FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Back-to-back (B2B) / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1964325-back-back-b2b-immediate-turnarounds-ba-destinations.html)

Prospero Apr 7, 2019 7:47 am

Back-to-back (B2B) / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations

This is the continuation of the popular https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html thread.

The wiki post has been rebuilt and hopefully improved upon with the introduction of a rudimentary traffic light system. At the moment the links contained in the wiki point to posts in the old thread but when the time comes to update the information, might I request that the old links are replaced with new links posted in this thread (as and when they are ready)

Related threads:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...b-dur-cpt.html

IntVic Apr 7, 2019 2:45 pm

Just completed an INV b2b returned to LHR on BA1471. With this flight being penultimate departure for the day no line in security but still used Fast Track lane which was open. From seat 2c to departure gate took 5 minutes max. Only problem is a broken air bridge at LHR so waiting to disembark, hence time to knock out this update.

Globaliser Apr 8, 2019 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 30974324)
The wiki post has been rebuilt and hopefully improved upon with the introduction of a rudimentary traffic light system.

That is a huge improvement - thank you!

youngfogey Apr 8, 2019 2:51 am

Hi all,

I’m looking to book a b2b to Helsinki which looking at this lovely refreshed wiki looks feasible.

I’m, however, having difficulty with BA.com, it won’t let me book it (there is a 50 minute turnaround and I think MCT is 35 minutes). Is this normal? And if it is I guess I need to call BA to book.

if I book on the phone will I still be able to use avios to discount my fare (I am avios rich and cash poor at the moment....).

ta.

KARFA Apr 8, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by youngfogey (Post 30977208)
Hi all,

I’m looking to book a b2b to Helsinki which looking at this lovely refreshed wiki looks feasible.

I’m, however, having difficulty with BA.com, it won’t let me book it (there is a 50 minute turnaround and I think MCT is 35 minutes). Is this normal? And if it is I guess I need to call BA to book.

if I book on the phone will I still be able to use avios to discount my fare (I am avios rich and cash poor at the moment....).

ta.

Yes it's normal ba.com doesn't like to book b2bs even if they are MCT compliant - MCT would be 35 minutes for this so it should be bookable. You will have to call to book it as a return. The terms and conditions for part pay with avios do say you should be able to do it either on ba.com or by phone with BAEC so that should work.

youngfogey Apr 8, 2019 4:38 am

Thanks KARFA, much appreciated.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 8, 2019 4:47 am

This thread has several uses, and it should be pointed out, given the refresh, is that this thread can be helpful for people with separate tickets, in other words booking a third country itinerary. For example booking HEL-LHR-PHX rather than LHR-PHX with a separate LHR-HEL ticket to link into the longhaul. This thread indicates that it isn't too risky to do this and to some extent what we are talking here are those locations where booking a true back to back wouldn't be too risky with 2 tickets: The return flight can't depart for 35 to 45 minutes minutes after the outbound service. Essentially the question is whether that 35 minutes is enough time for you to arrive and get around to the departure gate.

Clearly doing it on one ticket also gives you protection to a degree but personally I think it is easy to overstress the advantage of a single ticket on a back to back, if you didn't get to the return service's gate 20 minutes before advertised departure time then that protection is potentially toast anyway. And if you're in a smaller airport with 3 services a week, with Iberia doing the handling, and it's 23:00 hrs, then good luck with extracting that protection! That's my personal view.

And while I'm here, this thread is rather less useful for those who want to take non B2B services, perhaps on the basis that an extra 3 hours gives more comfort to the connection - that is potentially a false sense of security since if the outbound is delayed, the inbound - on a different aircraft and crew - could still run on time. Clearly if you have checked baggage a true B2B becomes very difficult, I have only found one or two places where this is possible (e.g. some LGW-CGN services, some LCY services to places like Dublin and Milan). In which case, it may be better to make a virtue of a visit to the city concerned, and go the night before.

UKtravelbear Apr 8, 2019 8:09 am

I like the new layout Thanks to those that did the hard work. This wiki isn't going to suit everyone but it is a good resource.

Might I suggest that at airports that get BA flights from multiple BA destinations (e.g. AMS) that a note is added that the traffic lights only apply if you are doing a true B2B and not e.g. an inbound from LCY and an outbound to LHR. I know that wouldn't be a trye B2B but we have had questions about this in the past.

martin102 Apr 8, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30977829)
I like the new layout Thanks to those that did the hard work. This wiki isn't going to suit everyone but it is a good resource.

Might I suggest that at airports that get BA flights from multiple BA destinations (e.g. AMS) that a note is added that the traffic lights only apply if you are doing a true B2B and not e.g. an inbound from LCY and an outbound to LHR. I know that wouldn't be a trye B2B but we have had questions about this in the past.

I posted on the old thread on Saturday to watch a B2B at Edinburgh on Saturday or Sunday. At the moment on a couple of flights to Heathrow BA are slot filling and therefore you are not guaranteed that the aircraft you land on is the one scheduled to operate what looks like the return back to Heathrow. On Saturday one aircraft sat at Edinburgh for almost 7 hours. Suspect it will resolve itself in a few weeks time.

Prospero Apr 8, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30977829)

I amended the wording in the wiki describing the transfer categories, to

• Back to back: Immediate turnarounds without checked baggage, with an airside transfer and flying out on the same aircraft that operated the inbound flight
  • Transfer: Immediate turnarounds without checked baggage, with an airside transfer and flying out on a different aircraft (or airline) to the one that operated the inbound flight
  • Landside: Full arrival and departure sequence. It is assumed check-in for the onward flight is processed prior to the arrival at the airport.

Does add clarity?

pythonisman Apr 8, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks for this update - it looks good and I think it's a bit clearer to me (I'm more of a visual person).

I've got an FCO-LHR-SIN booked later this year, and flying down to Rome the night before may prove hard timing wise, so considering doing a back-to-back.

If so, would plan to drop luggage at LHR for BA11 and fly HLO from LHR-FCO and back; but I'm not too sure what the comments actually mean?

FCO: Three orange smileys
Back to back: Reasonable (return shuttle to main terminal); Transfer: Reasonable; Landside: Reasonable

I flew to and from FCO a few months ago and if I'm honest I don't remember much about getting to/from the plane so not sure if my potential plan is foolish or not.

onobond Apr 8, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 30978068)
I amended the wording in the wiki describing the transfer categories, to
  • Back to back: Immediate turnarounds without checked baggage, with an airside transfer and flying out on the same aircraft that operated the inbound flight
  • Transfer: Immediate turnarounds without checked baggage, with an airside transfer and flying out on a different aircraft (or airline) to the one that operated the inbound flight
  • Landside: Full arrival and departure sequence. It is assumed check-in for the onward flight is processed prior to the arrival at the airport.

Does add clarity?

Clear to (less) partly clear ^

flyuk Apr 8, 2019 3:05 pm

Although it's not strictly B2B, I have 2 hours between BA flights at AMS. With luggage, is it viable?

Steve_ZA Apr 8, 2019 3:13 pm

I

Originally Posted by flyuk (Post 30979305)
Although it's not strictly B2B, I have 2 hours between BA flights at AMS. With luggage, is it viable?

I would say that is viable but very risky.

The combination of long walks, immigration and waiting for bags, you would need your inbound flight to be perfectly on time for success.

Are you you switching between London airports as part of this adventure?

Physci Apr 8, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyuk (Post 30979305)

AMS has a 1 hour luggage check-in cut-off, so with (say) 30 mins to get luggage from arriving plane that ought to be doable (just) but if your inbound is delayed you will risk missing the check-in cut-off.