Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
First of all, thank you very much for great pics and detailed description Tobias-UK!

May I ask you - do you mean that you dined together? I believe another posted mentioned today or yesterday that it was no longer possible to dine together, which would be rather upsetting since this is what we always do. Thank you.
It was well after midnight by the time we pushed back so my wife joined me for a quick nightcap and canapés, so I dined alone. I’d have actually gone straight to sleep had it not been the new service, I only dined for the good of FlyerTalk!

Buddy dining is still possible but the side table will have to be utilised in order to create dining space.
Andriyko, toothy, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’d have actually gone straight to sleep had it not been the new service, I only dined for the good of FlyerTalk!

Thank you for doing that!

Buddy dining is still possible but the side table will have to be utilised in order to create dining space.

I see. With larger plates it only makes sense I guess. Thank you for coming back with a more detailed explanation.
We're off to NYC later in the month for my birthday, and since I booked well before the new service was announced, I was looking forward to dining together. Since you have experienced it, would you say that we should still do it or will it be too much going on the table if two people dine together?
(I am sorry if I am high jacking the thread, but I was thinking that I may not be the only one who's interested in finding out whether dining together still works with no hassle).
EDIwanderer likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Apr 5, 2019 at 1:47 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Nice writeup Tobias-UK. I'm now quite looking forward to my next FIRSTs in Aug and Nov. It's nice to see a proper champagne glass. The old flute was just a little too narrow.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Looks like my old love is back! Looks fab :-)
jetsetter1k likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Buddy dining is still possible, we have changed how we lay the tables up slightly.
Crazy4Birds, Andriyko and JamieG like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

No problem at all @Andriyko, that’s why we’re here!

We will be flying back to LAX in a couple of weeks with my 22 year old son in tow, we will almost certainly be buddy dining. Whilst the dinner plates are larger than the previous ones, I don’t foresee any difficulty in placing two of them on the table. You will certainly need to have the condiment set placed on the side table, and perhaps the bread plates, but I see no reason why you couldn’t buddy dine.

I’m trying to visualise the size of the table on the B747/B777s, and I can’t picture it being significantly shorter than the A380’s, if at all.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Flew the new first on 747 from LHR a couple days ago. I ordered a special meal and the crew couldn’t find it. It was loaded but they all were very slow and it seemed overwhelmed with it all. They said they had no new training and kept apologising. Was almost 3 hours into the flight before deserts came.

For us, flying is about getting from A to B in as much comfort as possible so none of that stuff really bothers us.

Ordering a vegan meal and being given real butter, milk in tea and things like that were disappointing but I had a comfortable flight and slept very well and was very refreshed on arrival.

The new elemis products are nicer. Headphones much better! The teapot and new glasses are nice and the crew were able to have a laugh and relax with us when they were clearly stressed.

Flying back from ATL in First next week maybe it’ll be different.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

I am having my first ever flight in BA F in the Easter to PHL as a part of a TP run from GOT to MIA. I paid 1000£ for the 8 flights in C and upgraded the flight to PHL to F with Avios. I am really looking forward to this flight, have secured 1A on the 747 I also see all the great pictures of the food and amenities.

Just a question. Why don’t BA have a Kaviar service in F? I have flown a few times to Asia in F with Star Alliance and they all serve Kaviar.

Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
I am having my first ever flight in BA F in the Easter to PHL as a part of a TP run from GOT to MIA. I paid 1000£ for the 8 flights in C and upgraded the flight to PHL to F with Avios. I am really looking forward to this flight, have secured 1A on the 747 I also see all the great pictures of the food and amenities.

Just a question. Why don’t BA have a Kaviar service in F? I have flown a few times to Asia in F with Star Alliance and they all serve Kaviar.

Because I don’t like it!

Andriyko likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:33 pm

Because I don’t like it!

Hahaha Is it possible not to like Kaviar??? I must admit, I did not like it in the start also, but after a few flights in F I have got addicted... Same goes for Dom and Krug also
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:41 pm

Hahaha Is it possible not to like Kaviar??? I must admit, I did not like it in the start also, but after a few flights in F I have got addicted... Same goes for Dom and Krug also
In all seriousness, I really do not like the stuff. My wife loves it and would eat a bucket full given the chance. I also do not care for Dom so rather glad that also doesn’t make any appearances on BA. I believe a caviar service is (or at least has been) offered on Mosco flights and you will find sprinkles of it on some appetisers and canapés but other than that I suspect the reason it is not offered systemwide is because of cost.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Several of the more Western oriented airlines stopped having a full caviar service following the aviation issues and aggressive cost cutting in the years following "9/11." It is a shame, as I like some fish eggs!

rb211.
TravelManBiz and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lucanesque

The food looks so much better than I’d normally expect! Not sure whether that’s the plates or the food or both! Have you tried old vs new service? Just wondered if it tasted as good as it looked?
yes, this is about the fifth or sixth flight in BA F. All of them were BA 84/85 (YVR LHR)

I would say that the food may have been slightly better than in the past but not leaps and bounds. the presentation was certainly an improvement.

the crew were lackluster. they weren't bad. they weren't great. they did their job. we've had some great crew and some not so great. so this time was average.

the bedding was also slightly better, the pajamas and amenity kit slightly better as well.

now the thing that was really bad about this flight was the passengers. there was a couple with two teenage kids that felt that the cabin was their private lounge. the F cabin in the 747 is not spacious and it is very annoying to have people milling about the space between rows 2 and 3, having loud conversations with other family members, and their low hanging trousers with their underwear hanging out effectively right in your face. extremely inconsiderate to everyone else. there were two other teens in the cabin and their behaviour was impeccable.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
...there were two other teens in the cabin and their behaviour was impeccable.
Indeed - it's not the age, it's the parents!

rb211.
JimEddie, BenSenise and alex67500 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BenSenise
yes, this is about the fifth or sixth flight in BA F. All of them were BA 84/85 (YVR LHR)
now the thing that was really bad about this flight was the passengers. there was a couple with two teenage kids that felt that the cabin was their private lounge. the F cabin in the 747 is not spacious and it is very annoying to have people milling about the space between rows 2 and 3, having loud conversations with other family members, and their low hanging trousers with their underwear hanging out effectively right in your face. extremely inconsiderate to everyone else. there were two other teens in the cabin and their behaviour was impeccable.
Curious...is there anything one could do to create a better environment in a situation like annoying inconsiderate passengers? Could you ask the FA to ask them to not block the aisle or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.