Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cash Fare or Redeem Avios for San Francisco to Sydney?

Cash Fare or Redeem Avios for San Francisco to Sydney?

Reply

Old Apr 7, 19, 4:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Cash Fare or Redeem Avios for San Francisco to Sydney?

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to fly Qantas on this route as the timing fits me perfectly. I'm sort of surprised that LAX-SYD's timing isn't as good as SFO-SYD. Anyways, for the dates that I have in mind, SFO-SYD can be purchased on QF for US$665 return. That seems like a pretty decent price for Y. I have a lot of Avios that I would love to use, but unfortunately there aren't any J seats available for the dates that I have in mind. For Y, it's 50,000 Avios or 100,000 Avios return with minimal taxes. Given how cheap cash fare is at the moment, am I better off buying the ticket instead of redeeming? What would you guys do?
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:41 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,902
[mod hat] As this thread is about redeeming Avios I am moving it to the BA forum. [/mod hat]
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:55 pm
  #3  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 20,858
Cash since it is cheap. It would be a waste of Avios when it can be put to better use IMO.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:03 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 20,826
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to fly Qantas on this route as the timing fits me perfectly. I'm sort of surprised that LAX-SYD's timing isn't as good as SFO-SYD. Anyways, for the dates that I have in mind, SFO-SYD can be purchased on QF for US$665 return. That seems like a pretty decent price for Y. I have a lot of Avios that I would love to use, but unfortunately there aren't any J seats available for the dates that I have in mind. For Y, it's 50,000 Avios or 100,000 Avios return with minimal taxes. Given how cheap cash fare is at the moment, am I better off buying the ticket instead of redeeming? What would you guys do?
The "taxes" may be minimal; what about the carrier charges when redeeming Avios on QF?
guv1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:19 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,080
That's a no brainer. At the $665, just buy the cheap fare and save Avios for shorter, more efficient flights.
Your alternative is 100,000 Avios and $111.22 in taxes and fees. So, the net cost of buying the ticket is only $554. And you earn some Avios or AAdvantage miles.
lsquare likes this.
SFO777 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:37 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
[mod hat] As this thread is about redeeming Avios I am moving it to the BA forum. [/mod hat]
Oh sorry, I thought Qantas forum was the best spot since I was asking about the flight on QF.
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:38 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The "taxes" may be minimal; what about the carrier charges when redeeming Avios on QF?
None. I was quite surprised. It's almost like as if Australia banned the carrier surcharges like what New Zealand does.
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:40 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Cash since it is cheap. It would be a waste of Avios when it can be put to better use IMO.
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
That's a no brainer. At the $665, just buy the cheap fare and save Avios for shorter, more efficient flights.
Your alternative is 100,000 Avios and $111.22 in taxes and fees. So, the net cost of buying the ticket is only $554. And you earn some Avios or AAdvantage miles.
Thanks guys.

My thinking was that 100,000 Avios is a bit steep for economy even if it's a 14 hour flight to SYD. Another issue is how cheap airfare is to SYD from SFO. I suppose if the cash fare was closer to US$1000, I wouldn't be asking this question.
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:14 am
  #9  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,380
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
That's a no brainer. At the $665, just buy the cheap fare and save Avios for shorter, more efficient flights.
Your alternative is 100,000 Avios and $111.22 in taxes and fees. So, the net cost of buying the ticket is only $554. And you earn some Avios or AAdvantage miles.
You can earn >12k Alaska miles on this trip. That's worth about $180.
nsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:26 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 24,896
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
You can earn >12k Alaska miles on this trip. That's worth about $180.
AS also has a double miles promo with Qantas flights to OZ at the moment, I think.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:47 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 20,826
Of course, for 100,000 Avios, the OP could fly SFO-SYD-HKG-TYO-SFO -- with stopovers at each city -- on a BAEC multi-partner award. Not sure what the taxes/carrier charges would be on the additional segments, however.
lsquare likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:21 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,865
100K Avios are worth four transcontinental roundtrips with AA or five roundtrips to Dallas or Chicago from SFO. That seems a better use than saving $655 on the flight to OZ.
lsquare likes this.
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread