Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:30 am

I haven't seen the new pen as I don't fly w/ them again until December, but I agree the old style pen was really nice for an amenity kit. I have several of them too.

New one looks pretty silly.

Originally Posted by golfmad
That's a good point. I hadn't noticed. What's the purpose of the rubber thing given that it's still a twist mechanism? We should start a campaign to bring back the old pen for the customs forms we no longer have to complete

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
I was served this in F SIN - LHR

Even the cabin crew was embarrassed.

Edit: this was the side dish.

Last edited by Jase76; May 1, 2019 at 12:13 pm Reason: Clarified it was a side dish.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why was that?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Jase76
You Sir have beaten my plain Rice Cakes VLML in Club World as the most rubbish meal
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
You Sir have beaten my plain Rice Cakes VLML in Club World as the most rubbish meal
I do not think that's the entire meal!

rb211.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you maybe correct, if the OP only chose one of the three sides it should be served on the main course.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by Jase76
no! Surely not?
Only on BA...

I was once served a box of raisins as my main meal on a long-haul J flight. Also only on BA.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
In my recent experience, I would say the place setting is a marked improvement and totally welcome. Plates and glasses a great change.

The food did seem improved, both aesthetically and by taste. Not the best out there, but still a lot better. I liked the bonus Magnums brought around for sure

Drinks fairly similar? I think maybe one more half decent red choice. Again not talking Ł100+ wines, but 2 red and one white in the Ł30-50 range I reckon (as a proxy for quality).

The PJs frankly seem the same, though with a touch more satin flair. Nothing to talk about really.

Pillow much better, not sure on the duvet and mattress TBH, kind of the same. I do like the general blanket and neck pillow.

The amenity kit was OK. The most "impressive" although annoying to take with, was the harder shell blue one from a few years ago IMO. The velvet case is a bit odd. I do like the better toothbrush (could be Medium instead of Soft) and I don't get the pen change either, but I suppose the rubber thing is there for some purpose. Do they need all those plastic wrappers in the case which itself is sealed?

Improvements are always welcome, and this has certainly picked it up. But there are always more to be made too!

Now if only they wouldn't sort the cutlery in the middle of an overnight flight......... and has others have noted, kept the chatter down throughout the flight. I do NOT recommend 1st row in F on 777/787.

Last edited by YClass; Apr 30, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GfL
Just done my first flight in improved First. LHR-SFO A380.

Back on Thursday night with the same crew. They were very good, the CSD was particularly chatty and friendly.

Did not like the new washbag. I frequently fly to the US or Australia for just a few days. The deodorant and razor in the bag meant I didn't have to pack toiletries, take them out of my carry on for security etc. I have no need for various face creams. The deodorant was actually a pain to use but it did the job. Someone said that other airlines don't have them, but Qantas has a full sized stick deodorant and Emirates a spray deodorant in First. At least on my most recent flights in the last 6 months. BA had just got the bag perfect in having everything you needed to look after yourself on a trip - Toothbrush, Razor, Deodorant, Comb, Lip balm, Pen. For years they didn't have a pen which was a pain when filling in passport forms. Emirates for some reason doesn't have lip balm in the toilet bag or in the weird flip up cubby in front of you, something which is pretty useful on a long flight.

Food was slightly better, although the portions felt smaller. I got a very small steak. In truth though I have sometimes felt meals in First were too large before. The new canopies were nice and the sliders were good also, adding a new hot snack option. The scallop starter was excellent, I don't know if anyone remembers the scallop salad from a few years ago that was fantastic, as well as being enormous. I think people are unfair on BA food wise, sometimes the presentation isn't great and the timings are poor, but in general I actually think their food is tastier than many other airlines. Emirates first food I find quite bland for example. Presentation is certainly being improved on now.

I didn't really get a chance to try the bedding as it was a day flight.

The flight was very hot when we got on, APU broken. So I used the towel, which I don't normally do. Was it my imagination or was it much thicker than before?
Old May 1, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by RB211

rb211.
It was with my rice cakes
Old May 1, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy

no! Surely not?
Only on BA...

I was once served a box of raisins as my main meal on a long-haul J flight. Also only on BA.
It’s clearly and litterally a side dish

assuming he/ she had not already gobbled a couple of pieces, the portion does seem a tad tight though!
Old May 1, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

It’s clearly and litterally a side dish

assuming he/ she had not already gobbled a couple of pieces, the portion does seem a tad tight though!
Jase 76 can you please describe the "full meal " ? This will eliminate guesswork !
Old May 1, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why was that?
I should add this was the side dish of broccoli. Seems it was a popular dish and by time they got to 2K there wasn't much left. My dining buddy asked for broccoli and cabbage and had a fuller bowl as they were able to "fluff it up" (crew's words, not mine).
Old May 1, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by RB211

rb211.
Correct, I have edited my post to make it clear this was the side dish.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each of the portions of vegetables are loaded individually and in sets of three sides, the portion of broccoli looks correct but when not served as a trio it looks sparse and that is why if a customer orders just one I would serve them with the main course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.