JAL seat selection (booked via ba.com)

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
JAL seat selection (booked via ba.com)

I have a single booking LHR-HND-OKA-OKA-HND-LHR, all JAL metal, booked on ba.com

I am not able to figure out how to reserve seats. Is the only way to do this to call JAL office? We are flying end of June. Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
I have a single booking LHR-HND-OKA-OKA-HND-LHR, all JAL metal, booked on ba.com

I am not able to figure out how to reserve seats. Is the only way to do this to call JAL office? We are flying end of June. Thanks!
no it usually works online on the Jl website assuming jl flight numbers
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic

Thanks but how would I know the required JAL's "reservation number" without calling? It's not shown on Manage My Booking on BA and the Check My Trip site I used to get this type of info is no longer available.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Thanks but how would I know the required JAL's "reservation number" without calling? It's not shown on Manage My Booking on BA and the Check My Trip site I used to get this type of info is no longer available.
Try just using the BA PNR - this works for me in any case for an Avios booking (PEK-TYO) for next month.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic

Try just using the BA PNR - this works for me in any case for an Avios booking (PEK-TYO) for next month.
I tried this already and unfortunately didn't work (booking not found). I quick Google search revealed I need JAL reservation number, although some people commented they called JAL and were told they can select only 72h before the flight (if not booked with JAL directly). Not sure this is right though.

The flight was booked with a hotel, so via BA Hols, although this should make no difference I would think.

Last edited by OGG flyer; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:29 am Reason: extra information added
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Try this site and clicking on the manage my booking tab. For the booking reference try the one you received from BA.

JAPAN AIRLINES (JAL) - United Kingdom & Ireland Region - Airfare to Japan (Tokyo)
turbov6 and JonLC like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I go to https://www.jal.co.jp/en/ then click on International flights, click on "Manager my International Booking", click on "Manage booking". Select "SEARCH BY RESERVATION INFORMATION", enter the flight number of the first flight, date of departure, last name, first name and finally the reservation number, which is the PNR from BA (6 digit/alpha code).

That brings up my reservation, which allows to select seats and food.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I know that the methods reported above do not work for some bookings (JL website will return the "booking not found" message).

I am not sure what stops them from working, but I know for the fact it didn't work for some of my bookings (and I do know what I'm doing on JL site, having done it many times).

BA did it for me over the phone in the end.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know that the methods reported above do not work for some bookings (JL website will return the "booking not found" message).

I am not sure what stops them from working, but I know for the fact it didn't work for some of my bookings (and I do know what I'm doing on JL site, having done it many times).

BA did it for me over the phone in the end.
This is correct, BA's PNR is not working: I already tried using BA's PNR with the methods suggested earlier. I will give BA a call later and report back - once I overcome my OGG-LHR jetlag (GMT-11 is absolutely killing me, though been doing this route frequently for 7 years now....)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:16 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Perhaps the fact it was booked through BA holidays may be the culprit since I had no problems recently selecting my seats on a JAL F Avios redemption so BA ticket. Used the same PNR.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Perhaps the fact it was booked through BA holidays may be the culprit since I had no problems recently selecting my seats on a JAL F Avios redemption so BA ticket. Used the same PNR.
Same here. Flying out soon for a few days in Tokyo and then cruising back to Vancouver.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I had a similar issue when I booked a JAL flight through AA. I ended up having to call. Any time i tried to select seats I would get an error message.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Try this site and clicking on the manage my booking tab. For the booking reference try the one you received from BA.

JAPAN AIRLINES (JAL) - United Kingdom & Ireland Region - Airfare to Japan (Tokyo)
KARFA, thank you so much for this link-- I'm also flying JAL, booked with Avios, and had not been able to change my seat assignment. (And I hadn't been able to muster the energy to call.) This worked!
mhy likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by Gshumway
Same here. Flying out soon for a few days in Tokyo and then cruising back to Vancouver.
Exactly what I did last year - repo cruise on HAL Volendam, Yokohama to Vancouver. Flew F on JAL using Avios. Very nice.

Following advice from CPH-Flyer, I called BA to get JAL's PNR.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
I don't think there's such thing as JL PNR* anymore, since they moved to Amadeus in Nov 2017.

*A PNR different than BA's, that is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.