Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chrisboote
That's just wrong
It can certainly trigger tachycardia, which can be fatal
The girl who died on a flight after eating a sesame seed sandwich from Pret died, according to the coroner recording a narrative verdict, because of tachycardia caused by the epipen, not the allergy
Don't know where you got that from but its incorrect, you may get mild tachycardia from intramuscular (IM) adrenaline but it isn't enough to do any harm (let alone be fatal). Adrenaline can be fatal when given into vein (IV) but you're looking at a dose over 3mg which is 10 x the dose in an epipen.

The Coroner advised the following regards to the epipen.

(3) In the Emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions Guidelines for healthcare providers the preferred needle length is 25 mm for adrenaline injectors to access muscle in most people. I heard during expert evidence that Epipen needle length was 16mm - suitable according to the UK Resuscitation Council for “pre-term or very small infants”. The use of needles which access only subcutaneous tissue and not muscle is in my view inherently unsafe. An alternative autoinjector, Emerade has a 24 mm needle.

(4) The dose of adrenaline in Epipen is 300mcg. The UK Resuscitation Council recommends a standard emergency dose of 500mcg. Emerade contains a dose including 500mcg. The combination of what my expert told me was an inadequate dose of adrenaline for anaphylaxis and an inadequate length needle raises serious safety concerns

The coroner is suggesting that she should have have more adrenaline deeper into the muscle tissue.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Is it really a great inconvenience? Worth risking a fellow person's life over?
But that person has to take accountability for themself. If it was me and I couldn't control the environment around me, such as it is in this case, I wouldn't get on the plane.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:41 pm

Passenger should have stated this problem to the agent on booking the ticket.
Passenger should have re-stated it to ground staff at the airport.
One cannot penalize the whole plane for one person's allergy. What if a parent only had peanut butter granola bars to help keep their child along?
Passenger should have taken another mode of transportation.
Only a step away from a PETA member demanding that all leather luggage be removed!!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta
Should there also be an announcement if an antivaxxer gets on the flight? After all, that affects everyone on the flight also.
nancypants, cauchy and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Assuming no one would knowingly put another passenger at risk if asked not to eat something, there are still lots of ways it can go wrong.

Passengers dozing off or wearing headphones and don't hear announcements - done that myself lots of times though not as far as I'm aware during allergen announcements.
Passengers who don't speak the language the announcement is made in.
Passenger has food without being aware that it contains the allergens - I bought what I though was cheese sandwich type biscuits only to find they were peanut butter sandwich. Salads can be a be a bit of a lucky dip too.

What strikes me is that with airlines moving to BOB in shorthaul and in longhaul paring meals down to the minimum, passengers are more likely to bring their own food which makes it difficult for the airlines to have control over what is eaten.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ifti Khan
Passenger should have stated this problem to the agent on booking the ticket.
Passenger should have re-stated it to ground staff at the airport.
One cannot penalize the whole plane for one person's allergy. What if a parent only had peanut butter granola bars to help keep their child along?
Passenger should have taken another mode of transportation.
Only a step away from a PETA member demanding that all leather luggage be removed!!
Are you an absolute idiot? Comparing a nut allergy to PETA?
Would being a member of PETA kill you? Would accidentally coming into contact with nuts kill someone with an allergy? Most definitely.
What normal rational human being would demand to be able to eat nuts around someone that has an allergy? Says everything about the way society is going today that people think it’s okay to endanger other people’s lives!
Rant over.
flygirl68 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Simonte SJ, Ma S, Mofidi S, Sicherer SH. Relevance of casual contact with peanut butter in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;112:180-2.
Perry TT, Conover-Walker MK, Pomes A, Chapman MD, Wood RA. Distribution of peanut allergen in the environment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004
[/QUOTE]

So? Either some simply don't want to believe medical opinion/science or it's just wrong. We're still arguing about wiping surfaces and the dangers of the nut dust in the air while we're being told it can't affect one without touching or eating. Considering the growing numbers of passenger numbers, and the percentage of those complaining of allergic reactions, it's maybe time to ascertain the facts one way or another because the otherwise we'll simply continue to believe one side or the other without any final conclusion.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by lloydah
Simonte SJ, Ma S, Mofidi S, Sicherer SH. Relevance of casual contact with peanut butter in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;112:180-2.
Perry TT, Conover-Walker MK, Pomes A, Chapman MD, Wood RA. Distribution of peanut allergen in the environment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004
So? Either some simply don't want to believe medical opinion/science or it's just wrong. We're still arguing about wiping surfaces and the dangers of the nut dust in the air while we're being told it can't affect one without touching or eating. Considering the growing numbers of passenger numbers, and the percentage of those complaining of allergic reactions, it's maybe time to ascertain the facts one way or another because the otherwise we'll simply continue to believe one side or the other without any final conclusion.[/QUOTE]
My concern with not wiping down surfaces is that, if someone left an almond in the seat. I touch it, don't realize what it is, and then touch the rim of my glass. If I have a crumb of almond stuck to my finger, and that transfers to the rim of my glass, I likely will then ingest the piece of almond. Is it likely? No, but when dealing with something that can kill me in a matter of minutes, why would I risk it? I don't use bath and body products containing nut oils, as it causes a dermatological reaction.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by chrisboote
Completely agree
I have a potentially fatal allergy to cheese (and related caseenated dairy products)
I have been hospitalized for accidental cross contamination before
I would still not DREAM of asking other passengers to be inconvenienced for my issue
My problem, my responsibility to minimise it, no one else's
If it got so bad I could have an anaphylactic attack due to a fellow passenger eating cheese, I would feel it's my problem and I wouldn't fly
It's no inconvenience, mate. Anyone able to book his own airline ticket should also able to understand it's not your choice to be allergic and die from accidentally eating cheese. I like cheese, but if you were the passenger sitting next to me and in a normal, polite, manner asked me to refrain from eating my cheese sandwich because you had a severe allergy and just the smell of it made you feel sick, I'd certainly not feel it was inconvenient to put the sandwich away. If I were really hungry, perhaps I'd step down to the galley and eat it there, before rinsing my mouth, face, and fingers and returning.

Really, it's no inconvenience.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Sounds like incompetence to me, the customer with the allergy was probably not seated in CW but the announcement was made aircraft wide, announcements can be made in each cabin separately.
On a recent A380 flight, an aircraft-wide announcement was made about not consuming nuts, while nuts were being served in F. When the CC in F were asked about this, the response was that it was ok since F had a separate air circulation system (along with the flight deck) to the rest of the aircraft. No idea if this is true.

In the end, the pax (who was apparently in WTP), was offloaded before departure due to medical concerns.

These nut-consumption announcements are something I’ve only recently heard much on BA, far more frequent on U2 in my experience.

nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:03 pm

allergies to dogs

I would love to see an area on planes that could be used to separate those with allergies from the items that cause allergies. I am very allergic to dogs and unfortunately, I have had to leave a plane because of my allergies... the dogs can stay, the people have to leave. I cannot help my allergies anymore than someone with allergies to peanuts. Just venting I guess there is no actual solution.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As I said up thread we (should) only stop serving nuts and make the announcement in the cabin the customer who has allergies is travelling on cabins that are separated by solid bulkheads,
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cbsione1
I would love to see an area on planes that could be used to separate those with allergies from the items that cause allergies. I am very allergic to dogs and unfortunately, I have had to leave a plane because of my allergies... the dogs can stay, the people have to leave. I cannot help my allergies anymore than someone with allergies to peanuts. Just venting I guess there is no actual solution.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum cbsione1, it's good to see you here, and I hope I can encourage you to post some more in the future too. On BA it's rare for dogs to be in the cabin, there's a greater than 99% chance of a flight being dog-free at least for the passenger areas.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
My daughter has a peanut allergy. On our flight last night we informed cabin crew (as recommended by BA). Turns out a member of the CC also had an allergy to peanuts. Passengers were requested not to eat them. Remember a two year old is a lot less likely to resist putting something they find into their mouths.

I was therefore disappointed when the cereal bar served with breakfast clearly stated ’may contain peanuts’.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Why not just have the nut allergy person wear a mask? If I was that vulnerable to airborne particles, that's what I would do rather than inconvenience everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.