Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for searching ex EU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Tips for searching ex EU

So having finally convinced Mr SM that ex DUB, INV or even AMS would not be a major upheaval I’m not finding much in the way of flights. I may well be searching wrongly as I thought with options as varied as Nashville, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas and Denver and any combination of round trips or multi cities I would surely be able to find something reasonable but so far no joy.
Im looking for early September for 16 days in CW with car hire and as a I said, pretty flexible about the end location. Home airports are Glasgow or Edinburgh so need to be able to position from there.

Have searched on BA, Oneworld and also google matrix where I’ve set price alerts but nothing so far. Am I missing something or is it sinply a case of checking daily to see what I can get?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Try ex ARN. For example:

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:29 pm

Setup price alerts on Google Flights and hang fire. September is a long way off so I’d (almost) bet my house on something appearing ex INV or AMS in the next 2-3 months. DUB seems to have been less blessed recently but as a ballpark figure I would jump on anything that appears in the £1k pp region. Upto £1,250 I’d accept especially if I was heading into July. It’s once you get below 6 weeks pre departure that the chance of any great deals dries up.

There was a very recent ex AMS deal that I took advantage of for 1k pp to almost anywhere in the States (I bookedNYC in Sept) and I’m currently in California for £2.5k for me & my wife in J with 10days SUV rental ex INV.

Be prepared to move fast if something appears though as the AMS deal lasted less than 1 day.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Yes, try ARN, CPH or OSL (my favourite for Asia/Australasia deals).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Scandi from Scotland is slow and expensive

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Surprising as it may sound positioning to the likes of ARN from Scotland can be slow, expensive and risky. MAN is slightly better but fitting in with QR timings is tricky and may need an overnight in both directions! At least with MAN some direct options exist - albeit except HEL (Nordics not Scandi) they are not OW.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The ones I regularly search for INV, JER, DUB, GOT, OSL, CPH, DUS, AMS, BRU, LUX, BCN, OPO, NCE, MXP, GVA (which never works!). One could consider bits of Eastern Europe (notably OTP) and places in the Med. but I don't need the TPs, it's just cost. Sometimes KEF throws up ideas with other airlines in the mix.

In terms of how to do this, the best thing you can do is spend a while coming up with your very best outcome, put the details (dates, flight numbers and times, cost) in this forum and see if anyone can improve on it or pick holes in the arrangement.

If car hire is an important part of the package then I suspect you best focus on BA Holidays and start from the UK.
Mordac likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also keep an eye on the Premium Fare thread and the TP run one. Whilst you’re not specifically mentioning TPs that’s a good thread for cheaper fares as inevitably those are the ones that trigger interest. ARN often seems the go to origin, and is convenient for HEL if you do fancy routing in some extra TPs.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Modo
Surprising as it may sound positioning to the likes of ARN from Scotland can be slow, expensive and risky. MAN is slightly better but fitting in with QR timings is tricky and may need an overnight in both directions! At least with MAN some direct options exist - albeit except HEL (Nordics not Scandi) they are not OW.
Direct flight on Norwegian from Edinburgh to ARN, £100 return or so in September.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Setup price alerts on Google Flights and hang fire. September is a long way off so I’d (almost) bet my house on something appearing ex INV or AMS in the next 2-3 months. DUB seems to have been less blessed recently but as a ballpark figure I would jump on anything that appears in the £1k pp region. Upto £1,250 I’d accept especially if I was heading into July. It’s once you get below 6 weeks pre departure that the chance of any great deals dries up.

There was a very recent ex AMS deal that I took advantage of for 1k pp to almost anywhere in the States (I bookedNYC in Sept) and I’m currently in California for £2.5k for me & my wife in J with 10days SUV rental ex INV.

Be prepared to move fast if something appears though as the AMS deal lasted less than 1 day.
I saw the ex AMS deal just too late or that would probably have been just what I was after.

will hold on a bit, there’s no desperate rush (other than my own impatience). The car hire can be separate if it restricts options.

Ex INV would probably be the best I could do - ease Mr SM in gently before I start taking him off to more unexpected destinations to start trips to the US!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Direct flight on Norwegian from Edinburgh to ARN, £100 return or so in September.
If you want lounge access, you can pay about five times that amount for EDI-ARN-EDI on SK in SAS Plus.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:31 am

IB also have direct flights to Miami and some other US cities from Madrid. When I was pricing a trip to Puerto Rico it was much cheaper starting in MAD than London (I was shopping for E+).
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Special deals can be very random and route specific. I got Berlin to Sydney for £1100 in Premium Economy recently for travel in December, which is ridiculously cheap. The offer was only available from Germany and Austria.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
I’ve found CPH to be very good for WTP, we are paying £2800 for 4 in February to SAN with an SUV for 12 nights, UUA’d to Club. Word of warning though, we booked online on a Saturday and had to wait until the German BA holiday office opened on Monday to upgrade.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:04 am

Customers from Denmark are served by the German BA office?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
I live in GOT (Gothenburg) and we are some decent prices as well... For me that is.. GOT-LHR-JFK-IAD-LHR-GOT. Paid 32,000 Swedish crowns ( 3400 US). 1700 per person in CW. Upgraded using Avios to FIrst with no additional tax.. I'm happy. I did this back in April..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.