Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sentosa
Meant to mention this as well, used the new ones for about 5 minutes then resorted to our Bose noise cancelling phones which do a great job !
The new headphones hurt after a movie's worth. Had to take them off.
sentosa likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by david55
The new headphones hurt after a movie's worth. Had to take them off.
Yes I'm a little concerned about this. I have larger than average ears so can understand if this is uncomfortable. Pretty important part of the product to get right imo.
sentosa likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
The main benefit of these largely cosmetic changes is that they seem to have restored some crew’s pride in the product. No small feat at an airline that has cost cutting in its DNA.

Like that there is now a choice of slipper size. Hate the PJs. Escaped from a 1970s sci-fi movie. Nasty things.

The F&B continues to be rubbish, with a few exceptions (the Lauden chocolates are nice, and now they feature as a “dessert” choice on the menu). Popcorn or crisps - those are your snack options. How very premium.

Some heads-ups for NY regulars: Catering on the 178 has long been pants (in my 20 years of experience of this route), and has now become even pants-er. To be avoided. Better fly VS, AA, or UA in J. In case anyone missed it: the CCR at JFK is closed in the mornings and F pax are instead herded into the charmless J dining room (which has the ambience of an M1 service station).

Last edited by NYLON Boy; Apr 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

deleted

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 16, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thought I’d seen the new pyjamas before!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why is he wearing the ladies sleeper suit?
JimEddie, sentosa and Ms.O like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why is he wearing the ladies sleeper suit?
If he wore the mens he wouldn't be able to show off his measly amount of chest hair
John
sentosa likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn
If he wore the mens he wouldn't be able to show off his measly amount of chest hair
John
Objection! The men’s suit reveals its fair share of chest hair too. Why is the head hole so big?
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer

Objection! The men’s suit reveals its fair share of chest hair too. Why is the head hole so big?
Thanks for the information HoneymoonFlyer I won't get to see the new F PJ's until early June so should I be prepared to shave my chest for the sake of decorum as I don't want to offend.
John
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew LHR-JNB last night. Fantastic crew, although made easy by it being only me and my wife in F (789).

The food was good and well presented, and I would echo above comments re crockery, glassware etc. Definitely a step up from our previous F trip. I had the steak, and whilst it was nowhere near the rare I requested (and didn't expect) it was tender and tasty. I would definitely have it again.

Only significant flaw was that they didn't have one of the wines that I requested. Pretty poor for a LHR-originating flight...

Also the seat was unacceptably dirty and worn but I'll post that with photos in a different thread.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime
Flew out last week to Cape Town. First class dining T3 lounge is canteen quality food served on canteen tables
...have previously used Cathay lounge which is a big step up but why should one need to shuffle around at home airport ?

The on board experience really has not changed....service is achingly slow and the wine list is sub par...the step down from previous Laurent P Rose step down to Lanson Rose is a good example of cheap cost cutting. Wine list is totally uninspired. Crew are hit and miss.....either completely outstanding or dreadful. Luck of the draw.

The new bedding and wash bags are long overdue but nothing really approaches competitors......the whole package constrained by dilapidated aircraft with no end in sight ....grin and bear it ?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
SFO return in F last week (on the 380). I found the changes to be an improvment:

- New food offering was better. I mainly had the fish options, and both were good.
- New headphone, as reported, are very uncomfortable to wear after about 1 film. Fine when first put on. A real shame, as the audio quality is a marked improvement. Noise cancelling on par as previous ones, as they are not active noise cancelling.
- New bedding is great, and a bit better than the previous ones (which I already thought was very good)
- The new day blanket/ small pillow is very soft. But the material sheds lint everywhere! Maybe after a few washes, this problem will go away.
- New PJs are fine, doesn't seem designer to me, but I'm not familiar with Temperley "style". I didn't notice a difference is qualify/ comfort
- Amenities kit. I personally dislike the material used to make the mens wash bag but the contents are now more useful.
- On both flights, meal service was very prompt and quick- no complaints from me.
- Didn't try the new cocktails, but wine/ champagne menu looked similar in standard to the past.

Overall, I think this is a welcome improvement from BA. Now if they could only get the Club World upgrades to work. Just got off a KUL flight where the meal service (where all I asked for was the main) took 3 hours from beginning to table cleared.... ugh! I've personally found the club upgrades to result in a net negative experience... much slower meal service, no top up on drinks pro-actively and far less interaction with crew. The complaints others have made. I don't blame the crew, don't think it was a run of bad luck. My observation is BA have pushed the service level beyond what is possible with their crewing levels in the J cabin. Only improvement is the white company bedding.
flygirl68 and Sealink like this.

Last edited by Waran; Apr 19, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sentosa
Mr S ordered Shanghai Noodles, crew member returned 5 minutes later to ask if he was a Vegetarian to which he replied no.
She then asked if he would mind choosing something else as another gentleman was Vegetarian and they only had one Shanghai Noodles .
Welcome to BA F class... That is disgraceful.
Crampedin13A, Sealink and sentosa like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by Bantry
Flew out last week to Cape Town....grin and bear it ?
Just use a different carrier if it is so hard to bear?
By the way.. The pink Lanson tastes great. It's not always the price that matters
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Bantry
....grin and bear it ?
Shouldn't that be gin and bear it?

rb211.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.