Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should compensation be extended?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:31 am

No, compensation should not be extended. I believe that would raise prices artificially and 20 minutes late is perfectly acceptable given the constraints of airports, ATC etc. YMMV, but I don't think you'll get much traction here or elsewhere TBH.

Provided you are on the plane at the prescribed time, arrival time is all that counts. The ticket is to get to to a certain place around a certain time. There is no expectation of taking off at a particular time, nor travelling at a certain average speed.

Finally, air travel and rail travel are not really comparable for a variety of reasons.

rb211.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If there is an accident on the highway and you are late 30 mins late would you request compensation?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Increased reliability of aircraft, tight schedules and airline propaganda leads us into the false belief that air travel is this perfectly controlled environment, but it isn't. Complex machinery, thousands of people involved in the movement of each flight, weather lead to an indeterminable amount of unforeseen events from mechanical breakdowns, human issues and weather delays or diversions.

30-60 minutes delays in air travel should be expected when planning a journey and an appreciation that delays of a day or more are entirely feasible, as is the possibility of your checked luggage not arriving. Chances are it will all be good, but prepare for the worst and appreciate the times when it all goes to plan.

That said many of us control freaks use forums like this to learn ways/gain tools to ensure a modicum of control.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Children is unique among rail operators into London. It’s trains run on short journeys, with a simple route network and don’t interact much with other train companies. . If they can’t run on time no-one can.
When will they grow up!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
...But this is really irrelevant as building time into the actual flying time is cheating.
I get where you're coming from (I don't mean LHR!). I live in Switzerland and the main reason the trains here are pretty much always on time is because they go so very, very slow. However, airports are always busy and your argument in this instance is like saying that it's cheating for a coach service to pad the timetables to take into account heavy traffic rather than just calculate them mathematically based on a fixed 70mph motorway journey.

The fact you arrived 20 minutes late is indicative of your departure delay being longer than usual, but it's not enough to trigger compensation.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:32 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
If being 20 minutes late is likely to inconvenience you enough for you to feel you need compensation, surely you should get the departure before the one you have booked? Or am I being unreasonable?
Bullswood and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Yachtman
That said many of us control freaks use forums like this to learn ways/gain tools to ensure a modicum of control.
Correction: That said many of us control freaks use forums like this to learn ways/gain tools to ensure the illusion of a modicum of control.

rb211.
Yachtman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Compensation isn't going to happen, but I sympathesize with an argument based on the asymmetry between the airlines (no compensation unless the customer arrives several hours late, and exceptions for extraordinary circumstances) and the customer (many tickets lose all value if the passenger is even one minute late, for whatever reason). [Trevel insurance doesn't solve the problem.]
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by nancypants
I sympathise with the sentiment but I suppose given the greater engineering and physical demands inherent to manned flight they had to draw the line somewhere. Should that line be moved, maybe? I don’t know. Perhaps once the airlines have become more efficient in response to EC261 the EU might tighten the screw a little?

There are obviously tolerances involved 🤷🏻.♀️
IIRC the last proposal to update EU261 actually proposed increasing the time allowed before compensation was paid rather than reducing it. I think it was 5 hours minimum for band 1 flights (<1500km) in recognition that the current (court imposed) time frames for delays were too tight.

But there is only so much efficiency an airline can improve upon to reduce delays.

Get passengers on the jet way slightly earlier to that they can board the instant the crew is ready leads to complaints 'why were we stood waiting when we could have sat at the gate?'
wrp96 and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have long since stopped counting the delays on getting airborne, or indeed reaching the stand, at DUB. Or indeed LGW. Has it affected the overall arrival time at the end of the flight? Not sure it really counted ... we took off, flew and landed within broad parameters of on time. Waiting bags is a separate subject, of course.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Greenpen
20 minutes late landing. But this is really irrelevant as building time into the actual flying time is cheating. If departure is 11.00 it is not unreasonable to expect that to happen.
Delay Repay on the railways is also based on arrival times not departure. On most trains there would be no compensation for a 20min delayed arrival either. (some offer something for a 15m delay though). Furthermore may of the longer train routes also build in time into their schedules to allow for delays so as to "arrive" on time.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My flights usually arrive earlier than stated....it's very inconvenient.
Be careful. The airlines might notice and demand additional compensation for flying faster!
Greenpen likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Akoz
Delay Repay on the railways is also based on arrival times not departure. On most trains there would be no compensation for a 20min delayed arrival either. (some offer something for a 15m delay though). Furthermore may of the longer train routes also build in time into their schedules to allow for delays so as to "arrive" on time.
This is changing and getting Delay Repay on everything is a DfT priority. For example, Great Western Railway has just introduced compensation at 15 minutes (even if it's on a 5h30 Paddington to Penzance trip). It's also due no matter the cause.

There's an argument that the massive increase in rail passenger journies is in part due to a massive improvement in on-time performance, which in turn is due to compensation-for-delays culture. Stricter compensation rules could turn out to be good for the airlines in the long term too.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That might have been true had EC 261/2004 been enforced as intended and written. But with judges at the national and especially CJEU level tinkering with the economics and operations of something about which they know nothing, delay compensation has become government-mandated insurance, not a means of improving on time performance.

If the EU were serious about ontime performance, it would abandon this Regulation and simply impose fines on carriers for delayed flights and deposit those fines in a fund available to improve the EU air carrier network.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
One of the good things about EU261 is that the people who are delayed get the compensation as they are the ones inconvenienced.
wrp96 and cauchy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.