New First soft product: your experiences

Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:21 am

I was impressed with all the presentation and service on our LHR to ORD F service last week.... even the ice cream (mine was plated slightly nicer, in a bigger unlipped bowl but I must have over indulged in the LPGS as I managed to cut the top off the photo).

We loved the new service other than the new ladies pyjama tops as they are fitted and so much tighter than usual and only come in S & M (that was all available on our flight both outbound and inbound as crew opened both lots to look for me) and the constantly shedding day blanket.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am glad you enjoyed the service, I am a little shocked on how the dessert is served, I am afraid I am not a fan.
ukflo, shelly67 and Britflyer18 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I am glad you enjoyed the service, I am a little shocked on how the dessert is served, I am afraid I am not a fan.
#caramelbae
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Yeah I'd probably ask for it without caramel. Spoils the ice cream. The raspberries though <3
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I had the same dessert SEA-LHR and it was served totally different. So I assume some of this may be left up to the galley chef.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually there would be a picture to show how it should look but obviously the galley operator used “artistic license”.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Actually there would be a picture to show how it should look but obviously the galley operator used “artistic license”.
Isn't that the soup bowl too? Or is it designed for soup and pud?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Isn't that the soup bowl too? Or is it designed for soup and pud?
A somewhat multi-purpose bowl. I had it used (not the same one ) for starter, soup and pasta bowl (2nd meal) on the same flight, but not pud. I would attach pics, but seem to have a problem uploading them right now.

Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having looked at the Chefs Chat I cannot work out which dessert this is but no dessert is served in the soup bowl.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Same ice cream sundae as in my picture, just served (very) differently I think
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Did our first new First on 0098.
Good points and a few disappointments.
The crew were fantastic.

Only 7 in First and two went straight to sleep and slept until landing.

Loved the new crockery, cutlery glasswear and bedding.
I liked the new pyjamas and I tried very hard to persuade Mr S to ask to swop his amenity bag into a ladies one, (so beautiful , I need lots more!!) but he said no.

I'm a cocktail girl and was very excited to try the Gin Zing, but it didn't zing for me, I felt it tasted quite flat, and was told it was made from Tanquery,Citrus juice and sparkling water, I will stick to G n T.

The Canapes were divine !

Mr S ordered Shanghai Noodles, crew member returned 5 minutes later to ask if he was a Vegetarian to which he replied no.
She then asked if he would mind choosing something else as another gentleman was Vegetarian and they only had one Shanghai Noodles .
He then chose Herb Crusted Turbot and was very impressed with it.
I had Seared Fillet of Beef which wasn't pink, but tender and tasty.
I chose Potato and Celeriac Gratin as side, but it was not cooked through and I couldn't eat it.
Although there were only five eating , it was 1 hour 45 minutes before main courses were served which was a bit disappointing.
The Paul Cluver Pino Noir was delicious, but I have to give a special mention to the Staunton & Killeen Muscat, it was AMAZING.
It looked very dark but even before having a sip, the aroma was tantalising!
We are fond of dessert wines, but agreed that this is the best one we have ever tried. Will try and find a UK stockist.

All in all, we had a great flight with a very attentive crew and a few blips along the way. Looking forward to our next First which is a much longer flight.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
...i'm glad to see my concern about the having ironed out any kinks before we fly isn't something I should worry about.
I flew F back from the US a couple of weeks ago. It was lovely and I enjoyed it but it wasn't for the lack of kinks. At one point I asked the crew member if everything was OK, as they all seemed to look rather stressed out. I thought maybe there was something sinister going on. But no, the answer came back, "we're just trying to get our heads around this new First service".

Amusing things that were not quite yet ironed out included no cutlery (spares from CW were sourced), which in turn led to eating the soup course with a teaspoon (it works), various F crew members forgetting what they'd asked me/were meant to be bringing me/what their names were. Food was a little overdone. Oh, and they kept encouraging me to nick the posh new headphones!

But, to be honest, I rather enjoyed it. It's was, to me, clear that it was part of trying to deliver a better product - and I'm all for that. And for the slight Fawlty Towers-ness of the service, it was still all done with the usual BA politeness and good humour.

The pyjamas are a point which I think will continue to divide opinion. I found them perfectly comfortable, but for full disclosure, my wife had a right good laugh at them when I put them on at home.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

Having looked at the Chefs Chat I cannot work out which dessert this is but no dessert is served in the soup bowl.
This was my husbands.... mine was served in a larger bowl with no rim and looked very different. It was the vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce and raspberries. They had gone to the trouble of serving the ice cream in quenelles and luckily we both like caramel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

I can add another data point to the pink steak. The best I’ve had in the air and a good steak in its own right. I did ask for it to be rare but I don’t think they did anything too special to make it so. Would definitely order again.

Headphones much better than old ones but not a patch on Bose active noise cancelling (unsurprisingly).

Cutlery, stemware etc probably the most notable improvement, much as others have said. Really does make a difference to the feel of the experience.

Pyjamas look nice but come up enormous and sat very low on the neck / shoulders. A little bit revealing! Would definitely suggest getting a size down to normal. Slippers the opposite, they come up small...

Service as good as it should be, though familiarity with some aspects of the new products / menu were not there yet. As CIHY says this is probably down to the lack of specific training.

Overall a really enjoyable experience and good to see BA putting some effort into their premium product.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer

Headphones much better than old ones but not a patch on Bose active noise cancelling (unsurprisingly).
Meant to mention this as well, used the new ones for about 5 minutes then resorted to our Bose noise cancelling phones which do a great job !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.