MAN airport security disaster

Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
In the last 4 weeks I've had secondary screening 2x DUB, 1x EDI, CWL & LCY. I've concluded there's something not in the public domain.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Sounds like Glasgow! Seems that EasyJet has bumped BA down a few desks from the prime position they have held for decades!
Which now apart from bag drop and some randoms no longer require a full row of open desks all day, so dont see what issue is at GLA. Ive rarely seen a queue at the desks they do have now.
But we diverge from the topic...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by icebird

No, it’s not a hyperbole. If you know the layout of the airport and search twitter for photos of this evening’s shambolic management, you’ll see why it might be a disaster for a lot of people.
It’s a major inconvenience, hassle, shambles, farce, whatever, but no-one died. It’s not a disaster.
Poor use of words considering the close proximity of an actual disaster.
AlanA likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
I've concluded there's something not in the public domain.
This is true.

But, it's also always true! :-)
Deltus and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

That’s really not been my experience at MAN T3 the last 6 months or so, yes some staff still have attitude but I’ve found queues not too bad at all outside of peak travel times.
Yes, outside peak times is mostly acceptable, although the shared scanner between fast track and non fast track can quickly lead to chaos with only mild increases in bags called for secondary, and is one of the poorest layouts for fast track anywhere.

But the key thing is that at peak times - which is when fast track is supposed to offer its most critical / valuable benefit - the shared scanner layout cannot cope and fast track (and indeed the whole of T3 security) is dreadful.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
One issue with Ryanair at MAN is that the old location meant long queues down the narrow corridor near the desks. Anybody coming up the lift or escalator at that point in the terminal could easily become trapped in a bottle neck as people queue for the very few desks they had open. The new location is much wider and should, hopefully allow for a more effective wiring system. Whereas BA used a decent amount of space but rarely had queues.

Many reports of MAN security being problematic with some very odd secondary searches. I had one recently and they had no idea why it had been put through (not random). I was travelling light and only a few clothes in the case as everything else was in different trays. They are a law unto themselves and the layout does not help anybody.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

That’s really not been my experience at MAN T3 the last 6 months or so, yes some staff still have attitude but I’ve found queues not too bad at all outside of peak travel times.
But that's the thing. The last six months have been outside of MAN's peak travel times. Now that it's summer again, it looks like we're at serious risk of going back to the previous rolling shambles.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by manord
The shared scanner between fast track and non fast track can quickly lead to chaos with only mild increases in bags called for secondary, and is one of the poorest layouts for fast track anywhere.
I'm not sure which is worse: the currently layout or the previous one where fast track was shared with the families and special assistance lane. For some reason, MAN don't seem to understand what fast track is supposed to be.

People doing a repack (non-bagged liquids usually) at the tray line seems to have become commonplace - they need to move people away whilst they repack. The other week two of the five positions at T3 fast track were occupied with repackers who took at least 10 mins to sort themselves out - I queued for 30 mins in fast track so I had plenty of time to observe.

They could abolish fast track completely and just have two types of lane for everyone:
  1. People who haven't got a clue
  2. People who know what they're doing
The lanes need to be screened so they are not visible to the other queue. Signs warning of tigers, crocodiles and big hairy spiders should be placed at the entrance to the second queue.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by madfish
One issue with Ryanair at MAN is that the old location meant long queues down the narrow corridor near the desks. Anybody coming up the lift or escalator at that point in the terminal could easily become trapped in a bottle neck as people queue for the very few desks they had open. The new location is much wider and should, hopefully allow for a more effective wiring system. Whereas BA used a decent amount of space but rarely had queues.

Many reports of MAN security being problematic with some very odd secondary searches. I had one recently and they had no idea why it had been put through (not random). I was travelling light and only a few clothes in the case as everything else was in different trays. They are a law unto themselves and the layout does not help anybody.
Their scanners apparently can't cope if you have too many layers in your bag. At least this was the excuse last month.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421
Their scanners apparently can't cope if you have too many layers in your bag. At least this was the excuse last month.
And the MAN scanners “can’t see through your bag of cables”. This is a small bag of charging leads that are never stopped elsewhere I travel.
Silver Fox and 12939 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
In the last 4 weeks I've had secondary screening 2x DUB, 1x EDI, CWL & LCY. I've concluded there's something not in the public domain.
I've never NOT had secondary screening at T3 at MAN. I'm one of those people that does everything like I'm supposed to - no liquids with me at all, pockets totally empty, belt off (in case it trips the detector), mobile in the carry-on, laptop out of the bag, etc etc etc. And I get secondary at MAN. Every time.

When I was at MAN on March 17, I watched the number of carry-on bags sent for secondary. Approx 1/3 of carry-on bags went through directly and approx 2/3 were sent for secondary. Including mine. Secondary search on my bag turned up nothing. Literally nothing. Agent that conducted the secondary had no explanation. So entire process takes 1+ hours, even though I've done EVERYTHING that I should.

I am convinced that those monitoring the screens at MAN don't know what they are doing. BHX has just as many infrequent travelers as MAN, yet the staff there seem to get the job done with a minimum of inconvenience.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I've never been to Manchester (the city or the airport) and have no plans to, but this thread has put me off.

It really does sound grim up north...
Dover2Golf and tedcruz like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
It really does sound grim up north...
Not all of it! Just MAN
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA
Its been like that for years.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
I am convinced that those monitoring the screens at MAN don't know what they are doing. BHX has just as many infrequent travelers as MAN, yet the staff there seem to get the job done with a minimum of inconvenience.
I'm led to believe that the Security staff behind the screens are constantly under the threat of disciplinary action for missing potential dangers, especially when the mystery shoppers from the DfT are playing their games. "If in doubt, throw it out" is a saying within the Security department.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.