Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios redeposit fee on very cheap bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

assume I book a shorthaul oneway award with Avios for 4500 Avios + 21 EUR in fees, and later cancel the award and want the Avios back.

Will BA charge me extra 21.50EUR for redepositing these Avios (since the redeposit fee at 42.50EUR is higher than the fees I paid for the ticket), or will I simply get the Avios back without having to pay anything on top of the 21 EUR I paid for the ticket? How are such cases handled?

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
BA will simply retain the €21 - they’ll ignore the shortfall on the cancellation fee.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pauldb

BA will simply retain the €21 - they’ll ignore the shortfall on the cancellation fee.
is this true for all award bookings? I see one in the US for $5.60 in fees/taxes. If I ultimately cancel, I'll only lose the $5.60 but get the miles back?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
is this true for all award bookings? I see one in the US for $5.60 in fees/taxes. If I ultimately cancel, I'll only lose the $5.60 but get the miles back?
Yes it applies to those too, so as long as you cancel more than 24 hours before your flight you won't get your $5.60 back but you won't be asked to cure the difference for the remainder of the $55 cancellation fee. You will get all the avios back.
Lefly and TravelinSperry like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.