Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong or Tokyo as a hub to fly around Asia with Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong or Tokyo as a hub to fly around Asia with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Isochronous
It does and as a system it is probably the airport train that is closest to HKG in terms of quality and setup, the frequency just isn't quite as good. Fantastic if you stay in one of the hotels connected to KL Sentral station (Le Meridien or Hilton)
I don't remember there was a KUL Express when I was there about a decade ago. But this might not be so bad and a good substitute. Are there any good value hotels near KL Sentral Station? From what I gather, it's a 30 min. ride to the airport, which is comparable to HK's Airport Express. It's about 24 min. from HK station to the airport.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Isochronous
KUL is much further from the city centre than HKG airport though, KUL airport also lacks good airport hotels whereas HKG has the Regal, Marriott, and Novotel.
The train from KUL to the city does not take much more time than the HKG express. I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn in KUL recently and it was around $40 a night (although not the best location for commuting to the airport). HKG is a far nicer city than KUL of course(imo) and also the airport lounges in HKG are a lot better.

No reason you have to stick to one hub though? Could you not utilize KUL, HKG and TYO in turn depending on what part of Asia you are exploring?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I'm not sure I understand the point of having a designated "hub" for your travels. Is it because you're planning to leave stuff in a hotel / flat / Airbnb in that city while you travel around?

If not, then just be flexible and use whichever of Tokyo, HKG and KUL offers you redemption availability for each particular leg of your trip. And as others have pointed out, AirAsia offers excellent pricing if you book long enough in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Don’t forget CMB either - a little gem and appreciate it’s West but again lots of options on UL
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Are there any good value hotels near KL Sentral Station?
The lower priced of the three connected hotels is the Aloft, which I have stayed at many times over the past six years and always been happy with. The Le Meridien and Hilton are in attached complex on the opposite side of KL Sentral station.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
I'm not sure I understand the point of having a designated "hub" for your travels. Is it because you're planning to leave stuff in a hotel / flat / Airbnb in that city while you travel around?

If not, then just be flexible and use whichever of Tokyo, HKG and KUL offers you redemption availability for each particular leg of your trip. And as others have pointed out, AirAsia offers excellent pricing if you book long enough in advance.
Yes, my plan is to leave stuff that I don't need while I travel around. Plus, if I can't get redeem my Avios for a flight to either of these hubs, then I'll need to buy airfare to get there and back.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
In KL there's an 'ALOFT' hotel which is new and pretty decent that's also connected to KL Sentral - probably cheaper than the Meridien / Hilton and just as convenient ( it's attached to the 'NU Sentral' Mall on the South Side of the station.. the other two are on the North Side )

But really I'd have to say as above .. decide where you're going first and then work it out ... not sure having a 'base' to leave stuff on a 3-4 week trip makes that much sense ? .. How much do you need to bring ?.. laundry is pretty cheap in SE Asia ... and if you want to mix SE Asia with NE Asia that's quite a big distance in between !
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Definitely HKG both for location as well as because you would be flying CX, which IMO is the best among the OW Asian carriers, although as many pointed out you are looking at 3/4+ hours flight to get to south east Asia from HKG.

As per low cost, I personally do not fly low cost in Europe and I would never dare flying low cost in Asia but that's a personal (and unpopular) safety rule I give myself.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:03 pm

I think it really depends on where you are planning to go. I reckon I could spend months in Japan without running out of things to see or do. It's an amazing country, especially if you get out of the cities. Beautiful mountains, skiing, but also beaches. And the food....

If you're going to do South East Asia though, I'd vote for KUL. MH fly to a lot of places in Malaysia and beyond and it's well located. The city doesn't have a huge amount to offer though. Hotels are cheap though; I was there a few years back and got a suite at the Hilton Sentral for the first of a basic hotel room in London. Hong Kong is great but it's quite a trek to most places in South East Asia.

Tokyo makes little sense to me unless you want to see Japan. But you should. It's also dead easy to navigate nowadays.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ppp909
I think it really depends on where you are planning to go. I reckon I could spend months in Japan without running out of things to see or do. It's an amazing country, especially if you get out of the cities. Beautiful mountains, skiing, but also beaches. And the food....

If you're going to do South East Asia though, I'd vote for KUL. MH fly to a lot of places in Malaysia and beyond and it's well located. The city doesn't have a huge amount to offer though. Hotels are cheap though; I was there a few years back and got a suite at the Hilton Sentral for the first of a basic hotel room in London. Hong Kong is great but it's quite a trek to most places in South East Asia.

Tokyo makes little sense to me unless you want to see Japan. But you should. It's also dead easy to navigate nowadays.
If flying out of KUL with MH, which lounge is the best to use with Priority Pass? Disappointing that Haneda doesn't have any Priority Pass lounges.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:46 pm

I agree with most of the above comments. Tokyo is very much on the edge of Asia, where as HK more centrally located. You can travel almost anywhere in Asia from HK within 4 hours, whereas Tokyo to SE Asia involves 6 to 8 hour flights. Enjoy your travels!
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Avios is perfect for Asia. I just booked NRT-PVG in JL Business for 15,000 Avios.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, I got time to figure things out, but let's say I want to spend all of my time in SE Asia, what's the most cost effective way in miles or points to get to KUL from the west coast of the US?

Thanks a lot guys. I love FT!!!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
In that case, KL is by far the cheapest of the three options from an accommodation point of view, as well as having the back-up LCC option (Air Asia) if there isn't redemption availability on a given route.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Too much travel
In that case, KL is by far the cheapest of the three options from an accommodation point of view, as well as having the back-up LCC option (Air Asia) if there isn't redemption availability on a given route.
And regardless, flights on MH can be only a bit more than LCCs, and you get lounge access, baggage allowance etc etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.