CW Defective Seat Compo

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
CW Defective Seat Compo

I am really not a big fan of the compo culture we see today, but just looking for opinions...

My flight to JFK, the foot stool of the seat, whilst it stayed at the right angle, it would not stay at the same level. As soon as I put my feet on it when the seat was in bed mode, it would slide down to the lower level, the one intended for the Z positioning of the seat.

Crew were lovely. Flight was full in all but WT, so no where to move to.

What is the feel on Avios offer for this? 10k?

I have never had a defective paid for CW seat before...

Ta.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:38 am

I got 40k Avios for a CW seat that would not fully recline (it reclined about a third of the way then stopped). This was on JFK-LHR where sleep is mission critical. This was in 2018, or possibly 2017 - I can't remember exactly
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
CW is advertised as a flying bed, you got a comfortable chair. So I think the difference between Premium Y & CW would be in order (no idea how many avios that is these days, but would also look for an approximate value of taxes to be included in the avios refund).
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I got 10k back in 2017 for a totally defective CW seat EWR-LHR. It was eventually increased to 20k when I asked BA not to insult me. This was during the time when Cruz was feeling particularly tight.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks...

Dropped a note into Customer Relations, detailing the seat issues and the snapped off headphone prong in the socket... Will see what they come back with
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I believe it used to be the case a few years ago that the prescribed compo was 12.5k Avios for a footstool issue but I'm not sure if it's been revised since then and it may be dependant on status however it does seem to be generally better now than then and from anecdotal posts seems variable.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26741333-post447.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26741377-post448.html

I suspect you may get 15-20k including the additional issue but do let us know how you get on if possible
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
40k for a seat that had a mind of its own about 2 months ago
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:53 am

I just got 15K for a seat that had a medal rod protruding from it when reclined (making it extremely uncomfortable for sleeping).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:31 pm

Could the crew come up with any solution like topping up the gap with some bedding? Might not have worked but worth a try. Not sure about how much compo to expect.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Could the crew come up with any solution like topping up the gap with some bedding? Might not have worked but worth a try. Not sure about how much compo to expect.
There was not any spare bedding to use... F and J were full... So not really any spare bedding to use... Hey ho, we will see what comes back.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA silver
The other half (BA gold) had exactly the same issue with a loose footstool that kept collapsing on a CW redeye flight around Sept 2018. Mentioned to the CSD who made a note of it on the iPad.
Contacted by BA and received 40K in Avios (though I think with some negotiating). Good luck
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, the "apology" was 2500 Avios.

Oddly enough, I have replied asking them to re-asses their response to the issue.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by snuffi
a seat that had a mind of its own about 2 months ago
Originally Posted by Buster
a seat that had a medal rod protruding from it when reclined (making it extremely uncomfortable for sleeping).
Originally Posted by flyingquack
a loose footstool that kept collapsing on a CW redeye flight around Sept 2018
A defective seat can negate the value of flying CW. Everything mechanical can malfunction but often it's hard to believe the defect wasn't present until the moment you sat down. Sometimes I feel the link between reporting a fault and taking the seat out of service (i.e. not selling it to an unsuspecting punter) is weaker than it should be.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting turn of events...

I had a response today from my reply about the 2500 Avios "compensation" they are now calling it, saying that they would not increase it as any airline would not be able to guarantee a customers seat preference on a flight.

So, I have again replied saying that they have completely missed the very first 2 lines of the original communication, that the footstool was broken, and I was unable to sleep in a flat bed on a long haul flight as it was not a flat bed, well only 2/3 of it was.

So, 2500 was a sorry for not having my preferred seat, wherever that came from. Lets see what comes back this time...
Geordie405 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Well, the "apology" was 2500 Avios.

Oddly enough, I have replied asking them to re-asses their response to the issue.
Yeah, insufficient. I got 5,000 Avios today for a non-descending footstool in WT+ LHR-TLV, by way of comparison. This surely must be worth at least the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.