Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cash Fare or Redeem Avios for San Francisco to Sydney?

Old Apr 7, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to fly Qantas on this route as the timing fits me perfectly. I'm sort of surprised that LAX-SYD's timing isn't as good as SFO-SYD. Anyways, for the dates that I have in mind, SFO-SYD can be purchased on QF for US$665 return. That seems like a pretty decent price for Y. I have a lot of Avios that I would love to use, but unfortunately there aren't any J seats available for the dates that I have in mind. For Y, it's 50,000 Avios or 100,000 Avios return with minimal taxes. Given how cheap cash fare is at the moment, am I better off buying the ticket instead of redeeming? What would you guys do?
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] As this thread is about redeeming Avios I am moving it to the BA forum. [/mod hat]
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Cash since it is cheap. It would be a waste of Avios when it can be put to better use IMO.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to fly Qantas on this route as the timing fits me perfectly. I'm sort of surprised that LAX-SYD's timing isn't as good as SFO-SYD. Anyways, for the dates that I have in mind, SFO-SYD can be purchased on QF for US$665 return. That seems like a pretty decent price for Y. I have a lot of Avios that I would love to use, but unfortunately there aren't any J seats available for the dates that I have in mind. For Y, it's 50,000 Avios or 100,000 Avios return with minimal taxes. Given how cheap cash fare is at the moment, am I better off buying the ticket instead of redeeming? What would you guys do?
The "taxes" may be minimal; what about the carrier charges when redeeming Avios on QF?
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
That's a no brainer. At the $665, just buy the cheap fare and save Avios for shorter, more efficient flights.
Your alternative is 100,000 Avios and $111.22 in taxes and fees. So, the net cost of buying the ticket is only $554. And you earn some Avios or AAdvantage miles.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
[mod hat] As this thread is about redeeming Avios I am moving it to the BA forum. [/mod hat]
Oh sorry, I thought Qantas forum was the best spot since I was asking about the flight on QF.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The "taxes" may be minimal; what about the carrier charges when redeeming Avios on QF?
None. I was quite surprised. It's almost like as if Australia banned the carrier surcharges like what New Zealand does.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Cash since it is cheap. It would be a waste of Avios when it can be put to better use IMO.
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
That's a no brainer. At the $665, just buy the cheap fare and save Avios for shorter, more efficient flights.
Your alternative is 100,000 Avios and $111.22 in taxes and fees. So, the net cost of buying the ticket is only $554. And you earn some Avios or AAdvantage miles.
Thanks guys.

My thinking was that 100,000 Avios is a bit steep for economy even if it's a 14 hour flight to SYD. Another issue is how cheap airfare is to SYD from SFO. I suppose if the cash fare was closer to US$1000, I wouldn't be asking this question.
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
You can earn >12k Alaska miles on this trip. That's worth about $180.
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
You can earn >12k Alaska miles on this trip. That's worth about $180.
AS also has a double miles promo with Qantas flights to OZ at the moment, I think.
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Of course, for 100,000 Avios, the OP could fly SFO-SYD-HKG-TYO-SFO -- with stopovers at each city -- on a BAEC multi-partner award. Not sure what the taxes/carrier charges would be on the additional segments, however.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
100K Avios are worth four transcontinental roundtrips with AA or five roundtrips to Dallas or Chicago from SFO. That seems a better use than saving $655 on the flight to OZ.
lsquare likes this.