No lounge seating left?

Old Mar 31, 19, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
No lounge seating left?

What happens if there is no seating left? Can you sit on the floor or do they kick you out?
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Spire
It's like a car park, you just drive around until something becomes available.

Doubt you'll be kicked out
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Are you at T5A now? I've never seen the lounge so busy. Even saw one seating arguement kicking off. First weekend of the Easter holidays?
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
There are usually bags you can have people move off seats - or is every seat legitmately taken?
Old Mar 31, 19, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Last August (yeah, I know) we had to do a full tour of the T5 FLounge before eventually finding a pair of seats. Sometimes the Lounges get very busy ... lots of people seem to fly BA, despite the moans and groans here!

BUT ... we’ve never encountered a crowded FLounge at LGW.
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Plastic. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
What happens if there is no seating left? Can you sit on the floor or do they kick you out?
If you canít ask the bags on the seats to move, try sitting on the floor and see if youíll be kicked out?
Old Mar 31, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I struggle to believe that anyone would conclude that sitting on the floor in one of the BA T5 lounges is a good idea. If they were that packed (and, I admit, I have seen GF and GC at close to that point), I think Iíd just be cutting my losses and heading to Plane Food.
Old Mar 31, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by chris87 View Post
I struggle to believe that anyone would conclude that sitting on the floor in one of the BA T5 lounges is a good idea. If they were that packed (and, I admit, I have seen GF and GC at close to that point), I think Iíd just be cutting my losses and heading to Plane Food.
Yes. Or if loads of time, wander over to 5B, or Galleries North? Or ask the staff to see if they can free up occupied seats occupied by luggage?
Old Mar 31, 19, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
Can you sit on the floor or do they kick you out?
Just tell them you're doing some Yoga.
Old Mar 31, 19, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA
The point it reaches capacity they wonít let you in, and operate a one-out, one-in approach.

Never seen it occur at T5 in any lounge, but have seen it get very tight at SFO prior to a 380 flight. Iíve seen lounge staff proactively ask people to move bags and share sofas to get more available seating.
Old Mar 31, 19, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found the BA Lounge at PHX interesting ... only 14 seats available in the F section. So, once the F pax are seated, where do Golds sit?

Curiously, there were never more than 10 of us in there during my 2-3 hour stay.
Old Mar 31, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I found the BA Lounge at PHX interesting ... only 14 seats available in the F section. So, once the F pax are seated, where do Golds sit?

Curiously, there were never more than 10 of us in there during my 2-3 hour stay.
The amenities in the lounges are nearly identical other than a few alcohol options, so theyíll invite people to sit in the business class area and bring them a drink. While it had a recent renovation the lounge format is still similar to when BA operated it (other than the second Club at PHX lounge which opened last year to serve Condor and priority pass passengers).

The lease for the Club at PHX lounges has expired and the city recently voted to give space for Escape to run the lounge that BA will use and for American Express to open what will be their smallest Centurion lounge.
T8191, Geordie405 and CloudGazer like this.
Old Mar 31, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the local expertise, dylanks
Old Mar 31, 19, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Aren't public spaces such as this determined to have a maximum occupancy for fire reasons? At least in the US they do. You'll often see a plaque of some kind near the entrances to lounges but also restaurants, bars, nightclubs etc.

Personally if I can't find somewhere to sit in the lounge I'll be heading to a different one or the public area. Just because you have status or are flying a premium cabin it doesn't mean that's where you have to wait. Last year I was flying Austrian out of Newark and the LH lounge there is so terrible the wife and I walked straight out and preferred to sit by the gate...at Newark! That's a gauge as to how terrible and busy that lounge was, especially after having come from United's Polaris Lounge!

Thankfully I'm yet to have to walk out of the Terminal 5 lounges, although I did look to abandon the First Lounge at JFK the other week when it was heaving, alas the Alaska Lounge next door was closed to Priority Pass and in the 90secs it took to me to leave and come back a lot of people had left.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 31, 19, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Yes there are maximum capacities here in the UK as well though perhaps not as well posted as in the US (I've oft thought it somewhat incongruous in a gallery that the capacity sign is larger than that about the contents!)

And I agree if it's too crowded I'd be moving to another lounge after all BA has three club lounges in T5!

Search this Thread