Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by GCab
i’m afraid I simply don’t believe that someone opening a packet of nuts 5 seats away makes the slightest difference. Contamination of the actual food is the real risk and this can surely be managed with some proper precautions (as opposed to voodoo).
I flew Ryan Air last night and they made a peanut allergy call over the tannoy. It was the usual 20/30 min turnaround with a quick clean and I noticed a couple of crushed peanuts on the floor under my seat. I cant see how me eating nuts is any worse than that.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My daughter has a severe nut allergy, and always checks out flights/restaurants/countries she visits in advance. If she is concerned, she will duck out of events. I would have thought that anyone with a severe allergy would do that. For those countries which are "risky" for nuts, she is extra vigilant. (She has just come back from a holiday in Turkey where nuts get in to lots of things)
wrp96 and mikem004 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are no easy answers here, and frankly there's no point blaming anyone, but as this issue is becoming more frequent I think the process for travellers with nut allergies particularly needs to reconsidered. It;s not going to go away. I fear that it won't make flying any easier for those with severe allergies.
The problem is BA policy which allows the nut sensitive to waltz on to an aircraft and without notice impose their demands on an entire aircraft. Other airlines are not as accommodating. Air Canada for example requires requires 48 hours advance and proof the passenger is carrying an easily accessible Epi-Pen before granting a demand for a nut "buffer zone."

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...allergies.html

To request a buffer zone*, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk at least 48 hours before your flight, regardless of your itinerary. We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.
shefgab and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now of course the CW menu would have been visible to the passenger group 30 days in advance (approx) and I don't know whether they realised it, or if they did , perhaps they rationalised that the other options could be served instead. I know if they had contacted BA and asked for another menu to be served, that would not have been taken up. It is also the fact that nuts and legumes are a key part of Middle Eastern catering.
1. It's a purely parochial point but thanks CWS for satisfying my curiosity as to what happened to BA73 yesterday. I was a passenger on the returning BA72 and was intrigued how a flight that seemed to be on time even up to boarding went on to be delayed by two hours! Thankfully for we BA72 passengers (no comfort to those on BA73) nearly all the time was made up by a quicker than usual turnaround and favourable winds so my flight wasn't much affected in the end.

2. More generally it does seem peculiar that the 'system' here seems to be for passengers with nut allergies to notify the crew on boarding rather than tell the airline in advance. In the case of yesterday's flight, complying with the passenger request at that late stage would have had a very serious impact on service for others on board, and surely it would have been better if BA asked for advance warning of this issue and then actually responded by planning around it?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
I had an allergic reaction to peanuts today. Ate at one of the frozen yogurt shops with 50,239 toppings. Someone must've dropped a piece of peanut in one of the bins I pulled toppings from, as the allergic reaction started not long after. I'm now very drugged up on Benadryl.
I’m sorry this happened to you.

But ... so, you’re happy serving yourself fast food toppings from open dispensers in a place where nuts are served alongside?

if you don’t mind me saying so, this seems outright foolish, after all your comments here about other precautions you expect from other people. These are dry products and there’s no guarantee someone will think it necessary to do something even as basic as washing out the dust from a previous batch if a bin is repurposed. This looks like something just waiting to happen, and it’s for a completely non-essential item.

its your life of course, but it seems out of kilter with what you expect other people to do for you.

zanderblue and mikem004 like this.

Last edited by GCab; Jul 16, 2019 at 7:23 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by GCab
I think this takes us back to the point about whether the idea of the whole plane being decontaminated for one person really makes any sense.

Surely it would make far more sense to have some kind of allergy-safe meal package (appropriate for class - this isn’t about being discriminatory or forcing a cold sandwich onto a CW allergy sufferer) which was sealed, heated with the foil seal still on, etc. etc. so no risk of crumb contamination in galley until opened at seat. This may sound involved but at least you are then taking special measures for the affected person, rather than trying to manage hundreds of orhers

i’m afraid I simply don’t believe that someone opening a packet of nuts 5 seats away makes the slightest difference. Contamination of the actual sufferer’s food is the real risk and this can surely be managed with some proper precautions including dedicated (pre-ordered) food packs, policies and training, rather than voodoo “we will not be selling ...” announcements.
They made the announcement on our flight to St Lucia on Friday

They happily served nuts with drinks in CW following this announcement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.