Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Is it really a great inconvenience? Worth risking a fellow person's life over?
Is there any real evidence of a risk of someone going into anaphylactic shock after inhaling peanut particles on an airplane?
offtothehills and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by milkyway88
Unless you stab it into someone's eye, nothing can do wrong with epipen.

The dose in a epipen is only just over half the dose that would be given in A&E or an ambulance.

Worse case is that you give it someone not having an anaphylactic reaction, it which case they might feel a bit funny but won't do any harm.
It’s not my area but I understand the main problem with Epipens is that they are based on devices intended to deliver chemical agent antidotes to lean, muscular soldiers - but in standard civilians carrying a degree of fat, they often don’t penetrate deep enough to get into muscle (and hence circulation).

I haven’t had a chance to look at an aircraft one but if you have to use one, worth bearing in mind (and maybe jab a bit deeper!)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ardecos
The idea is fine in principle but the problem is that it does not really work. The cold virus, for example, is many times smaller than the mesh of a mask and can pass through the mask easily.
Its not necessarily about raw viruses flying about solo, it’s about them travelling on droplets of moisture, which are much larger and may be screened by the mask. More importantly it also reduces the mouth/nose-to-hand-to-surface (followed by the reverse in someone else) route. Which is also why hand gel works.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My daughter has a severe nut allergy. Nuts allergies cannot be triggered by the smell of nuts. It has to be physical contact, so the problem is cross contamination from the staff on items served or from members of the public by direct contact.

In Sat after YouFirst guaranteeing her booking has but allergy on it, she was still offered nuts with preboarding and then the canapés with walnuts!
We never ask for no one else to have nuts.

If BA cater for all the lifestyle choices these days, then they should never serve nuts on board or in any meals. After all a veggie/vegan eating an animal product won’t kill them, but a nut allergy suffer getting some nuts!!

chrisboote likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FinnRolo
Yeah, yeah. Angel on my right shoulder, devil on my left shoulder. Even comedians know what's right, though they joke about it.
​​​​​​The question is why do airplanes bring out the guy who actually says "I want my peanuts. To hell with that kid. If they won't serve peanuts, I'm bringing my own." I've seen that posted right here on FT. What's up with that?

Last edited by rickg523; Apr 8, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Almonds could be a solution as they are considered a "fruit" and not a nut-according to a friend who has lots of nut allergies but can safely eat almonds and drink almond milk.
Almonds are not a fruit. They are a tree nut (like cashews). I know someone who has a severe allergy to almonds. Your friend probably has a peanut allergy. Peanuts are legumes which are separate from tree nuts.
kimberlyrose and chrisboote like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Had a seat in J returning from UVF to LGW a few weeks ago.

Just after boarding there was a message from up front saying somebody on board had a nut allergy, so please don't eat any. I was a bit suprised just after take off to be presented with a glass of red wine and a bowl of nuts.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by GCab

It’s not my area but I understand the main problem with Epipens is that they are based on devices intended to deliver chemical agent antidotes to lean, muscular soldiers - but in standard civilians carrying a degree of fat, they often don’t penetrate deep enough to get into muscle (and hence circulation).

I haven’t had a chance to look at an aircraft one but if you have to use one, worth bearing in mind (and maybe jab a bit deeper!)
My understanding is they're not as effective as "real" needle injection, hence one of the reasons Health Professions will use drawn up adrenaline (the other being it's less than a 100th of the price) but the auto injectors are proven to give the required effect in the vast majority of case. Worse case is that you'll inject the adrenaline into the subcutaneous fat, in which case it will still have some effect, slower but still better than nothing. Most importantly you won't do any harm, it would be worse not to use it than to use it the epipen not get the required depth (however unlikely this actually is).

Last edited by milkyway88; Apr 8, 2019 at 3:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sounds like incompetence to me, the customer with the allergy was probably not seated in CW but the announcement was made aircraft wide, announcements can be made in each cabin separately.

Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by cauchy
Is there any real evidence of a risk of someone going into anaphylactic shock after inhaling peanut particles on an airplane?
There is no reproducible evidence of airborn dust causing such.

BTW, the announcement was to to not eats nuts. So I assume peanuts (a legueme) were fine.
aakaa and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by tedcruz
Had the same yesterday on BA1386. They said all BoB nut products were not available and the crew checked through my KSML ingredient list to make sure it had no nuts.
What would happen if your meal had nuts, would they not serve it to you?
altabello likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:26 pm

I've only had this happen to me once in my years of flying, but I would prefer not to eat than have to make an emergency diversion.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Almonds are not a fruit. They are a tree nut (like cashews). I know someone who has a severe allergy to almonds. Your friend probably has a peanut allergy. Peanuts are legumes which are separate from tree nuts.
Cashews are culinary speaking nuts, but biologically speaking they are seeds - as are almonds, pistachios, brazil nuts, walnuts, horse chestnuts, pine nuts, coconuts. All seeds, well some are technically drupes. But not a nut among them.

Actual nuts include hazelnuts, sweet chestnuts and pecans.

So a "nut allergy" is really a nut/seed/pea allergy. (Peanuts are peas.)

It seems our ancestors looked at something hard with a shell and called it a nut. Only much, much later, with the advent of science, were the biological differences identified.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF WP

Any health professionals reading this thread and wondering about kit carried etc, I can wholeheartedly recommend an app called AirRX- lists the minimum standards for a number of countries, equipment to be carried etc., along with some hints and tips- I have attached a screenshot of the EU medical kit medication list

**i am not connected with the developers/marketers of the app in any way**
yrin likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Ardecos
The idea is fine in principle but the problem is that it does not really work. The cold virus, for example, is many times smaller than the mesh of a mask and can pass through the mask easily.
Yes, the virus is smaller but sneeze droplets are bigger. The main thing is that people in Japan wear them to prevent spread. Not whether they actually work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.