New First soft product: your experiences

Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I might have put 2+2 together, I saw a photograph that definitely had caviar in it, dressed on a BA plate - from what you say it appears the caviar must have been self-catered - what a relief
The smoked salmon canapé on some of the new menus is dressed with cream cheese and a tiny amount of caviar. Very nice it is too, I hope it won't distress you too much when you get to experience it.,,
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:23 am
Suspended

despite the fact that i do enjoy a bit of caviar now and again, to me it is one of those things that if it cost two quid a tin, nobody would want it. it's the fact that it's expensive and thus exclusive that make it desirable.
I've had the caviar service on CX F and LH F and I was not really impressed other than by the fact i was being served caviar at 35,000 feet whilst seated in a very large and comfortable seat. It's the novelty that is the most enjoyable.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Came back from SJC last night and got the new soft product. PJs definitely a step up, and the food was probably marginally better, although I skipped breakfast. I did notice both meal services took a fair while, so maybe things have changed around a bit and the crew are still getting used to things?
One thing really stood out: the cutlery seems to slip off the new plates very easily. My knife dropped (and immediately replaced with a clean one) twice, and a third time whilst clearing away. I heard at least three other bits of cutlery dropped as well during the clearing process. Maybe their shine implies little friction with the bone china.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by estate
Came back from SJC last night and got the new soft product. PJs definitely a step up, and the food was probably marginally better, although I skipped breakfast. I did notice both meal services took a fair while, so maybe things have changed around a bit and the crew are still getting used to things?
One thing really stood out: the cutlery seems to slip off the new plates very easily. My knife dropped (and immediately replaced with a clean one) twice, and a third time whilst clearing away. I heard at least three other bits of cutlery dropped as well during the clearing process. Maybe their shine implies little friction with the bone china.
It is often the shape and polish of the plates' edges which causes this. I like the nice plates we use at home but they have this problem so if you rest a knife on it it always slips off ...
estate likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Overall really appreciated the new bedding and day-blanket, and finally slippers that fit! Still had the old PJs on my flight yesterday, but everything else seemed to have been loaded. Not a fan of the new washbags at all, the black velvet is not really something I'll be looking to repurpose, but pleased to see the return of Elemis contents. Strange that the crews don't seem to have been given any training or heads up, the first mine knew anything had changed was on their outbound when all this new stuff suddenly appeared. Best part probably the new, larger champagne glasses
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not being an F pax, I nevertheless read this Thread with interest. I was slightly surprised by the presentation of the Fizz & Nuts as separate items. My recent J had drink and nuts served on a little tray, which I don't recall seeing before and which I thought was rather nice and neat.

Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Noticed the difference

...mainly because we had a superb crew on the flight. I tend to find that’s what makes it great in First or just ordinary! If anyone from BA reads these - shout out to Steve Islam - he was simply superb.

Wife and I were on the 297 (a380) to ORD on Friday. Crew was enthusiastic about the changes, which certainly put me in the mood to enjoy them too.

Things I noticed,
- cutlery: much nicer to hold/use (and plates did make the food look good)
- PJs: different, but not sure better or worse. Wife had a medium top and said it was far tighter than the old style mediums
- headphones: nicely presented, wife liked them, I’ll always use my own little B&O ones.
- bedding: was day flight so used PJs but didn’t make up the bed so don’t know
- food: didn’t notice much difference to be honest (ie I’ve found BA first this year has ranged from just about ok to really good. This flight was in the top end of that range but I can’t tell whether that was anything to do with the new food or just a good day!)... except that I thought serving separate ‘sides’ was such a simple but great step forward.
- slippers: didn’t get any, didn’t ask for any, don’t normally bother with them
- washbag: wife raved about hers (and I did think hers looked quite funky), mine was nice and definitely preferred to the old guys one (felt like the zip on this one could survive being opened and closed more than a dozen times)
- day blanket was noticeably nice
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
[QUOTE=T8191;30974009]Not being an F pax, I nevertheless read this Thread with interest. I was slightly surprised by the presentation of the Fizz & Nuts as separate items. My recent J had drink and nuts served on a little tray, which I don't recall seeing before and which I thought was rather nice and neat.

Hi,

That is the new Club world service which I though was very good.

Regards

TBS
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Also the nuts and champagne are served pre takeoff where in CW it is after takeoff.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes it would have been self catered.
Yes it was

Crew were more than happy to plate it. Came from fortnums in a lovely cool bag with ice. Will be doing the same to SIN on Tuesday
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Taking our first " new" first today...SEA-LHR. Kind of excited.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC

First new First experience yesterday.

Overall I think it’s mostly an improvement but the crew seemed a little flustered and everything took much longer than normal. I felt they were trying and, as ever, eager to please.

There was quite a lot of fuss about the new turndown service. Each passenger was individually given a long spiel about what this entailed.

Glassware, crockery and cutlery are much welcome Improvement and more in line with the image BA have been trying to portray for F for some time.

On the new PJs the bottoms are unisex but the tops are gender specific. I’m assuming they are cut / fitted for the differing chests. I like the old logo. Handing them out in their plastic wrappers rather than presented on a silver tray wrapped in ribbon is perhaps a downgrade.

I found the new rectangular Meridian headphones to be very uncomfortable. I don’t think I have large ears but they were quite painful after watching a single movie. The sound quality was good but not noticeably better than the old Bose ones.

The menu seems confused. Apart from the use of American English they serve the cheese course in the French order rather than the English. There’s a choice of “sides” but in reality it’s a potatoe and two vegetables so not much of a selection to choose from. I liked having the warmed nuts pre takeoff and the canapés with the post take off drink.

I really appreciated the day blanket and pillow which were soft and needed on a cold day flight.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The PJs tops are indeed different for male and female, not only on the neckline but the cut as the female ones are fitted, they should be offered unwrapped.
There should be no long spiel about the turndown service, this would just be this individuals style and certainly not required.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MadProfessor
... The menu seems confused. Apart from the use of American English they serve the cheese course in the French order rather than the English. There’s a choice of “sides” but in reality it’s a potatoe and two vegetables so not much of a selection to choose from ...
The order in which a passenger dines is entirely to the preference of the passenger, whilst the cheese course is listed above the desserts on the menu there is no reason why you cannot ask for your cheese plate to be served after dessert.

Some dishes are served with specific accompaniments, the other vegetables (which are listed separately further down the menu) I believe are considered a side, and in my now two experiences of the new service the full selection is served rather than a choice - more an all-or-nothing situation. I don't know how the veggies are loaded, so not sure if selecting just one or two of the options is possible without possible contamination from the others.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
A few additional observations from me (some of them are on the new soft product, others on BA F in general):

- I like the new glasses and crockery
- the bedding is great, although - same as in CW - I find the pillow too big
- not a big fan of the black velour (?) washbag; I'm also not a fan of the Elemis toiletries - regardless of the price (that someone mentioned on HFP, I think), I just don't find Elemis to be a luxury brand
- I skipped dinner as I was on a delayed red-eye and only had breakfast - which, as usual, was underwhelming. As a side note, I managed to get filter coffee, which is not listed on the F menu but the crew was happy to make it.
- I like the new slippers. Didn't like the new PJs (I showed the crew the QR J PJ which is similar (I think both are White Co?) but nicer)
- I was on the 787-9 and the reading light was loosely dangling - I think that's a common issue...

Last but not least, I flew to Asia on QR J (Q-suites), came back in BA F. The Q-suites are amazing and would take them over BA F any time.
SW7London and Dicksbits like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.