Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Nigeria Pizza Delivery ?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
People do this all the time when flying out of Halifax, NS. They even have a shop in the airport that sells live lobsters and packs them on ice as a carry-on.
https://halifaxstanfield.ca/park-sho...water-seafood/
Do they allow ice cubes through security in Halifax? The shop says it's pre-security.

Do lobsters actually survive air travel? On this side of the pond, I thought about bringing live lobsters from France (they cost twice as much here as in France), but wasn't sure if they would survive the ordeal (AFAIK, dead lobster meat quickly becomes toxic).

P. S. What an amazing thread - started with finding out whether the pizza delivery was an April Fool joke end evolved into a great discussion over the intricacies of the English language
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Anyone else bringing shortbread from the UK?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
The only food shipping I have done was to Dubai, when visiting a friend. Sausages, bacon, gammon steaks, charcuterie, champagne. Frozen (where applicable!) and packed last minute and were still frozen on arrival. Was very happy to not be selected for arrival luggage checks!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC Ennui 50K · BA Gold · EIL Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Do they allow ice cubes through security in Halifax? The shop says it's pre-security.
I think Clearwater at YHZ actually use frozen peas(!) to pack up the lobsters. It is pre-security right in the middle of the terminal.

I was always amazed as a kid to see lobsters at an airport! Still consider it the most unique, local aspect of any part of the "international travel system" across my experience.

Just goes to show what a great place NS is...

The Province is of course most pleased to promote lobster buying - lovely revenue for everyone.

Halifax Security must be quite happy with Clearwater's approach as the shop seems to do well. However, I'm not so sure what would happen if you brought catch in a pot off the boat!
cockpitvisit and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TTmex
Travelling from Mex to Lon regularly, I bring about 10 bottles of chilli sauces, normally Chipotles. Some to satisfy my own urge for spicy food while away, but some for my brother who's a chef and for friends who prefer their chilli with a kick.
Chipotle is for kids ! Next time look for Dave's Insanity or better (best) Ghost Pepper Sauce !
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HMPS
Chipotle is for kids ! Next time look for Dave's Insanity or better (best) Ghost Pepper Sauce !
Haha, indeed, But last time I brought a Pasta de Habanero (concentrated paste of crushed up chillies) to the UK, I found the bottle still barely touched some 6 months later. Most people don't have the palate for it. I have a delightful selection of very spicy chilli sauces at my Mexico home, but the important thing is the flavour more than the heat. The smokey flavour of chipotle and citrus of habanero are my favourites. I personally like to toast pineapple, onion, garlic and habanero chillies on a comal and then later blend them up with oil and vinegar. Creates a tangy, spicy sauce that goes well on all sorts, especially fish tacos. Can buy ghost chillies here in my local supermarket. Having tried them, they just are not much fun. They just burn like hell and taste of not much.

I remember trying Dave's insanity sauce some years ago. Had the same effect. Doesn't taste of much and just makes the face go numb

Provecho
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Boreas
I think Clearwater at YHZ actually use frozen peas(!) to pack up the lobsters.
That is a damn fine idea! I shall have to use that method should I choose to bring some food requiring chilling in my hand luggage. No-one could say that frozen peas are liquid (mashy peas excepted...), I guess!
Boreas likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BobServant

One of my colleagues brought a roasted goose back from Frankfurt in hand luggage. I’d have loved to see the X-Ray of that suitcase
German goose is better than British goose? I'd had good goose in both places, and also in Austria. (Sorry gooselee.)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Anyone else bringing shortbread from the UK?
Yes indeed. You can find shortbread in a few places in the USA, but it tends to be expensive, stale and crumby.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
To allude to the thread title around pizzas, albeit without knowledge if Nigerian delivery is possible, I recently had an innovative variation on the theme, that maybe is old news to some, but I never saw before. In the Excutive Lounge of a Marriott hotel in KUL, among the hot items at cocktail hours were slices of pizza with toppings of smoked salmon and capers. At first somewhat strange for the eye, but actually very tasty.

To add some info to the OT excursion, I fondly remember when I flew more to/through CPH, where there was an airside shop selling live lobsters, packed on an ice block in a styrofoam case. Don't know if that business is still around.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Vs. a PM "Jilted" thrice by her own party ! ......
But as of now, still the PM!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
My wife had a bad experience in Detroit when she forgot about a banana in her carry-on and ended up being surrounded by a canine unit and threatened with a hefty fine.

This was in 2009 before we were married and I went over for Christmas a few months later to meet the rest of her family (we'd just got engaged), and I offered to cook Christmas dinner. With her Detroit experience fresh in my mind, I thought it best to declare the goose fat and chestnut puree required for the meal - there was no way I was going to find these in south-central Kentucky!

I was met by a burly woman at customs in ORD who took my form and in a thick southern accent questioned "goose fat? You're bringing goose fat into my country?" She then shouted to a colleague "Jerry, I've got a British nut here with goose fat". The conversation continued where I explained that this was essential for my roast potatoes. She did let me take it in, but left me with "I'm sure as hell glad you're not cooking my Christmas dinner". I wished a merry Christmas and quickly scuttled off to T3 to get my connection to BNA.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
First the Yankees left "The Empire". Then they forgot how to cook a proper Christmas dinner. Then they decided to change the English language. Then ...
Oh, bother! Pooh Bear would not be impressed either
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
Serves them right for leaving "The Empire" and correct English. Now they have a "leader" who can only huff and puff, and tweet.
Pot! Kettle!
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Pot! Kettle!
And now the former "sunjects" are beginning to own more & more of the "Empire" !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.