Should compensation be extended?

Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Should compensation be extended?

On Thursday it was thirty five minutes after boarding had completed before the aeroplane took off. The pilot made repeated announcements that the delay was due to congestion at the airport.

This is not unexpected so should not the airline pay compensation for the delay? Chiltern Railways pays out if more than thirty minutes late. If my train parked outside Marylebone Station for that length of time as all platforms were busy they would have to pay as it would not be an unanticipated delay. Should be the same for BA; five minutes to get to the runway and beyond that you get compensation.
Lizie and Amelia321 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Aircraft taking a slow/scenic route from stand to runway isnt an issue that animates me. Its the arrival time that matters
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How do you know that what you suggest is a delay is not built into the schedule? The time of departure is irrelevant. All that matters is the delay at your final ticketed destination. If that departure delay translated to an arrival delay of 35 minutes, it would not meet even the minimum delay for a Type 1 flight under EC 261/2004. I can't imagine that BA would voluntarily pay any compensation, let alone even a minimal customer service gesture.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Greenpen
On Thursday it was thirty five minutes after boarding had completed before the aeroplane took off. The pilot made repeated announcements that the delay was due to congestion at the airport.
Twenty to forty minutes would be normal for LHR (if it was LHR) and the timings reflected in that. If you take off at 15 minutes from an on-time pushback you're probably going to arrive early. If you are more than 40 minutes in that scenario you're going to be late. I had a fairly recent LHR-NCL which arrived 20 minutes early on a timetabled trip of 1 hour 20 minutes. We just got a quiet gap. In the reverse direction (LHR-NCL) arriving 15 or 20 minutes early isn't unusual in good weather. Again if we're talking LHR then you may be aware of a debate on the third runway.

Other airports have similar issues, eg FRA and JFK, and take off from MNL can exceed both LHR and JFK due to poor layout and an excess of caution. Other airports have the runways but as AMS regulars of de Polderbaan will know, instead of waiting for a runway, you spending rather a long time getting to it!
Andriyko, wrp96, Often1 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:56 am

there is some padding in the schedules to allow for this...how late did you actually arrive at your destination?
need to be over 3 hours late and the cause of the delay needs to be within the airlines control to qualify. (ATC is not)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Other airports have the runways but as AMS regulars of de Polderbaan will know, instead of waiting for a runway, you spending rather a long time getting to it!
And if you're really unlucky, you suffer Polderbaan for both arrival and departure - as I seem to more often than not.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by etiene
And if you're really unlucky, you suffer Polderbaan for both arrival and departure - as I seem to more often than not.
Indeed - I always wondered why they didn't build the runway near an airport!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My flights usually arrive earlier than stated....it's very inconvenient.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:33 am

I love "delays" such as this, it usually means an extra glass (or two) of LPSG!
tynmar and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by DelTroon; Apr 5, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
OP get over yourself - first thing that comes to mind is, why should BA pay you compensation for congestion at the airport?

You say you took off 35 minutes late - when did you arrive?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Indeed - I always wondered why they didn't build the runway near an airport!
It always feels like its closer to Amsterdam than Schiphol.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

A BA pilot once said it is closer to Haarlem!
johnaalex likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This is not unexpected so should not the airline pay compensation for the delay?
Nah...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

It's closer to NWI than Amsterdam! When I was travelling on KL, the flight time into Norwich on the Fokker 50s/70s was between 30 and 40 minutes, latterly closer to 30 once the prop 50s left the fleet.

The time spent from gate to remote bus stand to Polderbaan almost always matched or exceeded the flight time, hence why the block was typically 1h15.

The kindest thing I can say is that I'm really struggling to understand why any airline would compensate in the circumstances the OP describes.
nancypants and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which airport?

At certain times of the day this can be commonplace at GLA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.