Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

Old Jan 19, 22, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
What selling class are you booked in on the flight? You can only upgrade with avios on AA if booked in to selling classes J, C, D and Y. If you are in I class on your AA1 flight then it won't be possible to UuA.
I hadn't realised C and D classes worked, too - I thought it was just J. Is that just for transcon? Always useful to keep in the back of my mind in case I end up in D class one day!
Old Jan 19, 22, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
For this sector, what's the flight number on your ticket?
BA4682
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
BA4682
As I stated in the Tier Points Thread - you won't be able to upgrade using Avios as you've booked the codeshare flight rather than the AA prime flight; there won't ever be any Avios availability for BA4682 for you to upgrade into
Old Jan 19, 22, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C View Post
As I stated in the Tier Points Thread - you won't be able to upgrade using Avios as you've booked the codeshare flight rather than the AA prime flight; there won't ever be any Avios availability for BA4682 for you to upgrade into
OK. Got it. Thanks. So this means I should next time book through BA on an AA flight number? I guess booking directly with AA would mean I can't upgrade.

Anyway, looks like it will have to be cold hard cash. Any ideas on what that would run? Better to wait til closer to the time? Or try my luck now?
Old Jan 19, 22, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
OK. Got it. Thanks. So this means I should next time book through BA on an AA flight number? I guess booking directly with AA would mean I can't upgrade.

Anyway, looks like it will have to be cold hard cash. Any ideas on what that would run? Better to wait til closer to the time? Or try my luck now?
And also make sure it's in an eligible fare class, which can be up the cost a lot. I'm also not sure whether an AUP would give you the upgraded TPs. On their own tickets I don't think it does but I'm not sure if it's on a 125.
Old Jan 19, 22, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Coutts Silk
Yeah it's an AA flight number and I class. What about cash upgrade?
You could always try a cash upgrade at the airport.
No extra TPs but very reasonable prices and worth it for the seat on the transcon IMHO.
Old Jan 19, 22, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by crazy8534 View Post
You could always try a cash upgrade at the airport.
No extra TPs but very reasonable prices and worth it for the seat on the transcon IMHO.
I asked someone that on here back in September. They said the upgrade price was US$650 from J to F on the transcon, but 24 hours out the upgrade price was US$250, so they took it. Obviously they were booked through AA to get that offer, so it's no use here, but I imagine the airport price must be around the US$250 range then?

I'm flying next week JFK-LAX on an I ticket booked on the BA codeshare, so my only route to upgrade will be asking at the airport. It will come down entirely to price.
crazy8534 and RichieMc like this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
I asked someone that on here back in September. They said the upgrade price was US$650 from J to F on the transcon, but 24 hours out the upgrade price was US$250, so they took it. Obviously they were booked through AA to get that offer, so it's no use here, but I imagine the airport price must be around the US$250 range then?

I'm flying next week JFK-LAX on an I ticket booked on the BA codeshare, so my only route to upgrade will be asking at the airport. It will come down entirely to price.
Good luck! I'd be glad to hear your experience. I get to JFK the night before, so I'll try my luck then rather than at the last minute in the morning.
Old Jan 19, 22, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i paid 245 at JFK a few weeks ago and that was to LAX where there were only 2 open seats left just before i headed to the airport, but figured it never hurts to ask...despite never being offered the upgrade at OLCI.
Old Jan 19, 22, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Coutts Silk
Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
i paid 245 at JFK a few weeks ago and that was to LAX where there were only 2 open seats left just before i headed to the airport, but figured it never hurts to ask...despite never being offered the upgrade at OLCI.
Yeah, I think particularly if you are flying alone it is one of the most cost-effective upgrades available anywhere in the world on any airline.
I am not an AA member but I think it is one F cabin that they don't normally completely pack out with 'elite' upgrades.
Old Jan 19, 22, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534 View Post
Yeah, I think particularly if you are flying alone it is one of the most cost-effective upgrades available anywhere in the world on any airline.
I am not an AA member but I think it is one F cabin that they don't normally completely pack out with 'elite' upgrades.
agree and with in flight service pretty much back to pre-covid, entirely enjoyable.
FlightDetective and crazy8534 like this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
Nice! My flight has 8 seats open in F, so we shall see what happens!
VSLover likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 4:27 am

Quick request for help!

I’ve got an upcoming BA holidays trip (Flights & Hotels) with a Transcontinental involved, presently booked into business (J fare code).

There is reward availability, confirmed by the agent, for a First upgrade but after a lengthy hold I was told it’s not possible to upgrade flights within a BA Holiday booking. I’ve not heard that before, is that right or do I need to call back?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BobOnBA View Post
Quick request for help!

I’ve got an upcoming BA holidays trip (Flights & Hotels) with a Transcontinental involved, presently booked into business (J fare code).

There is reward availability, confirmed by the agent, for a First upgrade but after a lengthy hold I was told it’s not possible to upgrade flights within a BA Holiday booking. I’ve not heard that before, is that right or do I need to call back?
As mentioned further up, does the transcontinental flight on your e-ticket have a BA flight number?

If so, you can't upgrade it, even if there is availability.

Generally, all bookings done through BA have a BA flight number, so the upgrade with Avios on this is something you really can't do. It's a perk that is almost unusable.
Old Jan 20, 22, 12:46 pm

Thank you, sorry is misread the advice. It is indeed a BA flight number on a 125- ticket.

When I tried again the agent also said you can also only upgrade international AA flights.

Nevermind - thank you for helping out

Search this Thread