Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade tactic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Upgrade tactic

Off to Abu Dhabi at the end of the month - got some of those £200 flights. Just thinking about potentially upgrading - would love to fly Club (have a bunch of Avios to spare and nothing really to spend them on at the moment).

Currently I am being offered an upgrade to WTP for £179. (or hilariously; £213.52 and 13000 Avios).

Am I right in thinking that if CW reward availability becomes available, I should be able to pay for the WTP upgrade mentioned above, and then upgrade with Avios into CW? If so.... what sort of cost am I looking at for the taxes? Roughly the same as I'm seeing for WT-WTP? (£213.52?).

Anyone done this?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

You can't UuA after taking a POUG as it will book into a non upgradeable booking class. P if I recall correctly which then prevents UuA as we would all do that if it were possible.

You could take the POUG and ask on the day at the airport re any paid upgrades. WT to CW can be sold but it's not guaranteed.
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
You can't UuA after taking a POUG.

You could take the POUG and ask on the day at the airport re any paid upgrades.
You can't? I thought I read some posts a while ago where people had had some luck with this?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can't Upgrade using Avios a POUG ticket
PETER01 and Anonba like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King
You can't? I thought I read some posts a while ago where people had had some luck with this?
Read: mistake in their favour.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:22 am

You can't. The same principle applies if you say book a WT+ seat then take a POUG into CW.. It would then book into U class which then means you can't UuA to get into First. Revenue protection.
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you take a POUG in to WTP you will end up in P selling class. You can only UuA from W/E/T selling classes in WTP.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:26 am

Sometimes, BAs flaky IT may award a higher amount of TPs for UuA flights so I'm wondering if that's what you've read?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by PETER01
Sometimes, BAs flaky IT may award a higher amount of TPs for UuA flights so I'm wondering if that's what you've read?
This seems to be rarer and rare I've found.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by AdBoy
That doesn't surprise me when you hear of folks posting that they get xxx TPs after booking flights when paying for a lower class. Higher awarded TPs should never be posted about or advertised but.......that's the internet!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Happened to me within the last fortnight. I assumed that MMB had it wrong and we'd earn at the WTP rate but when it credited it was at the CW rate.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by mattyw
Happened to me within the last fortnight. I assumed that MMB had it wrong and we'd earn at the WTP rate but when it credited it was at the CW rate.
Indeed. Was far more universal than now. Bit of a lottery!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Alright well, that solves that then. Thanks for the info everyone
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's still worthy upgrading to WTP as it's a smaller cabin, so higher chances of an OpUp
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:14 am

The £200 flights were an amazing deal and personally I wouldn't pay £179 for WT+ on a relatively 'short' long haul but as always YMMV.

Unless you need/want the TPs maybe worth spending half that for an exit seat if one becomes available nearer the time or money better spent at the destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.