Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I am certain asked and answered already....chances of upgrade PE + to Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia

A380.....premium economy has few seats left...business upper deck is pretty much empty. Do I have a chance as Silver for a comp upgrade or a fool's paradise?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The latter.
nancypants and acucobol like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Yes you have a chance, it may be 0.1% if WTP and WT are not oversold, it may be higher if they have to roll WTP forward. A genuine question, what are you actually expecting us to say to this enquiry? No-one here knows what the computer will decide.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Going by my experience of 6 years of Silver you have a 100% chance of not being offered an upgrade.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
You have an excellent chance of being offered an upgrade for approx US $700-$800 from Vancouver to London (actually that's a typical SFO-LHR offer), if that's the route you're flying A much slimmer chance of getting it for free! Please let us know what happens, if anything
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I will update as all information may be useful...thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by StingWest
You have an excellent chance of being offered an upgrade for approx US $700-$800 from Vancouver to London (actually that's a typical SFO-LHR offer), if that's the route you're flying A much slimmer chance of getting it for free! Please let us know what happens, if anything
Can you elaborate on what you meant by being offered an upgrade for US$700-800? Like at the check-in desk, being offered to go from PE to J for that much? Might not be so bad if one can get a good deal on a PE fare.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by lsquare
Can you elaborate on what you meant by being offered an upgrade for US$700-800? Like at the check-in desk, being offered to go from PE to J for that much? Might not be so bad if one can get a good deal on a PE fare.
If you log into your acct and go into Manage my Booking, if there is an offer you will clearly see it when the reservation comes up. You will also see it on the BA phone app, but the Upgrade function doesn't seem to work there, at least on the Android version of the app.

You can also ask at the desk when you check in, but in my experience the prices are (slightly) better if you do it on line. Which route are you flying - there is a whole thread on this topic of "POUG" (just search it, or I think this is the link: Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2019 thread )
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
In addition to the thread regarding POUGs, prices for airport upgrades (AUPs) when you ask at the desk can be found here:
Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2019 thread
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Why I asked as I have read many posters who advised they receive upgrade offers, do not accept them and then are handed the ever elusive complimentary upgrade. Now perhaps they are Golds or higher etc but the discussion rarely goes into that level of detail
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
Why I asked as I have read many posters who advised they receive upgrade offers, do not accept them and then are handed the ever elusive complimentary upgrade. Now perhaps they are Golds or higher etc but the discussion rarely goes into that level of detail
I'm not sure how many get upgrade offers and then get the complimentary upgrade.

I have never experienced this. I have never ever received an upgrade offer (pre check in or at check in). Most of the time, it's at the boarding gate, when my boarding pass is scanned and they set off a beeper.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by testycal
They’re upgraded due to the cabin they’re in being oversold, no other reason, BA very rarely upgrade people otherwise.

I was regularly upgraded as a Silver from WT+ to CW (prob 30-40ish percentish) but I often flew during peak holiday times where there was less business tickets sold and a lot more economy. This is where you need to look for likelihood of upgrades from WT+, the back of the bus, not WT+ itself or CW and it’s time of year and route that will likely determine your odds

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Apr 4, 2019 at 4:13 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by StingWest
If you log into your acct and go into Manage my Booking, if there is an offer you will clearly see it when the reservation comes up. You will also see it on the BA phone app, but the Upgrade function doesn't seem to work there, at least on the Android version of the app.

You can also ask at the desk when you check in, but in my experience the prices are (slightly) better if you do it on line. Which route are you flying - there is a whole thread on this topic of "POUG" (just search it, or I think this is the link: Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2019 thread )
you'll only potentially see poug offers on mmb if you are on o/d itineraries not if you have connections. Aup or olci paid upgrade offers may be available on any type of itinerary and may be cheaper or more expensive too.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
On some routes the AUP offers are insane. Got offered 829 GBP for WTP from Mex to Lhr. That was one way on a fare that had already cost 1500 usd. When shopping around can sometimes pick up return in CW from 1900 to 2400 usd. I have heard of lower AUPs but it seems route dependent.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I'm not sure how many get upgrade offers and then get the complimentary upgrade.

I have never experienced this. I have never ever received an upgrade offer (pre check in or at check in). Most of the time, it's at the boarding gate, when my boarding pass is scanned and they set off a beeper.
The last two times I’ve been upgraded from WTP to CW (from YVR and DXB) I’ve been asked if I wanted to pay to upgrade at the check-in desk, and then received it complimentary anyway between then and boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.