Wiki Posts
Search

CW / F Upgrade (Or not)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
CW / F Upgrade (Or not)

I am flying from LHR to HKG at the beginning of September.

I am booked on WT +

At the moment I am being quoted £1100 to upgrade to CW or £1300 to upgrade to F

So, a few questions
1. Is the upgrade price reasonable? (It is a 13 hour flight - and I have a slipped disc)
2. As it's only £200 difference between CW and F, is it worth spending the extra £200 to go from CW to F?
3. Is it worth hanging on for the 'offers' that appear from time to time instead? (I am going to get Gold Status in a few weeks, am silver at the moment, does that have any influence on the offers that are available?)
4. I have seen upgrades to CW & F for much more, for shorted flights, does anyone know how long they might stay at this price, do they increase 'a bit' at a time, or just jump up in price?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Really only you can decide if it is a reasonable price or not. But as you say you have seen higher prices for shorter flights.

Being gold won't affect the offers you might get. They could have gone tomorrow let alone in a couple of weeks for example if they sell the F seats to someone else they can't sell it to you.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The question "is it worth it" is way too subjective to answer definitively. It depends on so many factors:

How much do you personally value the additional comfort?
How much do you personally value £1300?

One thing I will say, however, is this:

If you are at all going to countenance the idea of spending £1100 to go from W to J (personally I wouldn't, but then I don't have a slipped disc), then you would be mad not to lay out the extra £200 to go from J to F. Cripes, you can drink the better part of £200 in the CCR!

Following my sample of F Last year, it is definitely a step up from J. More space, no studious eye-contact avoidance with your seatmate, better catering and, best of all, no climb-over factor.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also is your flight to HKG on the 777 or A380?

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
£1300 W to F is definitely much better value than £1100 W to J. As others have said, it all depends on what you want and how much you value it though.
The_Bouncer, abligh and AnttiV like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

(I thought I had posted a reply, but it's not appeared, if I ending posting twice, it's me being impatient.

The flight to HK is going out on A380, flying back on 777 (I did upgrade the flight back to F already, definately need the bed for the red eye)

Last month I flew back from Barbados in Economy (managed to get one of those £100 flights) - which with the slipped disc was a painful experience. Might be that in September it's all fixed, but might be just the same.

I don't mind spending £1100 (or £1300 on an upgrade to F) - but have got 2 trips to Bermuda in the next month (one work and one holiday) - so have had a reasonable outlay recently, so was seeing if people have experience of how long an upgrade stays at a 'reasonable price' - or when offers might come out, as seem to get them fairly regularly.

I was having a look at seeing if I could upgrade with Avios, at the moment there is no availability, do you know if when I turn Gold, will I get more availability to upgrade, or is that not a thing?

Cheers
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional Reward space for Golds is Y only...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Additional Reward space for Golds is Y only...
Y is first, isn't it?

I haven't memorised all the codes yet
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Well, how much was your original ticket and how much is an F return? Deduct the difference and that'll tell you if it's good value on one front.
​​​​​​
​​​If it's the A380 then it's good. Also one of the best lounges in the world with CX F.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Well, how much was your original ticket and how much is an F return? Deduct the difference and that'll tell you if it's good value on one front.
​​​​​​
​​​If it's the A380 then it's good. Also one of the best lounges in the world with CX F.
I didn't have to pay for the original ticket - just for an upgrade

At the moment, first class return in F to HK is £3,398, so about £1700 each way.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Y is economy
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I don't think BA CW or F is worth 1100/1300 one way,over premium economy, but having a slipped disk may change your pov.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Where are you getting the offers? I have a CW flight in April I would consider buying up to F on.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I would take the First option. For and extra 200 over business it’s worth it imho. The new soft product and more space,
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
If I was considering £1100 for J as a real possibility then I would 100% spend the extra £200 for F instead. It’s 100% worth the extra outlay for the smaller cabin and new soft product should be a step up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.