Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - JFK in BA Business 747 or 777 ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
you also have AA biz class to choose with QF points. And the advantage is that you can get an AA connector for free as long as it is within the band mileage (if you mix BA and AA you'll pay separate sector fares).

The fuel surcharge also drops significantly for AA (like the taxes fees and charges are about 1/3 of those on a BA itinerary).

on the topic of this thread, I'd go the 747. But even lower deck with a bulkhead window is good.
Yeah AA was my top pick, but I’m Bronze so I could only see economy flights. The surcharges are really low with AA.

The weird thing is a one way cash price on AA or BA is ridiculous high. I was getting some quotes at $13000 AUD. Booking a return is cheaper.

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Can't see OP's status, but 747 UD seats can be restrictive to none without Silver or Gold
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Aidan
The weird thing is a one way cash price on AA or BA is ridiculous high. I was getting some quotes at $13000 AUD. Booking a return is cheaper.
That's normal.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I’m Bronze
A good reason to choose the BA1 out of LCY then. You would probably have to pay to get an UD 747 seat ( which is my preferred choice I may add ) but there is not really any bad seats on the 318 option and loads are low generally so you may even get a choice of a window or aisle at T-7.

One other thing is that if you value your privacy ( or are working on sensitive stuff ) above all else the BA1 is the worst option as its side by side and the UD window 747 the best IMHO.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
A good reason to choose the BA1 out of LCY then. You would probably have to pay to get an UD 747 seat ( which is my preferred choice I may add ) but there is not really any bad seats on the 318 option and loads are low generally so you may even get a choice of a window or aisle at T-7.

One other thing is that if you value your privacy above all else the BA1 is the worst option as its side by side and the UD window 747 the best IMHO.
Not too fussed with privacy as I’m travelling with my wife, next to me and the space itself gives me enough privacy.
I come from a low base. I used to be an economy only flyer until my last trip which was business on Qatar Airways.
Now I can’t go back, it’s changed my perception of flying .

So it’s now points, cash or kidneys for the nicer seats 😊.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Looks like we have a winner.. I am sure you are aware there are only two award seats on the Ba1 per day so you need to be on the ball as they get released.

There are of course many more flights from other London airports so those other awards should be easier to get if you have to leave on a certain day.
Aidan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Yeah I won’t put my heart into it, If it’s there great.

Im also going to explore options with my travel agent on a round the world ticket and include this flight.

Planning a US + England trip from Australia next year. So the online aggregators are chucking out all strange pricings.

Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Just saw the London city flight to jfk in the A318 all business. I think I will take that. Easier to get to the airport and customs clearing in Shannon.

Just make sure you get on one that actually gets US customs/immigration in Shannon as that has changed a few years ago and I believe some flights get it, some don't
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
[left]

Yeah AA was my top pick, but I’m Bronze so I could only see economy flights.

You may find more availability if looking beyond a major US gateway with AA. They marry segments, so adding a sector to DCA' might not affect the price but may open availability. Also check out of MAN (to PHL). Lots of space on those flights (and just a couple hours by train frmo Euston).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mec72
Just make sure you get on one that actually gets US customs/immigration in Shannon as that has changed a few years ago and I believe some flights get it, some don't
There’s only one flight now, so this isn’t an issue
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Looks like we have a winner.. I am sure you are aware there are only two award seats on the Ba1 per day so you need to be on the ball as they get released.

There are of course many more flights from other London airports so those other awards should be easier to get if you have to leave on a certain day.
Just like on all other flights?

BA guarantees 2 club reward flights on every flight but often releases more. The BA1/2 often has more then 2 reward flights just as on other flights.

doing some random dummy avios bookings on Tuesday 8th October there are 7 (seven) reward seats on the BA1 for example. And 3 on the 24th July (a flight I happen to be on)
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mec72
I'd definitely go for the upper deck on a 747. I usually check the seat map on ExpertFlyer when booking tickets on this route and pick a flight that has the best window UD seats available.
Just to complete the picture, you might also wish to check that it's a Super Hi J 747 in order to benefit from the improved IFE on the daytime flight. There is still one Mid J 747 per day on the JFK route and I'm on it next Tuesday from JFK to LHR. As it's a night flight I'm not fussed about it being Super Hi J and the time worked better for me. Some of the Mid J aircraft are in the process of being refurbished as per the info in this thread:

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Last edited by golfmad; Apr 10, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
It was certainly UD when I booked my 241 reward seats this summer to JFK . I was super excited as we were celebrating our 10yr anniversary and the other half had never flown the 747. Can you imagine how we felt when we found out they switched both legs to the 777! Absolutely devastated!

Any suggestions??
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Always fly the 747 when you have a chance, they won't be here forever.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:00 am

So it’s now points, cash or kidneys for the nicer seats 😊.
^

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.