Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Arriving in First - Accessing Concorde Room - Aborting Connecting Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving in First - Accessing Concorde Room - Aborting Connecting Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For the second point, if you haven't already travelled then I would book an Avios ticket which could be cancelled at 24 hours with the loss only of the the RFS fee (Ł17.50 assuming it is a single). Otherwise you need to have a fairly forensic knowledge of ticketing to work out which ticketing route is the most viable.
I'll check the cost of changing the last leg to Glasgow after my outbound journey. If it is too expensive, I'll look at the cost of a one way ticket. At that point it will be 2 weeks away. My back up plan will be Virgin First Class rail or even the new Caledonian Sleeper, which may be worth trying since I have a Senior Railcard.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Downgraded High-Flyer; Apr 9, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RGS5526
How would the cost of changing the booking from MIA-LHR-INV to MIA-LHR-GLA before checking in in MIA compare with the price of a stand-alone LHR-GLA ticket?
From Ł0 (or even a small refund) to Ł3,000 approximately! So quite a scale and so that's why you need a forensic study of the fare conditions to know what happens. It's not so much the "before checking in" aspect, it is more that the usual fare conditions state that a reprice on historical fares can be calculated after travel has commenced. You then need to see what INV-MIA-GLA would have cost at the time of purchase, and on some tickets there would be no effective difference, indeed the Carrier Surcharge between GLA and MIA could be lower than INV-MIA. The big benefit, particularly for premium cabins, is the lack of APD from INV, but BA claw some of that back via higher carrier surcharges from INV. However there is simply no APD on a USA to UK flight anyway, so long as there isn't a stopover, so at that point there is no difference between INV and GLA tax wise. However I have noticed that some return fares do not allow a cost effective swap between INV and GLA.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Downgraded High-Flyer
I'll check the cost of changing the last leg to Glasgow after my outbound journey. If it is too expensive, I'll look at the cost of a one way ticket. At that point it will be 2 weeks away. My back up plan will be Virgin First Class rail or even the new Caledonian Sleeper, which may be worth trying since I have a Senior Railcard.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Do you know what the standard change fee for your First booking is? Could it be Ł150?

Am I correct in saying that all First Class longhaul tickets book into J class for shorthaul connections? In this case (and unless married sector logic is at play), then I suspect a change after departure will be the Ł150 change fee only?

EDIT: Just read the post above mine, it's probably safer to follow that advice than my suspicions!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cauchy
Do you know what the standard change fee for your First booking is? Could it be Ł150?

Am I correct in saying that all First Class longhaul tickets book into J class for shorthaul connections? In this case (and unless married sector logic is at play), then I suspect a change after departure will be the Ł150 change fee only?

EDIT: Just read the post above mine, it's probably safer to follow that advice than my suspicions!
Just checked with the call centre. The cost to change the last leg to Glasgow now is Ł300. She did spend a good 15 minutes trying to find a way of doing it for less, but without success.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:12 am

Just checked with the call centre. The cost to change the last leg to Glasgow now is Ł300. She did spend a good 15 minutes trying to find a way of doing it for less, but without success.
If you go into Manage My Booking on the website, scroll to the flight, and then select "Change / cancel booking" it might say something like "Time/date changes permitted at any time for the difference in fare. Changes subject to availability" (unlikely) or something else. What does this say - this would give you the best-case scenario.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

If you go into Manage My Booking on the website, scroll to the flight, and then select "Change / cancel booking" it might say something like "Time/date changes permitted at any time for the difference in fare. Changes subject to availability" (unlikely) or something else. What does this say - this would give you the best-case scenario.
Both on the phone app and the website, when I click on "Change booking" it says "Sorry but we are currently unable to change or cancel your booking online. Please call 0344 493 0762 to change your booking." Which is what I did.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:09 am

Both on the phone app and the website, when I click on "Change booking" it says "Sorry but we are currently unable to change or cancel your booking online. Please call 0344 493 0762 to change your booking." Which is what I did.
Ah okay, I was trying to figure out what the change fee (in addition to any recalculation of the fare and taxes) would be - as this would be the minimum amount you'd have to pay. For a flexible ticket, the change fee is Ł0, for other UK-departing tickets its likely Ł150 or Ł300. Some tickets are totally unchangeable (but that's not what we have here). If the Ł300 is your change fee (and that's quite possible with a first class ticket), then I'm afraid it's not going to get cheaper.

Also check what the cancellation fee on the ticket is - there are some first class fares that have a Ł300 change fee, and a Ł150 cancellation fee (before starting the trip). If this is the case, then a completely new ticket is an option.

The Ł50 deal seems like the best bet then?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

If the Ł300 is your change fee (and that's quite possible with a first class ticket), then I'm afraid it's not going to get cheaper.

Also check what the cancellation fee on the ticket is - there are some first class fares that have a Ł300 change fee, and a Ł150 cancellation fee (before starting the trip). If this is the case, then a completely new ticket is an option.

The Ł50 deal seems like the best bet then?
Cancellation is not an option, as the same flights (class T out, class A return) are now coming up at Ł1947, over Ł600 more.

Having slept on it, I have decided to buy the Ł47 one way ticket to Glasgow.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hopefully a quick one. Can i access CC Room if my outbound flight from LHR is in Club though inbound is First?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by wdcosta117
Hopefully a quick one. Can i access CC Room if my outbound flight from LHR is in Club though inbound is First?
No.
I answered this assuming this was an outbound from LHR followed by a later inbound to LHR from the way the question was phrased. If, as everyone else seems to have surmised, this is an inbound to LHR in F followed by a same day outbound from LHR in J, then you are entitled to access under BA access rules.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28247202-post2.html

Sorry for any confusion wdcosta117 .

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 18, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I thought that was a yes? Has something changed recently? (assuming this is a connection, not the return part of a trip)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by wdcosta117
First to Club Europe (i.e. short haul)- yes
First to Club World (i.e. long-haul)- no (strictly, but I would be tempted to ask the lounge agent)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
oneworld rules relate to long haul to short haul only, or reverse, and don't cover long haul to long haul.

However, BA's own rules are a bit more generous and a BA F inbound to LHR connecting same day on to any BA flight in any cabin departing T5 would get access to the CCR during the connection.

So for wdcosta117 if arriving on BA F and doing a same day connection to a BA flight departing T5, they would get access to the CCR during the connection. As noted, you need to show your inbound F bp as well as your onward bp at CCR reception.
Tobias-UK and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Actually, I am less sure than I was.
This is from an old lounge access guide:

I would be very tempted to ask for the advice of the lounge agent.

Edit: cross-posted with KARFA, I would listen to him, and I think that is good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.