Transfers at LCY

Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Transfers at LCY

Not being familiar with LCY I would ask for some help.

I am looking at arriving in to LCY from a domestic then off to MUC 50 minutes later.

How do the transfers work at LCY do you have to go in and out or is there a transfer route and if there is do you need to clear security again or is it straight through as in T5.

Any advice gratefully received
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is no transfer route. You exit landside, go upstairs and through security to get to the airside departures area.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
you should be through domestic arrivals so fast that it makes no difference. You can be plane to DLR in 90 seconds!

*edit: assuming no luggage. If you have some to pick up, you should still be fine.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
You can be plane to DLR in 90 seconds!
That's a little optimistic. But the OP is asking about transferring, not exiting, and the biggest delay is likely to be in getting back through security, especially at peak times - I've had two 20-minute waits in recent weeks.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by Misco60; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the info. We will only be hand luggage so I will go for it
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:29 am

should be OK if no delays - you need to get back through security (there is no airside transfer) but London City security is very efficient except if we're talking peak times like Monday morning...and the cut-off at the gate is normally close enough to departure that you should have a good chunk of that 50 minutes as "real" time without any silly conformance eating into it

if there's a delay, you're in a pickle - with no delay, hand luggage only and a normal walking speed I think this is OK
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Is it the last flight of the day to MUC?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:51 am

think there is only one MUC flight a day on BA?

or are you on LH to MUC...in which case, separate tickets?

if it's BA and a single ticket, worst case scenario is presumably you have to trek over to LHR for one of the 5-6 daily rotations to MUC from there...
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Yes the last flight of the day to MUC

Coming down from EDI
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
There is no transfer route. You exit landside, go upstairs and through security to get to the airside departures area.
Quite right. That said, I have previously arrived several times at LCY on both LH and LX and every time the crew have (presumably reading from their usual sheet) announced that connecting passengers should follow the signs to Flight Connections....

That aside, does anyone know whther checked luggage can be transferred at LCY - in my case this would be an upcoming TXL-LCY-IOM, all on one redemption ticket.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratypus
think there is only one MUC flight a day on BA?

or are you on LH to MUC...in which case, separate tickets?

if it's BA and a single ticket, worst case scenario is presumably you have to trek over to LHR for one of the 5-6 daily rotations to MUC from there...
BA single ticket EDI-LCY-MUC last flight of the day on a Friday evening. Don´t know how busy LCY is on Fridays
Suspended

Originally Posted by ratypus
think there is only one MUC flight a day on BA?....
A https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ity-to-munich/

British Airways is to commence three-times daily flights to Munich from London City from February 16, 2019.

Btw There’s an 8.10am flight on Saturday.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
That aside, does anyone know whther checked luggage can be transferred at LCY - in my case this would be an upcoming TXL-LCY-IOM, all on one redemption ticket.
Yes there is airside transfer of bags that are tagged through.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
For what it's worth, I passed through LCY on my way to Dublin last Friday night. I use LCY a bit but it was my first time using it on a Friday night. Of course, the fact is was the original B-day may explain this, but the airport was a ghost town at around 7pm. I had to check a bag in, but there was two free bag drop agents when I got there (a third was dealing with another customer). I asked the lady if it was always this quiet and she said I'd missed the rush.

I went upstairs to security, there was only one lane open, and while all the five "footprints" (I don't know what other word to use to describe them) were occupied, there was only one other person ahead of me. So again, through in seconds.

From past experience, it would seem the rush at LCY is between 4pm and 6pm. But it perhaps ends even earlier on Fridays as people want to get away.
burnsie21 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes there is airside transfer of bags that are tagged through.
Yes, but just a reminder to the OP about liquids in hand luggage.
Lost some nice Fortnum and Mason jam at LCY security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.