Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Because it's enough sometimes to just come into contact with a nut, it doesn't have to be inhaled/ingested.

I'm an A&E doctor... Full blown anaphylaxis is terrifying. And for those with the most serious reactions it kills... Quickly. After all this: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...and-label-laws occurred on a BA flight.

Having said that, this is only risk reduction. It is easy to think of many situations both on and off an aircraft where potential contact could occur.

I had a nut ban on a KUL-LHR sector last year. Plenty of grumbles which was particularly saddening.

Out of interest, one for the cabin crew who frequent this forum, how many epipens are carried on an aircraft medical kit?
Well, as long as mikem004 gets his nuts, eh? Certainly the most ignorant post I've seen in a while. As another poster said, the "surgical masks" worn are not at all related to helping the wearer of the masks, but are for the benefit of everyone else. Indeed a courtesy thing we in the west should adapt.

Possibly N95-rated masks would help some, as I read they are claimed to be effective against at least some airborne allergens. I have used N95 masks myself for other reasons and know they are not very comfortable to wear for longer period of times, so I think it would be quite difficult to get a child to wear them for a plane ride, though an adult could suffer through it

It was very interesting to read the references to needle length in the tragic article you linked. I was not aware of this possible problem.
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Yeah, yeah. Angel on my right shoulder, devil on my left shoulder. Even comedians know what's right, though they joke about it.
​​​​​​The question is why do airplanes bring out the guy who actually says "I want my peanuts. To hell with that kid. If they won't serve peanuts, I'm bringing my own." I've seen that posted right here on FT. What's up with that?
It's one of those "can't fix stupid" things I suspect.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
That is not why people in Japan wear surgical masks. In many Asian countries, if someone wakes up with a cough or a sore throat and thinks they may have a cold coming on (or similar) they wear a mask so they don't pass on anything. Not for personal protection.
It's both. Certainly not just for altruistic reasons. Quite a few also wear it in the belief that it prevents hay fever.

And actually, for aeroplanes, for prevention of dry mouth and nose (that is in fact why JL amenity kit includes "moisture mask" - I thought they were like a moisturising mask for the face before I opened the pack!).

The effectiveness of commonly-used, average, cheap masks for sale over there against airborne contaminants is rather dubious though! Some on sale there are, let's say, rather porous.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Yes, of course, BA can not serve nuts on that flight, as an example, and ask fellow passengers not to consume them, but they have no legal control over another passenger eating nuts onboard. They have no way of knowing if the passenger 2 or 3 flights before consumed copious amounts of nuts in the seat in which that passenger with the allergy is now sat in or next to... Same in a restaurant or shop, or hotel. If travel of allergens can cause that severe a reaction, be they through contact or airborne... Then where does the level or risk and accountability stop?
They do have legal control. It's an instruction from cabin crew and we all know what happens if you don't follow the instructions.

Also what happens if the announcement goes off, someone eats nuts, causes a reaction because somehow they were sat next to the allergic person, and now the flight is diverting? Or if the allergy sufferer sues the person who ate nuts? Accountability is easy. If you know you shouldn't eat nuts and you do, you are accountable.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Slightly OT here, but I was recently surprised to hear the train manager on a train about to depart from Euston announce that due to a person with a severe allergy, could passengers in coach B not eat products containing nuts. He went on to say that there was space in another coach if people did wish to eat nut products.

First time I have ever heard this on a train.

BM
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by GlobeTrotOnPoints
yeah, but where does it stop?

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Sorry but I find that attitude very 'Daily Mail' like. An arguement against banning nuts on flights with people who might die from it being the never-ending realm of possible things that could be banned (which, btw, I would imagine be rather low once nuts are taken off).

And frankly I don't know where it ends - certainly I would never grumble about giving any food up on a plane if it meant someone survived the flight to the other end.
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
On my flight down from Glasgow on Friday they made an announcement that a passenger had a severe allergy to bananas and asked people to not eat them and keep them in their bag.
Quite interested in this thread, my aunt has a VERY severe egg allergy. Contact with / cross contamination with egg leads to Anaphylaxis, constriction of airways can happen if eggs are being cooked in a confined space near her. On a morning Short Haul flight would BA apply the same principle in this case? What would happen to breakfast in CE?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that she would be advised not to travel, currently we only have a peanut and nut based policy.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was on a LHR-NCL service affected, and there were a large number of executives from Japan heading presumably to the Nissan factory in Sunderland. I'm not entirely sure they understood the message.
Had this on a LHR-OSL service and the CC asked if someone could make the announcement in Norwegian.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was recently on a flight where a fellow passenger was yelling at the flight attendant because there were not "enough" vegan snack options. Apparently he did not fancy fruit.
What is insanely interesting? You can request vegan meals, but there is no option for "allergen free" meals. I have a severe fish allergy and some airlines make it a big more challenging then others.
I can not see Japan Airlines not serving fish, because I am on board. If I get a bit a juice, my throat will close. I still fly JAL, because sometime they fit best with my schedule/budget. After my first mishap have not eating on a 9 hour flight, I've learned to take care of myself.

That being said, I have no issue with not eating nuts on a flight. BUT there is no way, I trust 150 other strangers to not eat nuts to protect me from getting sick. I wouldn't doubt some jerk doing it just to prove a point.
Allergies are no joke, but one should take their own precautions and not trust others to do it for them.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
It seems half my posts on flyertalk are about this issue, but there is so much garbage information going around even among doctors (as can be seen from this thread).
Please remember - peanut allergy CAN NOT cause severe reactions unless you get peanut in your mouth (or nose). In those cases even trace amounts are dangerous, but peanut particles do not float in the air, they are too heavy for that.
The smell of peanuts does not cause any allergic reaction at all, physical contact can cause slight localised reddening in some cases of severe peanut allergy, and could probably be prevented by taking antihistamine before the contact. There is absolutely no need to wipe the surfaces (unless you're going to lick them, in which case I would hope you also wipe them afterwards).
Only thing you have to do is to read the labels of what you put in the patient's mouth, and think about possible cross-contamination. And enjoy your flight!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:25 am

I second this. My father was a physician in the Navy. His was on a Marine recruiting base one day and a group of Marines had just returned from a training run. They were eating "cheese" crackers. One Marine had peanut allergies and didn't realize that the crackers had peanut butter filling. He started showing signs of a reaction and by the time they could carry him to the Emergency Room (about five minutes) he was in cardiac arrest and died shortly afterward. True allergies can be serious stuff.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by mikem004
If I had such a nut allergy I would wear a surgical face mask, as commonly worn in Japan.
Why inconvenience everyone else on the flight?
I've twice seen the results my daughter coming into contact with peanuts which she is allergic to. I truly hope you never have to experience such a thing. If you really think that a reaction can be prevented by a surgical mask or that having an allergy "inconveniences" others, I'd be more than willing to suggest some reading material to enlighten you.
As to her experience when travelling with BA, I must say they have been exemplary, including allowing her to pre-board in order to sanitize the tray table and making an announcement asking that peanuts not be eaten during the journey. This is in stark contrast to UA who having been advised by her that she had an allergy, suggested that not travel on her return leg.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Is it really a great inconvenience? Worth risking a fellow person's life over?
Just how did these people survive before they started inconveniencing everyone else in the world?
offtothehills and chrisboote like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Am I the only one here at a loss to reconcile the facts/opinions here. They are either only dangerous if in physical contact as per aakaa or even the slightest whiff of them would affect you, as in many other posts. Do we have a definitive answer or is it the fact that the thought of having a reaction induces a panic reaction in some people? I can't see that both can be true and it would be good to know which was which.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by lloydah
Am I the only one here at a loss to reconcile the facts/opinions here. They are either only dangerous if in physical contact as per aakaa or even the slightest whiff of them would affect you, as in many other posts. Do we have a definitive answer or is it the fact that the thought of having a reaction induces a panic reaction in some people? I can't see that both can be true and it would be good to know which was which.
With both parties so convinced of their view and neither citing anything - I can't be sure. Only thing I know of is severe reactions to fish vapours. Such cases are extremely rare, but one of them was an example my consultant did work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.