergency exit in row 7 have the most space, however the door gubbins (to use a technical term) in 7F is somewhat disconcerting, it's in the line of sight, plus the cross check has to take place right in front of you. It's still a good seat. But yes, if there was an aircraft substitution - and it's more likely to be to a 787 than anything else - then you would get your money back on seat reservations. Here are some other links for you, some with photos.

A321 mid-haul CW pics
A321 Club World, what to expect?
CE Service in a CW Seat - The Midhaul A321 - A Pictorial Report
BA A321 Mid-Haul product - anyone seen it?

and from the old BMI forum (and somewhat out of date)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...n-upgrade.html
skvanburen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:16 am

The footwell in row 1 is slightly larger and less restrictive than in other rows in my experience. Less cubby hole syndrome, although its still a recessed space, it's just that your feet have more space to move without being as restricted.

Single (throne) seats offer more space to put stuff either side of your seat but offer the same amount of actual seat space as any other seat in the cabin.

You're right the seat is similar to JB Mint (all be it without the screened off solo pods) and Swiss International J. Also similar to DL 767/330 J and AA 763 J if that helps.

Being subbed to a short-haul business product is unlikely on this route but like all things does remain a possibility. The Club World configured 321's are a subfleet that are slowly being reconfigured to a short-haul layout so there aren't necesarily going to be alternative airframes available at short notice if something technical prevents operation. Other routes with multiple flights daily are usually the first casualty in this situation but it's not hard and fast so keep in mind.

Unless the Club cabin is full (tickets sold out) I really wouldn't bother with paying to assign seats in advance. So long as you're prompt to check in online 24hrs prior to departure, you should be able to select something reasonable.
skvanburen likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'd expect to get the seat fee back, in addition to compensation for the downgrade. Type of thing I'd be willing to take to CEDR/MCOL if BA played hardball.

Can't comment on the bulkhead Q - I've only flown these planes down the back.
I should have mentioned that I booked this as part of an AA J award ticket CAI-LHR-RDU.

Would I still be able to get the seat fee back and/or be entitled to any compensation since the price in miles would be the same for Club Europe as Club World?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by skvanburen
Would I still be able to get the seat fee back and/or be entitled to any compensation since the price in miles would be the same for Club Europe as Club World?
Tricky, in that BA would maintain it was still a business class, but when they did this before they handed out ATM cash cards to those affected.in CAI. I wouldn't overthink it, it hasn't happened recently and only I think on one occasion this year. You are statistically more likely to be Flubbed than CE'd.

As for the seat reservation, if you are at least AA Gold, you should get free seat reservation from 7 days out, or now if Platinum or above.
skvanburen likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:25 am

Has anyone flown one of these in J recently? Wondering whether there have been any “soft” refreshes made to the seats, or if BA is intending to see these out.

I last flew one of these in early 2018 and the signs of wear and tear were quite visible.

thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
None whatsoever, at least as far as I can tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.