Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
We just did our First First on Wednesday LHR-BNA. It was... ok. I think I still prefer what we got in QR Business last year. Some notes:

1) This was a 789 service and the First cabin felt absolutely tiny. I liked the amount of seat storage and the private feeling, but had to wonder just how this was going to compare to the new Club seat when it comes into service because that sure as hell looked similar to this. But while I absolutely loved the 789 on QR, this cabin felt claustrophobic and limiting. Also - ... with the bathroom - trying to contort oneself in essentially an economy class cabin to put on the sleep suit was a joke and a half.

2) I felt for the crew - the galley was a disaster during service and you had to pass through there to get to the bathroom. Im talking bags of used bottles on the floor, a trolley full of service items over to the right, and crew handbags about. Sure you could have gone backwards through Club to that bathroom but I dont know, the psychological barrier of The Curtain made it seem unfeasible All the same - our crew lady had a binder of notes open about service and plating standards balanced on a service trolley and was clearly giving it a really solid go but...

3) The service took AGES. I don't think we were through dinner until almost 3 hours into the flight - and this was barely 8 hours flight time. I had pre-ordered the halibut and it was fine but the bowl of mixed veg they place with everything was so Iceland-ish and 70s. I had a bit of a laugh with the FA over the literalness of the mixed green salad starter being, essentially, all mixed greens and that was it. No other vegetables, just a bowl of greens - she had checked about three times that was the case. The dressing was nice though. And I liked the size of the ice cream serving, just enough. They were free with the LPGS and I had a couple cocktails and wine and nothing was too much trouble.

4) As mentioned, the FA was really giving it her all and with a smile and I appreciated it. She got everyone sleep suits when requested and made up beds and brought the afternoon tea service when we were all ready for it. Her CSM and the other FA were lovely as well. I really liked the day pillow, blanket, and the sleep pillow was absolutely the right density for me. I thought the sleeping stuff was nicer than QRs.

5) This aircraft was pretty beat to .... - someone had scribbled on the wall by my seat with a blue pen and you could see the edging on a lot of the bits of the seat and area were worn off. My partner's headphones disintegrated on him the first time he put them on (although he was able to get them reattached).

6) I really like the washbag. Still not a fan of Elemis stuff, but the bag is nice and squishy and actually well-designed. The sleep mask is fab and something I will continue to use in the future.

7) We enjoyed the Terrace at the Concord Room and had excellent service with plenty of champers on pour. Shared a BA Burger which was fine. We then wandered into the Galleries Lounge and it was mayhem - maybe due to the number of flights going out.

We head home next Saturday via Houston in CW on the 747 upper deck - didn't seem worth it to pay for First on that flight. Until we get to that, however, we will have an AA domestic econ from CHS-CLT-IAH to contend with. We took Southwest from BNA to CLT and given the load was like 30% and the flight 45 minutes, that was pretty ok.

As an aside - we went to the Carolina Air Museum on our way from Charlotte to Columbia, SC and it was a great little detour. Saw the Miracle on the Hudson A320 and some other military jets, etc. Its not huge but I'm always up for a good air museum.
cosmo74, jackqu7 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board

When New Club World was rolled out all crew went through a two day training course.

However the new First changes are all through self lead learning. There are a array of videos and reading material on our Intranet but this involves crew reading up on the changes in their own time which some crew are unfortunately very reluctant to do. Some crew have said they’d have preferred to go back into the training centre for a course on the changes but some are happy just reading up on them.
All true but we only had access to these 7 days before the launch which is not enough time for crew to access these baring in mind days off and part time contracts.
As usual BA are as usual letting our customers be the guinea pigs, we will get there but it’s a shame this has happened as the new product is fantastic.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:40 pm

Can I Help You. Thanks for the information. I will be flying F lhr/iad on june 4. I hope things are better by then.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley
We just did our First First on Wednesday LHR-BNA. It was... ok. I think I still prefer what we got in QR Business last year. Some notes:

1) This was a 789 service and the First cabin felt absolutely tiny. I liked the amount of seat storage and the private feeling, but had to wonder just how this was going to compare to the new Club seat when it comes into service because that sure as hell looked similar to this. But while I absolutely loved the 789 on QR, this cabin felt claustrophobic and limiting. Also - ... with the bathroom - trying to contort oneself in essentially an economy class cabin to put on the sleep suit was a joke and a half.

2) I felt for the crew - the galley was a disaster during service and you had to pass through there to get to the bathroom. Im talking bags of used bottles on the floor, a trolley full of service items over to the right, and crew handbags about. Sure you could have gone backwards through Club to that bathroom but I dont know, the psychological barrier of The Curtain made it seem unfeasible All the same - our crew lady had a binder of notes open about service and plating standards balanced on a service trolley and was clearly giving it a really solid go but...

3) The service took AGES. I don't think we were through dinner until almost 3 hours into the flight - and this was barely 8 hours flight time. I had pre-ordered the halibut and it was fine but the bowl of mixed veg they place with everything was so Iceland-ish and 70s. I had a bit of a laugh with the FA over the literalness of the mixed green salad starter being, essentially, all mixed greens and that was it. No other vegetables, just a bowl of greens - she had checked about three times that was the case. The dressing was nice though. And I liked the size of the ice cream serving, just enough. They were free with the LPGS and I had a couple cocktails and wine and nothing was too much trouble.

4) As mentioned, the FA was really giving it her all and with a smile and I appreciated it. She got everyone sleep suits when requested and made up beds and brought the afternoon tea service when we were all ready for it. Her CSM and the other FA were lovely as well. I really liked the day pillow, blanket, and the sleep pillow was absolutely the right density for me. I thought the sleeping stuff was nicer than QRs.

5) This aircraft was pretty beat to .... - someone had scribbled on the wall by my seat with a blue pen and you could see the edging on a lot of the bits of the seat and area were worn off. My partner's headphones disintegrated on him the first time he put them on (although he was able to get them reattached).

6) I really like the washbag. Still not a fan of Elemis stuff, but the bag is nice and squishy and actually well-designed. The sleep mask is fab and something I will continue to use in the future.

7) We enjoyed the Terrace at the Concord Room and had excellent service with plenty of champers on pour. Shared a BA Burger which was fine. We then wandered into the Galleries Lounge and it was mayhem - maybe due to the number of flights going out.

We head home next Saturday via Houston in CW on the 747 upper deck - didn't seem worth it to pay for First on that flight. Until we get to that, however, we will have an AA domestic econ from CHS-CLT-IAH to contend with. We took Southwest from BNA to CLT and given the load was like 30% and the flight 45 minutes, that was pretty ok.

As an aside - we went to the Carolina Air Museum on our way from Charlotte to Columbia, SC and it was a great little detour. Saw the Miracle on the Hudson A320 and some other military jets, etc. Its not huge but I'm always up for a good air museum.
Sounds like you prefer a more open seat/ cabin than a more private seat and more intimate cabin. The new BA CW seat is the same as the QR business 787 seat but will feel much smaller than the BA 789 F seat because it...well is and to you will no doubt seem far more claustrophobic than the Qatar seat, despite being, scale wise, exactly the same

Its funny how people are different, I'm like you in that I like a larger cabin, the BA 17 seat 777 F cabin is easily my favourite, its intimate yet airy.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I hope BA haven't got rid of the Bose headphones yet, as it appears the Meridien version isn't built to last!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Great experience

I arrived this morning at bom on a 12 seat 777..and for me all the little enhancements meant a real first class feeling
​​​​​Of course influenced by an outstanding crew who were all so caring and friendly .. It was the first time everything felt relaxed and yet it was fast.
As you now get the nuts with the champagne before take off you already feel involved..
Quickly after take off the next champagne came along with the canapés .. That means even if the dinner service might start at the usual time the personal feeling is.. Wow that's quick.
Good was outstandingly delicious .. The soup with the perfectly prepared duck egg was my Michelin favorite... The new duvet finally makes u feel like a real bed..
So to me these little things meant a lot.
Will be returning on the 787..lets see. Very excited ..
Great job ba

And p. S. Talking to one CCM he was the only one who had done the new service before and helped the others get introduced . He liked it.. And we didn't feel it at all. Everything was well played.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is a winner, we just need to get everyone up to speed and stowages changed so everything is to hand.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Some amazing posts and highly thankful. Special thanks to @Tobias & @cihY but many other great posts. We have our 1st First in late Aug LHR-HKG and was a little concerned about implementation / teething problems not being sorted by then but it appears that by-and-large the crews have hit the ground running and it's generally going well.

Mrs Clam is distraught at the fact the liberty bags are no more as she's quite the fan of the brand ( begging/ pleading/ charity donation offered phone call to You First made but even they were honest enough to say that it's highly unlikely they'll be able to source one. Maybe i'll have to turn to ebay to appease her?).

Plenty of CW under our belts but no F experience ( BA or anyone else for that matter) so we wont have a comparison to make but i'm glad to see my concern about the having ironed out any kinks before we fly isn't something I should worry about.

Just one thing that confuses me is why they haven't opted to include the BA75 ( hopes he got the number right?!) cocktail on the list. As it's their signature drink in the Concorde room you'd think it would've made the list?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Just one thing that confuses me is why they haven't opted to include the BA75 ( hopes he got the number right?!) cocktail on the list. As it's their signature drink in the Concorde room you'd think it would've made the list?
So close BA175... it is a shame it didn’t make it on to the list, although guessing that’s because there’d be three more bottles required on board (Tanqueray Ten, apricot liqueur, and pink grapefruit juice)
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Lucanesque

So close BA175... it is a shame it didn’t make it on to the list, although guessing that’s because there’d be three more bottles required on board (Tanqueray Ten, apricot liqueur, and pink grapefruit juice)
Only 2 as Tanqueray 10 is already stocked. I like the BA175 but have enjoyed a couple of the Red Snappers which are now available onboard.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Can I help you

All true but we only had access to these 7 days before the launch which is not enough time for crew to access these baring in mind days off and part time contracts.
As usual BA are as usual letting our customers be the guinea pigs, we will get there but it’s a shame this has happened as the new product is fantastic.

Club World step up promised so much, but was a disaster in delivery. Recent experience of the F changes suggest BA has learned nothing.

Food better (new PJs are awful though) - unless you like plunging 70s neck lines and itchy ‘supposed’ cotton (made in China, I noticed).
But It is all SO SLOW. It makes it unusable on overnight flights.
Yet again, it’s obviously been designed by someone who clearly has never worked in a galley and never been frustrated and hungry or wanting to get to sleep after a quick meal.
F used to be better than the frustrating slow Club mess. Now it seems I’ll just stick with AA J. Such a shame that BA gets it wrong again. No doubt like CW it will take 2 years before BA ‘get’ this and rethink.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Only 2 as Tanqueray 10 is already stocked. I like the BA175 but have enjoyed a couple of the Red Snappers which are now available onboard.
Didn’t realise it was already on board, I’ve a LHR-JFK return coming up at the end of the month so I’ll be giving as much a try as possible ^
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFB_london

Club World step up promised so much, but was a disaster in delivery. Recent experience of the F changes suggest BA has learned nothing.

Food better (new PJs are awful though) - unless you like plunging 70s neck lines and itchy ‘supposed’ cotton (made in China, I noticed).
But It is all SO SLOW. It makes it unusable on overnight flights.
Yet again, it’s obviously been designed by someone who clearly has never worked in a galley and never been frustrated and hungry or wanting to get to sleep after a quick meal.
F used to be better than the frustrating slow Club mess. Now it seems I’ll just stick with AA J. Such a shame that BA gets it wrong again. No doubt like CW it will take 2 years before BA ‘get’ this and rethink.
The service is not difficult and I expect us to be up to speed very quickly if we could just find where they stowed everything!

TWCLAM likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by chan36
2 days ago I was flying on the BA 27 to HKG. I think is a nice improvement but no Sensation. Food was very good, the New tableware was very nice. FA where very confused with the Service behause Mandy New items where Wrongly Stored. The Crews have to be Trained much better behause Service tOok much to Long. 90 min After take off they Start with the First Course But all in all Very nice Crew.
What’s with your CAPS lock?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Will100

What’s with your CAPS lock?
Please do remember that not everyone here has English as their first language/mother tongue, and hence may have different ways of expressing themselves. I, for one, believe FT is a stronger community with as many different perspectives being shared as possible, and we should welcome everyone courteously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.