LHR - JFK in BA Business 747 or 777 ?

Old Apr 10, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Finavia View Post
It was certainly UD when I booked my 241 reward seats this summer to JFK . I was super excited as we were celebrating our 10yr anniversary and the other half had never flown the 747. Can you imagine how we felt when we found out they switched both legs to the 777! Absolutely devastated!

Any suggestions??
You can either hope that BA switches it back to B747 or look for reward availability on a flight scheduled to operate by B747 and change to that one (will incur a fee). BA does not do free changes due to equipment change I'm afraid (at least not when it's like for like, that is, when the seat is the same).
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
You can either hope that BA switches it back to B747 or look for reward availability on a flight scheduled to operate by B747 and change to that one (will incur a fee). BA does not do free changes due to equipment change I'm afraid (at least not when it's like for like, that is, when the seat is the same).
Unfortunately no availability now for the dates I have booked. I can only hope there will be another switch. 🤞
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA nobody
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

Not too fussed with privacy as I’m travelling with my wife, next to me and the space itself gives me enough privacy.
I come from a low base. I used to be an economy only flyer until my last trip which was business on Qatar Airways.
Now I can’t go back, it’s changed my perception of flying .

So it’s now points, cash or kidneys for the nicer seats ��.

The A318 is a great choice for a couple, with 2 seats together facing the same way. But if you're my height -- 6' 4" -- the seat is NOT comfortable. It has a very bulky headrest that can't be moved high enough. It catches me right on the bend of the spine between the shoulders. I had to pack out the seatback with 2 pillows to get anywhere near comfortable. It's a shame as otherwise the service is very good, hard and soft.
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Finavia View Post

Unfortunately no availability now for the dates I have booked. I can only hope there will be another switch. 🤞
Keep checking. JFK is one of the easiest destination to get 2 seats in CW.
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:31 pm

How on earth does one even select a UD seat without BA status? I'd love to fly it- hell, I'd love to pay for it but I was so frustrated by the inability to find an upper deck seat I just upgraded to first instead.
Old Apr 10, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
747 even without the Upper Deck is still preferable to the 777 IMO. Many smaller cabins has a different feel to the one big cabin on the 777. Even without the sidebins, single-aisle, and novelty of the Upper Deck, I'd still rate this. Especially if you can get the front mini-cabin in front of the engines.
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Speedbird676 View Post
Anything can happen in the next 15 months.
My point exactly.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Wonder if this route will get the newer refurbed 777 in the 1-2-1 config.
That would be a winner..