Wiki Posts
Search

BA award flight suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

BA award flight suggestions

Hi All,
This is my first post here so apologies for any broken decorum. Could someone tell me if this is a good deal or not?

2 passengers
Travel dates 4/24/19 - 5/8/19
San Francisco (SFO) -> London (LHR) -> Moscow (DME) in Business class
Moscow (DME) -> London (LHR) -> San Francisco (SFO) in Economy (DME-LHR) and Economy Plus (LHR-SFO)

180000 Avios + $ 3,434.98

I have 184,944 Avios total in my account.

Last edited by vrungel; Apr 6, 2019 at 6:47 pm Reason: Adding the fact that the quote is for 2 passengers.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by vrungel
Hi All,
This is my first post here so apologies for any broken decorum. Could someone tell me if this is a good deal or not?
Hello vrungel and welcome to Flyertalk.

The price of a cash ticket in those classes on those dates is $4,320.69 (see below) which means you're using 180,000 Avios to save $885 valuing your 180,000 Avios at just under 0.5c each. This is considerably lower than the value I place on mine. Might be better to pay the cash price if you have the cash available.

Last edited by golfmad; Apr 6, 2019 at 3:37 pm Reason: Forgot to add screenshot
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Hello vrungel and welcome to Flyertalk.

The price of a cash ticket in those classes on those dates is $4,320.69 (see below) which means you're using 180,000 Avios to save $885 valuing your 180,000 Avios at just under 0.5c each. This is considerably lower than the value I place on mine. Might be better to pay the cash price if you have the cash available.
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that the price quote I gave was for 2 people, but it looks like your quote was for 1 passenger, which makes yours significantly higher?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by vrungel
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that the price quote I gave was for 2 people, but it looks like your quote was for 1 passenger, which makes yours significantly higher?
I would say that that's a significant piece of additional information
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I would say that that's a significant piece of additional information
Yes, sorry about that. So how would you rate my quote now given the fact that it's for 2 people? I'm still a little wary that I'm getting the best deal for my Avios on BA, but it's a start.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:20 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If my maths is correct. that values your Avios at 2.9 cents each. I can only speak for UK redemptions, where I’d consider 1.3 cents as a minimum and 2.6 as good value, so I’d say you have fairly decent value there.

Usually on long haul redemptions it’s better to redeem on premium cabins - Business or First. Is there F or J availability on your return route? If so, it might be worth looking at the possibility of buying more Avios - you could just get a better return than the purchase price.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If my maths is correct. that values your Avios at 2.9 cents each. I can only speak for UK redemptions, where I’d consider 1.3 cents as a minimum and 2.6 as good value, so I’d say you have fairly decent value there.

Usually on long haul redemptions it’s better to redeem on premium cabins - Business or First. Is there F or J availability on your return route? If so, it might be worth looking at the possibility of buying more Avios - you could just get a better return than the purchase price.
I don’t think a comparison against the cash cost for the exact same flights is very useful. You need to compare against other (suitable) options available including on other airlines.

I haven’t looked but it wouldn’t surprise me if OP could get J+W (or maybe even J both ways) on another airline for a similar cash outlay without the avios. Or alternatively buy a W fare and upgrade with avios.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:35 am

OP have you actually booked this yet? If not, price out booking it as two one-ways, one from SFO to Moscow and then the return as a separate ticket from Moscow to SFO. The amount of Avios shouldn't change, but you may see the cash taxes/surcharges decrease - so that could bring up the value a bit further.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makin'miles
OP have you actually booked this yet? If not, price out booking it as two one-ways, one from SFO to Moscow and then the return as a separate ticket from Moscow to SFO. The amount of Avios shouldn't change, but you may see the cash taxes/surcharges decrease - so that could bring up the value a bit further.
I haven't booked yet but it seems that I don't have enough Avios to support two people at this time, which requires either buying more Avios to the tune of $3,000 or paying cash in addition to the available Avios to the tune of $6,000.
I tried checking one way flights as you suggested, checking flights in November of 2019:

1. Roundtrip SFO-LHR-DME in business class:
Price pp: $ 1,820.00
Taxes pp: $ 1,325.22
Total price: $ 6,290.44
Avios used: 183600
or to bring down the total price to $ 2,650.44 I would have to buy additional Avios for about $ 4,000 which is slightly more than the quote above.

2. Oneway SFO-LHR-DME in business class:
Price pp: $ 0
Taxes pp: $ 687.65
Total price: $ 1,375.30
Avios used: 159000

3. Oneway DME-LHR-SFO in business class:
Price pp: $ 0
Taxes pp: $ 254.14
Total price: $ 508.28
Avios used: 159000 or I would have to buy additional 130000 Avios for $3,625 which makes makes it about $700 cheaper than the full roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.