Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Each of the portions of vegetables are loaded individually and in sets of three sides, the portion of broccoli looks correct but when not served as a trio it looks sparse and that is why if a customer orders just one I would serve them with the main course.
And that's what makes you smarter than the average crew!

rb211.
Jimmie76 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not average, am I below or above that is the question.
Jimmie76 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Was on the 32 HKG-LHR flight last week with the new product. Must say I am very impressed with the food offerings!

Perhaps the only letdown was LPGS having run out on ground before takeoff.

I think every pax going for a protein entree were offered all of the sides proactively (at least I did - I actually didn't want to have them as I was quite full!) in a bowl.

I love how the ice cream was plated - on CX F we get the same ice cream in the same container as economy.

I tried the headphones for an hour or so only but I found the sound quality to be excellent. The PJs sadly were scratchy and uncomfortable, both my partner and I left it on the plane.

Have been doing CX F almost every other week this year, but this was a refreshing experience. You guys also have far better crew and lounge food (CCR) than we do here in HKG, must say I can really feel how investments have been coming through for BA, a big contrast with our continuous cost cutting and stinginess!

Old May 2, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Was on the 32 HKG-LHR flight last week with the new product. Must say I am very impressed with the food offerings!
I love how the ice cream was plated - on CX F we get the same ice cream in the same container as economy.
Have been doing CX F almost every other week this year, but this was a refreshing experience. You guys also have far better crew and lounge food (CCR) than we do here in HKG, must say I can really feel how investments have been coming through for BA, a big contrast with our continuous cost cutting and stinginess!
Interesting to hear this from someone who travels regularly with another airline often quoted as an example of one untainted by cost cutting along the lines of BA.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm still waiting to see if anyone has experienced the improved service from LGW - has it definitely been implemented there?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes it has.
Jimmie76 and cosmo74 like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
BA31 to HKG, full cabin on the A380. Boarding started about 30mins late due to aircraft cleaning. Once I got to my seat (1K) the used plastic bags from previous passenger was still on the seat. CC member quickly removed them and wiped some of the breadcrumbs of the seat without me asking which was a nice gesture but an alarming start. The amenity bag and sleeper suite were brought quite swiftly, however for the predeparture drink, warm towel (which was delivered dirty), slippers and headphones I had to push the call button and got them about 5mins before pushback or about 30mins after boarding. For the entire time we were on the ground cabin crew were running around like headless chickens. The predeparture drink was taken away after about 5mins of delivering it so needless to say there was some LPGS wasted. Before takeoff I had one of those ”this is not going to be a good flight” feelings.

After getting the starters out cabin crew clearly relaxed more and stopped much of the running around and everything started to feel right again. The dinner service took quite a while and even though I skipped desserts/cheeses I finished 2h 50min after takeoff. I feel like the food quality was quite good and really liked the tableware. Still if this would have been a 9PMish departure I would have probably preferred to dine at the CCR but for a 6:40 sched and 7ish actual I didn’t mind at all.

I tested the new Brewdog products launched on the date and quite liked the Air Craft (served in a big glass bottle). The Speedbird 100 was a standard Brewdog brew much like Punk IPA. I really hope Air Craft will stay on board for a good while (and make it to the CCRs) as it would reduce my LPGS consumption greatly.

As for the rest of the new stuff, I really liked the pillow but didn’t notice much change in the comforter and padding. All in all they continued to enable very decent quality of sleep so no complaints there. And as others have said the material of the male amenity kit might be a miss. Same goes for the headphone design. Then again the Mrs. liked hers though was baffled by the lack of a brush or a comb in the ladies version.

As has been discussed here earlier the BA F experience varies a lot and apparently even during the flight. If there was one enhancement to still be made is the predictability in the quality of service received. In any case after two rather sad F legs in the this year the latter part of this flight restored enough of my faith to keep on GUFing.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mikebg
Interesting to hear this from someone who travels regularly with another airline often quoted as an example of one untainted by cost cutting along the lines of BA.
Indeed, just goes to show that many of those constantly bemoaning BA, or at least always banging on about cost cutting (esp in contrast to the evidence of investments being made now), are rarely flying or experiencing the other shades of green
Padmeister and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mikebg
I don't think anyone familiar with CX would suggest CX has been untainted by cost cutting, just go over to the CX forum to read all the complaints over the last few years! They have slashed at both the onboard product and the frequent flyer programme to try to return the airline to profit.

I have maintained for a while that CX F food is poor and BA food in F is in many ways better than CX. The hard product and staffing ratio is what makes CX F preferable to me.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:54 am

Was on BA31 a few days ago. It was a full cabin, so all the CC worked very hard.

Would say the soft product was really good, we have a great team of CC. The ratio of CC to passenger was much higher on BA than CX, but I didn't feel the different on service level to any full house CX.

Am also very much like the new table design, esp the full size tea pot.

As always follow destination clock the moment step into cabin, I requested to have my bed made soon after the seat belt sign off. Have a good 6-7 hours sleep. Then woke up for breakfast follow by lunch before touch down. (I know it was completely different to they standard meal service). Menu was good as well.

Some points :

Dover : it will be nicer if it is a bit bigger

PJ's. : medium was really big (man), end up need to ask for small. CX 's is still the best.

Day blanket: not sure if it was completely new without washing, a lot of material stoke to the PJ.

Amenity kit : men kit design was a bit girly, contain was good, but where was the razor? It will be even better if it has a face mist.

Pillow: nice
Old May 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Questions on the BA First experience: As a OneWorld Emerald/AA CK, I used to be able to select row 1 on the 747. Now it seems to be "blocked", but available. I, and Mrs RM are on paid A class First fares, and have four long haul legs on 744s.

Question 1: Is this correct? No more row 1 selection?
Question 2: I called BA, and was told I could select row 1, but that Mrs RM could not and would have to sit "behind me". Hmmm. I pointed out we are traveling on paid fares, same record. "We'll call you back" said nice young man from Bangalore. No call back.

Thoughts please. Apologies that this is not reviewing the new BA First, but I imagine this is a fairly expert group at BA First experience.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It’s always been the case that someone who is not a BA GCH or OWE couldn’t select row 1 until it gets opened up 2-3 days before the flight - if still available. Nothing has changed there and what you were told was correct.

it seems you can select row 1 for yourself when you called?
Old May 5, 2019, 10:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rowingman
Questions on the BA First experience: As a OneWorld Emerald/AA CK, I used to be able to select row 1 on the 747. Now it seems to be "blocked", but available. I, and Mrs RM are on paid A class First fares, and have four long haul legs on 744s.

Question 1: Is this correct? No more row 1 selection?
Question 2: I called BA, and was told I could select row 1, but that Mrs RM could not and would have to sit "behind me". Hmmm. I pointed out we are traveling on paid fares, same record. "We'll call you back" said nice young man from Bangalore. No call back.

Thoughts please. Apologies that this is not reviewing the new BA First, but I imagine this is a fairly expert group at BA First experience.
Are you both Emerald? If not, then the agent was correct. Even if you are, your wife would not be able to get row 1. It's been like that for at least 10 years.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rowingman
. Hmmm. I pointed out we are traveling on paid fares, same record. "We'll call you back" said nice young man from Bangalore. No call back.
You don't have to call New Delhi if travelling First (and I'm not sure where Bangalore comes into it). Just call YouFirst instead, which is a Manchester number (so starting 44 161) which should be in your booking in Manage My Booking or showing via BA.com. It switches to India at 22:00 hrs British Summer Time.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Thank you all for the advice. Alas, Mrs RM is a lowly Ruby. A Diamond always to my eyes, but a lowly Ruby to OneWorld. Sincere appreciation for the generosity of your responses. Thank you.

Perhaps we must suffer the indignities of Row N + 1, N to be greater than 0. but we will survive.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.