No nuts please!

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
If I had such a nut allergy I would wear a surgical face mask, as commonly worn in Japan.
Why inconvenience everyone else on the flight?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
If I had such a nut allergy I would wear a surgical face mask, as commonly worn in Japan.
Is it really a great inconvenience? Worth risking a fellow person's life over?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Because it's enough sometimes to just come into contact with a nut, it doesn't have to be inhaled/ingested.

I'm an A&E doctor... Full blown anaphylaxis is terrifying. And for those with the most serious reactions it kills... Quickly. After all this: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...and-label-laws occurred on a BA flight.

Having said that, this is only risk reduction. It is easy to think of many situations both on and off an aircraft where potential contact could occur.

I had a nut ban on a KUL-LHR sector last year. Plenty of grumbles which was particularly saddening.

Out of interest, one for the cabin crew who frequent this forum, how many epipens are carried on an aircraft medical kit?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:37 am

We had this to Zante last year (both there and back, so probably the same passenger...) we’d picked up sandwiches, some of which contained pine nuts. I asked the crew, who subsequently asked the passenger if we were able to eat or not. I’d almost bought one containing peanuts, which makes me wonder what would happen if I hadn’t been able to eat it on the flight... (I get really grumpy without food!)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:37 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Since BA started serving the unsalted almonds in the Spanish packaging, I am not bothered one bit. Nothing lost.
Yep. These have got to be the worst snack items BA has served in quite a while. Maybe I'm in a minority, but these just have no taste to me. So happy to abstain ... the packet usually goes back to the crew intact anyway!
rossmacd and RockyRobin like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Is it really a great inconvenience? Worth risking a fellow person's life over?
yeah, but where does it stop?

Originally Posted by gms
Yep. These have got to be the worst snack items BA has served in quite a while. Maybe I'm in a minority, but these just have no taste to me. So happy to abstain ... the packet usually goes back to the crew intact anyway!
​​​​​​​second to the wasabi peas!
seat38a, chrisboote and Franky16 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BaGold
My 4 year old has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy so I am very sympathetic- for domestic US travel we look for airlines like JetBlue with no nuts in their service. It’s not just the recycled air, as someone previously mentioned it’s the person two flights before that ate peanuts and sat on them crushing into the seat. I find airlines here in the US pretty accommodating, letting us board early and wipe down all surfaces with Clorox wipes. Typically then the row in front and behind gets a request not to eat them, rather than a whole plane full. It’s definitely getting more common - and if something happens it’s very scary.
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
There should be no issue to not consume nuts if it means the health of a fellow passenger.

Does BA have a specific policy and procedure regarding these announcements? Do passengers with allergies have to provide advance notice? Does the cabin crew check to see if they are carrying epi-pens?

I know on Air Canada they will implement a "nut buffer zone" if notified in advance and the FAs are very strict about seeing epi-pens and requiring they be stored close at hand and not in the overhead. Does BA do the same?

I have experience of not serving nuts from HKG to LHR on an A380
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BaGold
and to reply to traumadoc and his epipen question, we always carry multiple. I think they’d be a question of liability if administered and something went wrong/it didn’t work (again a US perspective and thinking about how litigious things are here...). Happy to stand corrected.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GlobeTrotOnPoints
yeah, but where does it stop?

second to the wasabi peas!
Sorry but I find that attitude very 'Daily Mail' like. An arguement against banning nuts on flights with people who might die from it being the never-ending realm of possible things that could be banned (which, btw, I would imagine be rather low once nuts are taken off).

And frankly I don't know where it ends - certainly I would never grumble about giving any food up on a plane if it meant someone survived the flight to the other end.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
That is not why people in Japan wear surgical masks. In many Asian countries, if someone wakes up with a cough or a sore throat and thinks they may have a cold coming on (or similar) they wear a mask so they don't pass on anything. Not for personal protection. I find this very polite and I wish more people in Europe would do the same.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is there any truth in the rumour that the supplier of the CE almonds is none other than Senor Cruz's brother in law?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CTwill
and to reply to traumadoc and his epipen question, we always carry multiple. I think they’d be a question of liability if administered and something went wrong/it didn’t work (again a US perspective and thinking about how litigious things are here...). Happy to stand corrected.
Unless you stab it into someone's eye, nothing can do wrong with epipen.

The dose in a epipen is only just over half the dose that would be given in A&E or an ambulance.

Worse case is that you give it someone not having an anaphylactic reaction, it which case they might feel a bit funny but won't do any harm.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think it fine... feel sorry for people that have to go through this and besides
BA nuts are well terrible.... why can BA just use salted and roasted and stop being too fancy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.