CW Defective Seat Compo

Reply

Old Apr 9, 19, 3:41 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,963
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
2500 does seem to be on the stingy side.You should have been more Flyertalker melodramatic when you complained to the CSD BBB.

Maybe they forgot to record it?
Sadly, the remaining BA'ness and "crew" in me is unable to do drama onboard.

And, as for forgetting to record it... I was stood with her in the CSD office under the stairs when she wrote it in the AML/Cabin Tech Log.
HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:47 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 621
I rarely comment on other people's posts but have to say that I find FP's remarks even worse than unhelpful and unnecessary.
DYKWIA and sarahuk like this.
Stormbel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:48 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,963
Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
I rarely comment on other people's posts but have to say that I find FP's remarks even worse than unhelpful and unnecessary.
Which is why I have stopped replying to them...
Stormbel likes this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:03 am
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,328
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
I think this is unfair regarding obsession. What I'm doing is contributing to an interesting debate (as are you). What value is ascribed to various elements of a flight's overall package? You say the seat is the fundamental upon which the rest is built, but that could be equally said about the safe transportation from A to B, or the personal space offered or indeed the cabin crew service. Isn't it valuable to explore this and see what comes to light from each of our opinions? For me, what has come to light is that I agree 2500 is too low, however I disagree that the compensation awarded should be based all about the seat element, and the others disregarded.
Transporting us - in safety - is a given assumption. So that doesn't count for 'value' here. The 'upgraded' food and beverage doesn't count either because it's not the reaon I fly premium. I can manage perfectly well with an economy meal (I do whenever I eat out at a cheap place for lunch or dinner).

The whole point of biz class is the flat bed. That's the product differential over PEY or Y. If you can't use it, there should be full compensation, otherwise I might as well have been in the main cabin. (In other words... would you pay £1000 extra just for the CW meal?)
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:17 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Transporting us - in safety - is a given assumption. So that doesn't count for 'value' here. The 'upgraded' food and beverage doesn't count either because it's not the reaon I fly premium. I can manage perfectly well with an economy meal (I do whenever I eat out at a cheap place for lunch or dinner).

The whole point of biz class is the flat bed. That's the product differential over PEY or Y. If you can't use it, there should be full compensation, otherwise I might as well have been in the main cabin. (In other words... would you pay £1000 extra just for the CW meal?)
I agree that the transportation is a given assumption - although I also think that it is reasonable that the transportation of the OP and his bags forms part of the value of his fare. Primarily, we are paying to get from A to B, but just with different amounts of comfort.

If you are making an argument that say the compensation should be partly based upon the difference between CW and WTP, less some allowance for the extras over and above WTP that CW allows, then this may be more reasonable. After all, the seat that BingBongBoy received was arguably close to a WTP product, except with more privacy, space, lounge access, better food etc So maybe as a base point, take the Avios difference between the CW and WTP fares, adjust for other CW elements not provided by WTP and go from there?
Flexible preferences is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:20 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
Which is why I have stopped replying to them...
I'm really sorry to hear that, but understand that's up to you.
Flexible preferences is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:50 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,328
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
After all, the seat that BingBongBoy received was arguably close to a WTP product, except with more privacy, space, lounge access, better food etc So maybe as a base point, take the Avios difference between the CW and WTP fares, adjust for other CW elements not provided by WTP and go from there?
Except that possibly, like me, the OP may not have chosen WTP if they weren't going to get the flat bed. They might have been just as happy with WT as the extra cost for a wider seat and a bit of extra legroom is rarely a good value-for-money proposition. (If you are going to be forced to downgrade, why accept a product you might not buy anyway?)
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:01 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,126
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Except that possibly, like me, the OP may not have chosen WTP if they weren't going to get the flat bed. They might have been just as happy with WT as the extra cost for a wider seat and a bit of extra legroom is rarely a good value-for-money proposition. (If you are going to be forced to downgrade, why accept a product you might not buy anyway?)
Fair point, although here you are applying as a yardstick for compensation how the customer values the product. I am not sure (not being legally trained) that this is a basis for reasonable compensation calculation.

As I see it, the OP pretty much received a CW product in its entirety except that instead of a fully flat bed he received a bed in the Z configuration. I understand that this was not what was paid for, and not what he would have chosen. So the question comes down to what is reasonable compensation here? This is what BingBongBoy asked for, our opinions given his concerns about the compensation culture and presumably wanting to be fair in his expectations. You seem to be saying it should be the Avios difference between Y and CW, but I think that is an excessive expectation in this case.
Flexible preferences is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:12 am
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,328
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Fair point, although here you are applying as a yardstick for compensation how the customer values the product. I am not sure (not being legally trained) that this is a basis for reasonable compensation calculation.

As I see it, the OP pretty much received a CW product in its entirety except that instead of a fully flat bed he received a bed in the Z configuration. I understand that this was not what was paid for, and not what he would have chosen. So the question comes down to what is reasonable compensation here? This is what BingBongBoy asked for, our opinions given his concerns about the compensation culture and presumably wanting to be fair in his expectations. You seem to be saying it should be the Avios difference between Y and CW, but I think that is an excessive expectation in this case.
I think it is fair to say EU261 sees it from the point of 'value'. You get downgraded you get 75% of the ticket price. it doesn't matter if you get downgraded from F to J, or J to Y. It's seen as a single product - not components of the product you may get (otherwise the difference between F and J might only be 30% for example).

I think it's fair to say long haul biz class these days is all about the flat bed. I think the first thing most people look for is the flat bed. Meals and everything else then differentiates between airlines. (I for example would take an airline with a flat bed and an economy meal over an airline with angled beds but a 5-course meal.)
BingBongBoy likes this.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:58 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,306
one thing that struck me about this thread; @BingBongBoy can’t you pull rank as an ex-employee?
BingBongBoy and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by allturnleft; Apr 10, 19 at 7:44 am
allturnleft is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:20 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BA GGL CCR. Marriott Silver Elite, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 27
As a point of reference, there were approximately 15 broken CW and First seats on the flight from Bridgetown to Gatwick last night and each passenger was offered 80,000 avios compensation.
LHRagain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:04 am
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,963
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
one thing that struck me about this thread; @BingBongBoy canít you pull rank as an ex-employee?
I like your thinking... But, sadly no... If anything, I think some crew feel it can be a bit of a free card to try and get away with stuff... meal choices running out etc. but I would never ask for anything in terms of special treatment from crew based on my old employment status. If anything, it probably makes me a worse passenger as I know what should, roughly, be being done and when
wrp96 and allturnleft like this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:05 am
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,963
Originally Posted by LHRagain View Post
As a point of reference, there were approximately 15 broken CW and First seats on the flight from Bridgetown to Gatwick last night and each passenger was offered 80,000 avios compensation.


Heavens... Well... Wow...!

2,500 v 80,000 really does put this into perspective
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:46 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Fair point, although here you are applying as a yardstick for compensation how the customer values the product. I am not sure (not being legally trained) that this is a basis for reasonable compensation calculation.

As I see it, the OP pretty much received a CW product in its entirety except that instead of a fully flat bed he received a bed in the Z configuration. I understand that this was not what was paid for, and not what he would have chosen. So the question comes down to what is reasonable compensation here? This is what BingBongBoy asked for, our opinions given his concerns about the compensation culture and presumably wanting to be fair in his expectations. You seem to be saying it should be the Avios difference between Y and CW, but I think that is an excessive expectation in this case.
Well for reference I was given 15,000 Avios for a broken TV in Club World in 2012. I recently had the misfortune of a completely broken new Polaris seat (no TV or power either) on United and was offered 15K miles OR $300 ecert (took the $). United has given others the same compensation for just a broken TV, so they're all over the map in compensation too. It isn't limited to BA, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
:
2,500 v 80,000 really does put this into perspective
Yes, it really does.

I don't know the correct number for compensation, but I do know it isn't 2,500 Avios.
airb330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:05 am
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,963
Well, my case has come to a close...

77,500 Avios have been credited to my account, along with an apology from someone else in customer relations for the issue with the seat, and it having not been properly dealt with in the first lot of communication.

77,500 is more like it...

Thanks for the advice all.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread