Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Nigeria Pizza Delivery ?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Not BA (or even flying) related but felt compelled to share my own story of meat import/export. While on holiday in Turkey many years ago we became friendly with the owner of a local hotel/bar. On mentioning that we were taking a day trip to Kos he asked that we bring back as much of the "good European bacon" as we could, as it's hard to get in Turkey. By hard to get, I think he meant illegal, so we 'forgot' to get some.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Actual luggage allowance on a Tanzanian domestic flight.

Scots_Al, Stez, LTN Phobia and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
As for checking in unusual things, I remember a story my Dad told me years ago about a change in luggage policy at British Caledonian. At the time in their First class there was either a piece restriction or a weight restriction. The Piece restriction resulted in people checking in suitcases of bicycle spokes (apparently there was no limit on the weight of an individual case for some reason) and the weight restricted alternative resulted people checking in dozens of empty suitcases! Needless to say both were a complete disaster.

For my personal carriage I have travelled with car parts to the caribbean to pay for scuba diving, it didn't save me a huge amount but it made the divemaster very happy indeed.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Qatar Privilege Silver, Club Accor Platinum, IHG Gold
I always have a big block of cheddar and a few packs of smoked bacon in my carry on, weekly LHR-LYS or LHR GVA
adrianlondon and rossmacd like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
We are compelled by my sister-in-law in BOS to take Cadbury's chocolate, wine gums and PG Tips when we visit. Last time we also managed a bag or two of cheese and onion kettle chips that must have fallen into my rucksack from the lounge at LHR.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Qatar Privilege Silver, Club Accor Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many people who speak American don't know what a fortnight is.
Fortnight is a game, my kids play it...
superweak likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I forget the details, but I believe Tom Cruise used to have food from the Bombay Brasserie near Gloucester Road Tube delivered by private jet to somewhere else in Europe where he was filming.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jctech
I always have a big block of cheddar and a few packs of smoked bacon in my carry on, weekly LHR-LYS or LHR GVA
So that's why the mice appear in the lounge
Mordac likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC
The baggage hall in IPC (Easter Island) after a flight from SCL is always filled with big boxes of (mostly) steak. Unsurprisingly, fresh meat is expensive and not great quality on the island, so returning islanders always stock up on the mainland.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I remember engaging in a conversation on this forum (BA section) about getting clotted cream in Australia (I think it was Australia) where private importation of dairy products is rather difficult. I think someone posted how to make it, which I experimented (although the experiment was done in an oven in rural Sussex) to success.

Anyway, I so often made full use of BA's generous checked baggage allowances, mostly filled with food (and required ice packs etc.).

Maybe BA could start a new business of international food couriers (would that be a TP-runners' heaven?).

What we do for food...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We are importers of various US foodstuffs from every trip over there.

A couple of essentials ...
https://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/sides.html ... [the Rice ones, not the Pasta].
https://www.vgourmet.com ... [especially the Smoky Paprika Chipotle]

Does make the cases a bit heavy, though!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Serves them right for leaving "The Empire" and correct English. Now they have a "leader" who can only huff and puff, and tweet.
As opposed to action-orientated and effective British "leadership"? Bwahahahahahaaa

[/off topic]
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
We also used to export from USA. Steaks and racks of ribs usually. I can remember one particular conversation with security at x ray machine, where I had 4 or 5 racks of ribs (vacuum packed) in my cabin bag. I’m sure they thought I had body parts in bags. ��
We also lived in Azerbaijan for a few years and missed treats from home, it wasn’t uncommon to head back there after a leave with a bag filled with Aberdeen “rowies”, mealie puddings and fish that we’d bought fresh and frozen ourselves.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jctech
A number of years ago (2002) I flew back to YYZ from LHR with 5 Olympic grade target rifles in checked baggage. I had all documentation and the CRA folks were VERY professional and thorough with the examination of the target rifles and documents. They insisted on special handling to the next (domestic) flight to YWG and there were no issues with the rifles there either.

However, a fellow passenger brought some English meat products (sausages etc) and CRA confiscated them all because they did not have some sort of "seal" or "sticker" showing - I suppose - that they were safe to eat in Canada. The fellow protested that these were for personal consumption and use, but no matter as CRA took the entire lot of his products. I cannot remember if he brought any nice English cheeses, but they would have probably been confiscated as well.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Since we are on the subject - the only reason why I ever check bags is when I have been food shopping. Now that we are living in Spain, the things that I buy are

Marmite ( obtainable here but at a price)
Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (ditto)
Jacobs Balsamic Vinegar and Salt Cracker Crisps (Unobtainable outside the UK)
Horseradish - used in making Bloody Marys (tried in Palm Springs and begged for the recipe)
Benedicta Mayonnaise (I can make my own but this is pretty good and unobtainable in Spain so I buy it in France)
Benedicta Sauce Bearnaise (Unobtainable in Spain)
Taramosalata used to be on the list but I can get it here now
From Italy Hero Diet Jams - simply the best other than home made
Piccallili
Colman's Mustard Powder for making Caesar Salad Dressing.
Roses Lime marmalade (never seen it in Spain or France)
Punjana Tea Bags (the only tea to get me to use bags. Unobtainable outside the UK and frankly some of the best everyday that I have ever tasted. It is hard enough to get in the UK but mostly in the UK)
Cathedral Extra Mature Cheddar.

As I buy lots of these products, I need lots of room and as some are liquids and gels and I cannot carry them any other way. Everything else I buy local - the fish is superb and the meat is of a quality that one does not find readily in the UK with the sole exception of legs of lamb as the Spanish do not roast a lot.
HIDDY and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.