Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should compensation be extended?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That might have been true had EC 261/2004 been enforced as intended and written. But with judges at the national and especially CJEU level tinkering with the economics and operations of something about which they know nothing, delay compensation has become government-mandated insurance, not a means of improving on time performance.

If the EU were serious about ontime performance, it would abandon this Regulation and simply impose fines on carriers for delayed flights and deposit those fines in a fund available to improve the EU air carrier network.
Then again, the EU has spectacularly low airfares, and it's getting difficult to treat passengers outrageously (e.g. making them sleep on an airport floor) and get away with it.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
That might have been true had EC 261/2004 been enforced as intended and written. But with judges at the national and especially CJEU level tinkering with the economics and operations of something about which they know nothing, delay compensation has become government-mandated insurance, not a means of improving on time performance.
Do keep in mind that on-time performance is only one of many valued metrics and we don't want a system that puts it above all other things like safety or certain passenger comfort aspects. I recently had a 10 minute departure delay because 'a passenger on the inbound flight got sick' and the specialty cleaning crew had seat cover replacement person had to be called in from the other side of the airport. If you polled the passengers then, they would have been glad to get home 10 minutes later if it guaranteed the hazmat clean up team had been thorough
wrp96 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

If the EU were serious about ontime performance, it would abandon this Regulation and simply impose fines on carriers for delayed flights and deposit those fines in a fund available to improve the EU air carrier network.
Excellent idea.

Only if fines apply for those arriving early too. Things would all work a lot more smoothly if that were the case.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Akoz
Delay Repay on the railways is also based on arrival times not departure. On most trains there would be no compensation for a 20min delayed arrival either. (some offer something for a 15m delay though). Furthermore may of the longer train routes also build in time into their schedules to allow for delays so as to "arrive" on time.
On one of today's arrivals terminating at Aberdeen from King's Cross, there was 14½ minutes built in to the schedule for either pathing allowance at junctions, engineering allowance for temporary speed restrictions, or performance allowance.
The Working Timetable differs from the Public Timetable, where times at certain points are measured down to quarter seconds minutes, and the times can be also different, such as an arrival may say 1819 in the public timetable, but will be 1817 in the WTT.

Last edited by BlueThroughCrimp; Apr 8, 2019 at 5:23 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
IIRC the last proposal to update EU261 actually proposed increasing the time allowed before compensation was paid rather than reducing it. I think it was 5 hours minimum for band 1 flights (<1500km) in recognition that the current (court imposed) time frames for delays were too tight.

But there is only so much efficiency an airline can improve upon to reduce delays.

Get passengers on the jet way slightly earlier to that they can board the instant the crew is ready leads to complaints 'why were we stood waiting when we could have sat at the gate?'
‘yeah I don’t think they will ever reduce the delay time as, like you say, there’s only so much fat in the system.

Maybe it’s a chicken and egg thing anyway, as we all know rail company timetables are hugely padded to make the trains run on time.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
On one of today's arrivals terminating at Aberdeen from King's Cross, there was 14½ minutes built in to the schedule for either pathing allowance at junctions, engineering allowance for temporary speed restrictions, or performance allowance.
The Working Timetable differs from the Public Timetable, where times at certain points are measured down to quarter seconds, and the times can be also different, such as an arrival may say 1819 in the public timetable, but will be 1817 in the WTT.
Absolutely. Combine that with many routes in the rail timetable that now apparently take longer then they did 30 years ago and it is evident the timetabling tries to build it time for delays. So if on the trains, why not on air travel. I don't think any of my domestic flights have left on exact time, all usually within ten mins - but they are nearly always early to arrive.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Missing elephants somewhere? There often isn't much (if any) competition on a railway route, and usually no traffic congestion either, and air travel and train travel are completely different, with very different set of risks, costs to operators, and environment, besides the fact that one flies and the other (hopefully) doesn't.

Just as an illustration
£28.26 for Reading to Paddington by train is the lowest fare I can find for 6 May at around 07:00. If it's delayed, you might get up to the value of the ticket for a delay, but the train company does not seem to lose any more than the fare even for very long delays.

Lowest BA fare for LHR-MAN on 6 May around 07:00 is £63.44. £28.44 is for APD (£13.00) and airport-imposed Passenger Service Charge (£15.44), so BA gets £35.00. If it's delayed by more than 2 hours, you might get €250. That's c. £215 at the current exchange rate. So, it might cost the airline £180 if it's delayed by 2 hours, plus the hotel and transport if it's an overnight delay, potentially amounting to more than £300 to the airline, while airlines' cost per seat is far higher than those of trains. That is a substantial penalty.

They are two completely different modes of transport with very different problems with completely different cost structures and treating the two the same would not make much sense.

Those of you wishing to introduce penalties for smaller delays in addition to what's already available as compensations should perhaps think of the following potential complications:

- Possibility of airline failures or simply not starting them/route so there is reduced competition, resulting in higher fares

- Simply putting the fares up to allow for compensations

- A lot fewer people being able to afford to fly as a consequence

- Withdrawing benefits (e.g. lounges) for less profitable fares to allow for compensations

- Unrealistically long scheduled flight time to allow for delays

Demand more at your own risk. Compensations are already extremely generous, particularly on cheap tickets. Demanding more might just seriously inconvenience you through unintended consequences.

(Just as a note, I normally allow at least 4 hours of delay for short haul and 12 hours for long haul flights, and 60 minutes for trains in my schedule, in the absence of adverse weather conditions or any other known factors that might affect things, and longer in potential adverse weather conditions etc. It reduces my stress level. I just happen to be aware that from time to time operational reality is such that on-time arrival doesn't happen, and I allow MORE time if I am in a hurry to get there and have to make sure I do, because missed connection consequences may be worse than allowing extra connection time* But then, I have a job that I can often work on anywhere with a good level of privacy, so the connection time is often not wasted)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 8, 2019 at 3:50 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Demand more at your own risk. Compensations are already extremely generous, particularly on cheap tickets. Demanding more might just seriously inconvenience you through unintended consequences.
Absolutely. Complain about (seriously) late arrivals, but to complain about late departures, and a slight late arrival? No.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.