Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well done BA!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Well done BA!

On Sunday’s 315 (CDG>LHR) a pax ‘mistakenly’ lifted my Dad’s backpack out of the overhead locker and de-planed. Upon realising this, my father asked the Purser for help. The Purser ran after the guy, apprehended him at Flight Connections, proved the bag was not his, and retrieved it for my father. Huge thanks (Golden Ticket, tweet, e mail to AC) to the Purser. #TooMuchDrama
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC Ennui 50K · BA Gold · EIL Carte Blanche
If the passenger did not have a bag in the first place, it would seem even more reasonable this was an act of theft.

Your Dad's quick thinking and the Purser's complete brilliance obviously saved the day.

If you feel it was theft, this is something that should be reported to the Police. Someone who picks on people and runs for it has absolutely no place on any airline network.

You no doubt have the situation in hand.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Presumably the passenger who had your dad's backpack left his own on the aircraft. Was he reunited with it later on?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know this winds some people up, in terms of using "their" locker, but there is a lot to be said to putting your bags in the overhead side opposite to where you are sitting. So if you are in an A, B or C seat using the lockers above seats D, E and F. This way you get to keep an eye on them far better than if they are above you.
expatboy, 12939, Fontana and 27 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know this winds some people up, in terms of using "their" locker, but there is a lot to be said to putting your bags in the overhead side opposite to where you are sitting. So if you are in an A, B or C seat using the lockers above seats D, E and F. This way you get to keep an eye on them far better than if they are above you.
I've always done this since reading an earlier recommendation from you, CWS. It also means less swivelling when deplaning too. So that's nice.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There are some who assert that "your locker space" is the one opposite, not the one above. If everyone shares that view, there is no conflict (as ever ). I can definitely see the point.

Meanwhile, well done to that BA staff member!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Or under the seat in front of you for even better visibility.

Sorry, I'll get my coat!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Yes, I do this whenever possible, as it is easier to keep an eye on the bag - not only to guard against potential theft, but also to watch out for possible damage from clowns trying to jam oversized bags into the locker without regard for bags already in there.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: None anymore
My bag was also "mistakenly" lifted out of the locker - back when I was a lowly SCH and got separated from my bag on a very busy AMS-LHR flight. The Purser retrieved the bag as the culprit came through passport control. Claimed it had been misidentified - which I don't accept because the bag was highly distinctive, unusual and valuable.

Stealing bags from the overhead is a thing folks.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Unquestionably this is a thing. From what I've heard it's usually highly organised. A friend of mine had his passport stolen at HKG airside a couple of years ago- again this seems to be a thing. As does theft out of bags on long haul services. Be vigilant everyone and whilst the biggest danger posed by the vast majority of our fellow travellers is a severe DYKWIA attitude, there are some very unsavoury types out there. Well done to the crew on this flight.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:13 am

ANNND another reason to be gate lice..
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm always amazed there isn't more theft of checked bags. If you're late to the carousel any Tom, Barney, or Fred (or Jane, Betty, or Wilma) can just run off with your bag. Heck, seems like people could just come in off the street, grab some luggage that's going round and round, and head back out.

I used to try and run to the rental car counter first, while the bags are being unloaded, so I could be the first in the rental car line. My paranoia prevents me from doing that now.

Last edited by DCAFly; Apr 2, 2019 at 7:48 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:08 am

Im actually pretty good with keeping my valuables on me.. i have a bumbag that i strap across my chest that has my passport, credit cards and phone.. i never take that off and sleep with it on during the flight.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Lot to be said for carrying a T8191 bright yellow backpack with large Flyertalk label attached. Nobody in their right mind would take that by 'mistake'.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:44 am

I was on a greyhound bus in america once and stupidly put my legs up across the 2 seats and put my eyemask on.. i heard a zip open close to me and looked up and saw that someone had taken my backpack. i lost my s**t and started screaming "who the hell took my bag" and turned my iphone light on.. whoever had taken it had put it a few rows down but it was closed again. They obviously had opened it and realised it was full of american snacks and didnt delve deeper and realise that right at the bottom, in a padded case, was my ipad mini.

I got REALLY lucky and now the bag stays with me on my lap when i am on a bus. im going to start locking my backpack when im on the plane now.
standbyalldtime likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.