Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I always use my own headphones but when I was talking to an FA on my flight from JFK the other day about the fact I had heard the ones now provided in F are very uncomfortable after a short time she said that they are still going missing at a rapid rate. She also said that BA are trying to make the crew responsible for any losses. Maybe CIHY can shed some light on that?
Ugghhhhh, if they move to collection of headphones an hour out of AA, we can say goodbye to a big chunk of sleep and gate to gate IFE!
HMPS likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Ugghhhhh, if they move to collection of headphones an hour out of AA, we can say goodbye to a big chunk of sleep and gate to gate IFE!
Much like IFE itself, always best to bring one's own, or a backup, just in case, if that's important to one.

rb211.
stephenjc and LBP2 like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Was in F on BA295 to Chicago on Tuesday this week on a 747. Load was 11/14 or 12/14. The cabin crew seemed genuinely excited about the recent changes, and the service was excellent. The crew specifically pointed out that people could choose when to dine, and it seemed like a wide variety of dining times were chosen. I overall like BA F, and find that good crew makes it a great experience.
  • Amenity bag contents are good, but not a fan of the fuzzy exterior. Prefer the previous Liberty bag.
  • The material of the pajamas might be slightly better than the old pajamas, but I find the neck hole too large. My wife didn't like how low cut the female pajama shirt was.
  • Slippers seem a bit better than the old ones.
  • Headphones were at least new. I feel like I've had some rough looking headphones in the past.
  • I might be getting old because I found myself admiring the crockery. Definite improvement.
  • Canapes were good. Enjoyed the salmon cube.
  • Had the Lobster Tortelloni and Seared filet of beef. Unsurprisingly he beef was more done than I'd prefer. Taste was good though. Cheese plate was good.
  • The Gin Zing was a very bland drink. Seemed like it could be improved by not using sparkling water in it.
  • LPGS good as always.
  • New bedding was great. Slept well. Cabin was cool for once.
  • The day blanked was good.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
The Gin Zing is much better modified by the ‘bubbles’ being LPGS...try it
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by tom139
The Gin Zing is much better modified by the ‘bubbles’ being LPGS...try it
This is an observation I may well try next week - were the crew happy to accomodate or was it a case of DIY?
Old May 11, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by RB211
Much like IFE itself, always best to bring one's own, or a backup, just in case, if that's important to one.

rb211.
It’s the being woken up to collect them which is the biggest issue.

It’s definitely the worst part of AA business, it’s a very non premium experience
Old May 11, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

It’s the being woken up to collect them which is the biggest issue.

It’s definitely the worst part of AA business, it’s a very non premium experience
You won't get any disagreement from me. Which is why I always take my own.

rb211.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by weebo15
This is an observation I may well try next week - were the crew happy to accomodate or was it a case of DIY?
The fantastic crew members looking after us proactively suggested this was a mandatory modification.
weebo15 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Just got off the BA216 (IAD LHR) with a full first cabin. Crew were excellent throughout. All 14 F pax were onboard within about 2 mins due to a slight delay, which placed them under initial pressure, however they were excellent. Pre take off all pax given drinks and refills, after take off drinks orders taken and meal choices and sleep intentions asked about. After take off the crew again sprang into action immediately making beds for those who wanted to sleep. Meal service was very swift with drink, canapés, 2 courses and coffee being done within 60 mins of departure. Some comments on the new service:
Crew commented it was a step up from previous offering and they enjoyed providing the service.
Bedding very comfortable, but cabin quite hot.
headphones were sturdy enough for the short time I used them.
Menu and drinks all available to me (I’m a lowly blue so well down the pecking order).

The only thing that lets this First cabin down is the rubbish IFE. Otherwise an excellent flight with great service. Well done to BA crew members to follow.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Just back yesterday from KUL and thanks to this and other threads I knew what to expect!

It was a first First so I got to use First Wing and CCR on the outbound flight. The First Wing is lovely and I understand now why it is praised so much. I had a lovely agent, who when I told her that this was my first First, she took the time to explain my Lounge options. I had a quick look around the F Lounge which seems to have changed a lot since my BMI Gold year. It seemed more opened up somehow and I only recognised the dining area from all those years ago. I must say it wasn’t as exciting as I had hoped for.

Anyway off to the CCR room which was very pleasant in an old-fashioned way. I had a late lunch of ribeye and chips (temperature perfect...) and the steak was medium/well just as I had ordered. I had a very nice red can’t remember which one.

Given the reverence that LGPS is given on this forum I had already decided that I would wait until I was on the terrace (my favourite place in the CCR) before I ordered one. It arrived and I sipped it as if I was taking the Sacrament to my comfort but, alas, there was no spiritual experience, in fact I was quite underwhelmed.

It’s perfectly nice and obviously better quality than the Castelnau but my first thought was “is this what all the fuss is about?” I much preferred the espresso martinis of which I had several (!) before my back and neck massage.

The outbound flight to KUL was great. I loved the seat and the privacy it afforded. The food was very good I had pre-ordered the chicken satay. I rarely sleep well on planes but I got a good five hours decent sleep and just had the fruit plate for breakfast. The CSM came and spoke to me at the end and apologised for not doing so earlier.

I was less impressed coming back to LHR. My first interaction with the cc was my being asked “How would you like to spend your flight with us this evening?” I assumed he meant do you want dinner or go to sleep, but why not just say that? I opted for dinner which seemed much slower than on the outbound. There was no hot towel, no wash bag offered, nor pyjamas nor slippers. I waited to see if they would be but ended up having to ask for a wash bag just before I went to bed. I was then offered pyjamas on my way to the WC which was really too late and I was wearing my own anyway.

The food again was was very good. As I suspected, the Vietnamese summer roll was to be served cold, so I went for chicken satay skewers. The crew member subsequently came back to apologise to say that the chef’s chat said the chicken satay should be served cold but eventually came back with the chicken heated up because a crew member said it was better that way...

I had the beef for my main course but wasn’t asked how I would like it. It came medium well which was just perfect.

Once again, I slept very well and woke up somewhere over South East Europe. When I moved my mattress to put the seat in the upright position I noticed that the cabin crew member had put the plastic bag containing the mattress underneath it on my seat instead of taking it away. This didn’t affect my sleep but it did strike me as being just a little bit lazy.

Breakfast was served about 80 minutes before landing I asked for a banana smoothie but was given strawberry despite the crew member coming back later to check. I didn’t notice at first and it tasted good so didn’t send it back.

The hot towel did come just as we were landing. It would have been better just after waking up and after getting on the flight.

All in all, a good, rather than a great, experience. Would I travel First again? Maybe if there was a good price in the sale, but certainly not at normal fare.

I now certainly understand better the inconsistency in First that others have spoken about.

This flight has however brought me to Gold as confirmed this morning by the App. I will wait for it to change colour over the next few days...
COLD Satay !!!!!!! Heaven Forbid
HMPS likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
You’re / Fragile masculinity syndrome

Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
“Please kindly consider not using phrases like “a tad camp” in a negative context” seriously? I was commentsting in the context of the wider audience. Apologies, I will no longer post anything to this board in case I offend your delicate sensbilities. Seeking a “no platform’ approach hurts minorities. One of my fondest memories is being at the Music Machine at a Tom Robinson gig in Camden in ‘79, 2,000 of us rejoycing in the chorus of “Sing if your Glad to be Gay” 90% of us were not but we had 100% loyalty with people who chose to define their own sexuality.

Obvs, the “wider audience” consists of he-man types for whom velvet is ‘a tad camp’ in the context of an otherwise totally butch conversation about day blankets, tiny glasses of bubbly, the color of the drawstring on pajama bottoms and the latest assortment of hyper masculine cosmeceuticals in aforementioned velvet bag, which just ruins it all, really. If I didn’t know better, I would have expected all of this to have Tom of Finland branding.

Fun, helpful post made worse by homophobia. When someone offers mild, constructive feedback, the meltdown is swift and sure [“I’m never posting anything ever again!!!! Your (sic) so mean and ungrateful.”]

Fragile masculinity has always been a key ingredient of the first class experience, I’m just grateful to have it all out in the open.

FWIW, I’m a fan of the new soft product and find it all very gay, in the best way. Specifically, I’m very grateful for the full complement of Fever Tree mixers. My super butch cabin lead mixed me a manly-man kind of Moscow mule and I was in heaven. If the pajamas came in plaid and the cosmetics purse in burlap, we’d have made a video and posted it here.

The velvet is camp? That’s the least of it, doll.

Old May 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I wish posters would publish translations for us ignorant Earth bound apes.
Crampedin13A, DYKWIA and HMPS like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I wish posters would publish translations for us ignorant Earth bound apes.
I'd prefer posters would simply remain on topic ...
Old May 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/wp-conten......-787-21.jpg

Surprised anyone is taking the new headphones, given they're just generic junk ones that a high end audio company agreed to put their name on. ElAl uses the same ones.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bkojote
https://onemileatatime.com/wp-conten......-787-21.jpg

Surprised anyone is taking the new headphones, given they're just generic junk ones that a high end audio company agreed to put their name on. ElAl uses the same ones.
Are they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.