Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

BA ticket - how to upgrade on an AA A321 Transcon from J to F

Old Apr 5, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Let us know what you think... except for not having a person next to you, the service is virtually the same. Same poor wine, tad better food in F, but otherwise pretty much the same... Waste of cash/Avios IMHO, but everyone value things differently
81romeo likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Among the best airline crew service I have ever had was in AA transcontinental F a couple of years ago. The purser who did the service could have been delivering Cathay or JAL F service, he was that good. Not exactly your typical AA crew demographic: he was younger than average (early 30s maybe), Black, and very good at his job. I was (and still am) impressed.

The 1+1 seating is pretty nifty; very secluded in-flight. The seat is a like a slightly compact version of the AA 77W J seat. Plentiful overhead bin space, more than one bin each.

F&B has been quite OK in my experience; certainly far better than two-class F.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP will have access to the FL, but in F he would have access to FFD.

Whether something is "worth" it is not is subjective. Depends on what the money means to the specific passenger. If it is what one drops at a bar after work, it's likely worth it. If it is the difference between losing one's house or not, it's likely not worth it.

In any event, the likely only place to accomplish this is at the airport on the day of travel when AA has control of the ticket.
81romeo and lavar56 like this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:18 pm

Is there ever much chance of an Avios upgrade on this route (J-F)?

I canít see any in August when I plan to travel (BA ticket) but realise this is a long way out. However checking random closer dates on BA.com for F reward availability hasnít been fruitful either.
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:34 pm

To OP, I think you have a fair chance of a free upgrade if F has open seats and AA people are trying to upgrade into J.

For this, you probably need to be at the gate at least at T-45. They will call you and if you’re not there, the next person on the list gets the upgrade.
81romeo likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by lavar56 View Post

I can’t see any in August when I plan to travel (BA ticket) but realise this is a long way out. However checking random closer dates on BA.com for F reward availability hasn’t been fruitful either.

My understanding is there used to be quite a bit of award space, as AA used to release basically all the unsold F seats even when at the same time J availability was almost impossible to find, but then they realized this was a bit silly and stopped doing this.

Personally, I wouldn't stress too much if you're already in J unless you are desperate to try Flagship First Dining - you're basically paying to upgrade from a poor international J standard product to a middling one. Even as someone obsessed with personal space and privacy I struggle to see the value here, given the similar soft product and the fact that the F seat still feels a little bit cramped.
lavar56 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G

I canít see any in August when I plan to travel (BA ticket) but realise this is a long way out. However checking random closer dates on BA.com for F reward availability hasnít been fruitful either.
If I understand this right, there is no chance to use AVIOS to upgrade a non BA metal flight... you can get the full ticket with AVIOS if available.. but you cannot upgrade a BA ticket operated by AA
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
As a regular on the JFK-LAX route, here is my take:

1. The F Class seat is a slighlty modified version of the CX & AA 77W international business class seat.
2. They will upgrade from J to F but because the upgrade list is based on AA EQDs and Transcons are heavy with AA EXPs the chances of non-AA elites getting an upgrade to first is probably low. I would not be surprised if the route is popular with AA EXPs looking to cash in their SWUs as well.
3. As the EQD list is dynamic the upgrade list can be pretty fluid almost up to departure. The Transcons also have a lot of flexible travellers. It is frustrating to see 4 empty seats, be number 4 on the upgrade list 20 minutes before departure and then a higher EQD person comes along............
4. AA has a lot of media corporate contracts which is why F is on the Transcons, I think Disney is one of the biggest. So if celebrities are your thing there is a good chance of meeting one in AA F. They are usually boarded separately.
5. The J seat is not too bad, lie flat, and although 2-2 I have met some very interesting people on these flights.

Good luck to the OP if he gets lucky then it is a nice experience. The AA Flagship dining in the lounge is usually good and in the small side lounge with bar the staff are excellent.
81romeo likes this.
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Joining the chorus of the "I'm not sure it's worth it..." brigade here. About one-third of the time, the flight attendants in F aren't even aware transcon first is a different service rom shourthaul F. Once I asked about the salad course (after they skipped it), and he said, "Oh, so THAT'S why I have so many salads left over up here." Super friendly - no complaints there - just unaware Transcon F was different from the regular shorthaul F service.

Celebrity sightings, yes, very true point there, if you're into star gazing. My experience has been the first two flights Monday mornings from LA to JFK have the highest chances of seeing someone famous.

Good luck with the upgrade, but my advice would be not to pay a lot for it - you might be disappointed.
Old Apr 6, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
Let us know what you think... except for not having a person next to you, the service is virtually the same. Same poor wine, tad better food in F, but otherwise pretty much the same... Waste of cash/Avios IMHO, but everyone value things differently
Obviously it is very subjective and personal how much an individual values Avios/money. I, personally, would not call it a waste, in terms of both Avios or money (depending, of course, upon what the difference between J & F). Wines are definitely better in F (although I prefer the sparkling wine in J to the champagne they serve in F)..
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
Sure! TO be honest the only reason I was thinking about upgrading (if possible!!) was the privacy factor - as I have flown in J before and didn't enjoy the lack of it.
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk View Post
To OP, I think you have a fair chance of a free upgrade if F has open seats and AA people are trying to upgrade into J.

For this, you probably need to be at the gate at least at T-45. They will call you and if youíre not there, the next person on the list gets the upgrade.
Thanks, not counting on it though!

Yes - between landing on BA metal and continuing on AA to LAX I have 3 hours so I should make it to the gate at T-45 ;-)
Old Apr 6, 19, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat View Post
If I understand this right, there is no chance to use AVIOS to upgrade a non BA metal flight... you can get the full ticket with AVIOS if available.. but you cannot upgrade a BA ticket operated by AA
Just to clarify this, you can only UuA where you have a BA 125-... ticket. If you have an AA flight on the booking you can UuA it but only if the AA flight is in the following selling classes J, C, D, W, Y - which is obviously quite restrictive!
our_kid, lavar56 and SirToby like this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

J to F is one of the easiest upgrades because AA uses the revenue ĎAí class for these purposes.
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:46 am

Iím on a 125 ticket and in booking class J but not seen any Avios upgrade availability - is it still A for Avios upgrades?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: