Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lavar56
I’m on a 125 ticket and in booking class J but not seen any Avios upgrade availability - is it still A for Avios upgrades?
on BA flights it’s Z class which is the reward/upgrade bucket in F. A class is only relevant for using jokers or TA bookings using a GUF.
lavar56 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to clarify this, you can only UuA where you have a BA 125-... ticket. If you have an AA flight on the booking you can UuA it but only if the AA flight is in the following selling classes J, C, D, W, Y - which is obviously quite restrictive!
When searching for upgrade availability to UUA a 125 ticket in this situation I’ve been doing a ‘standard Avios search’ on BA.com. Is this the right place to check availability?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:55 am

When searching for upgrade availability to UUA a 125 ticket in this situation I’ve been doing a ‘standard Avios search’ on BA.com. Is this the right place to check availability?
Yes that’s right. The bucket for UuAs is the same as for standard rewards so just continue doing dummy reward bookings for your flight and if a reward seat shows call to do the UuA.
lavar56 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I’m on a 125 ticket and in booking class J but not seen any Avios upgrade availability - is it still A for Avios upgrades?
If it is an AA flight that you're looking to upgrade, then yes.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:30 am

Not for AA flights. AA uses C for business class (domestic first) upgrades and A for first class upgrades on 3 cabins services. Searching for reward availability on ba.com will show U and Z availability only, which will be of no use for you.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:33 am

Yes that’s right. The bucket for UuAs is the same as for standard rewards so just continue doing dummy reward bookings for your flight and if a reward seat shows call to do the UuA.
This only applies to BA flights KARFA. lavar56 wants to upgrade an AA flight.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I managed to get an Avios ticket for the transcon F from SFO to JFK this August. Was quite a lot of Avios I think 50,000 of top of my head but the tax was only $4 and I was just curious to try it out more than anything.

I did book book this ticket at like t-300 or something 😂
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
As a regular on the JFK-LAX route, here is my take:

2. They will upgrade from J to F but because the upgrade list is based on AA EQDs and Transcons are heavy with AA EXPs the chances of non-AA elites getting an upgrade to first is probably low. I would not be surprised if the route is popular with AA EXPs looking to cash in their SWUs as well.
3. As the EQD list is dynamic the upgrade list can be pretty fluid almost up to departure. The Transcons also have a lot of flexible travellers. It is frustrating to see 4 empty seats, be number 4 on the upgrade list 20 minutes before departure and then a higher EQD person comes along............
Just to clarify.
As Andriyko pointed out, for "AA ticket" J to F transcon upgrade, LAX-JFK (or SFO-JFK and vice versa) is probably one of the easiest route for upgrade for AA elites or not, due to A bucket is used for upgrade, but you will need to use either AA miles or SWU. There is NO complimentary upgrade for J to F transcon. Not many ppl will be on J to F "airport upgrade list", because either they got upgraded prior to airport or F cabin is full (which is not rare). As long as there is 1 F seat for sale, AA typically will release the last "A seat" couple hours or even days before flight.
Note, Y to J upgrade and Z reward are completely different stories. Those are hard to come by...

Last edited by Fly2Where; Apr 7, 2019 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Honestly wouldn't bother, the F seat is basically the J seat without a neighbour. And the 321 is terrible in that airspace anyway - it'll feel every bump magnified.
Sorry to sound like Eyore.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
FWIW I'm going to join in with the "not really worth it" crowd, at least for the red eye. I've now flown twice SFO->JFK and both times had a broken seat (one time didn't fully recline, one time some weird gap between the two "halves" of the flat seat), both times mentioned it to the crew and both times they've said the seats in J break less frequently. I dislike people being next to me but dislike the seat being broken more.

On the other hand if flying JFK to SFO you do at least get a decent meal in JFK (SFO has no useful lounge to speak of).
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Just resurrecting this one. I'm flying in Business JFK-LAX on AA1 in September. It's part of a fun trip and I'd like to upgrade to F partly to sample Flagship Dining. I booked directly through BA with a 125- ticket and on a BA flight number. It's Business (I) fare class. I spoke to someone at BA last night who said it wasn't possible at the moment but I should keep checking back. This makes sense as EF says there's currently 0 A upgrades available. Can't really be arsed to wait for an hour on hold each time I want to check and I can't make the change online as it's a complex booking with 7 legs. For now 8 months ahead of the flight, the F cabin has all 10 seats free (and I'm currently the only one in J).

Does anyone know what I can do to get into F? Will I be able to upgrade once A upgrades become available? I have loads of Avios but would also be ok with paying cash if it's not insane. Is it worth calling AA directly? Thanks for any ideas.
Schwann likes this.

Last edited by RichieMc; Jan 19, 2022 at 4:57 am
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:50 am

What selling class are you booked in on the flight? You can only upgrade with avios on AA if booked in to selling classes J, C, D and Y. If you are in I class on your AA1 flight then it won't be possible to UuA.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
What selling class are you booked in on the flight? You can only upgrade with avios on AA if booked in to selling classes J, C, D and Y. If you are in I class on your AA1 flight then it won't be possible to UuA.
if he is on BA marketed flight he won’t be able to upgrade anyways - it gotta be prime flight number
Markie, gustavmahler and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Yeah it's an AA flight number and I class. What about cash upgrade?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I booked directly through BA with a 125- ticket and on a BA flight number.
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yeah it's an AA flight number and I class. What about cash upgrade?
For this sector, what's the flight number on your ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.