FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New First soft product: your experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1963330-new-first-soft-product-your-experiences.html)

MTJ Bound Mar 31, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30949116)
The main(perhaps the only?) thing I see wrong with the new thing is the menu. The appetiser, and far more seriously, the entree. Please, could BA use British English?

Not many people would fine the starter and the main courses confusing, but the entree can be taken two different ways, for a start, but really, could you please look after British English better, British Airways?

Given the pending collapse of the UK and it’s economy, maybe BA is just future proofing for needing to rely on fewer Brits in its premium cabins.

Oaxaca Mar 31, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits (Post 30949325)
I'm not sure what's really changed here compared to the F flight I took last week: Slightly different PJs, a few cocktails and new champagne glass. Scratching my head but maybe I'm missing something here.

Also new menus, new headphones, new amenity kit, new bedding. I think at least the dining was being trialled on some routes (SJC?, others?), perhaps you were on one of those?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ch-2019-a.html

firstlight Mar 31, 2019 11:41 am

On F on a 380 in 4 weeks, seriously underwhelmed by the menu. Will take the @filthymonkey guide to cooking a steak and see if they can do a good medium fillet

anniegray Mar 31, 2019 12:09 pm

I'll need a feed before I board, but nothing new there.
Serves me right for being so fussy

flatlander Mar 31, 2019 12:20 pm

The cocktails look like a nice innovation. They appear to be made with the usual bar ingredients available, I think no new ones have been added (perhaps more lemons will be loaded, several of them require lemon and previously that's only been used as an occasional tea garnish or "ice and a slice" drinks). So if I know a cocktail not on the list but where the ingredients are loaded, I could ask the crew to make it? Time to use the inflight wifi to fire up the Webtender!

The starter selection caught my eye; that looks like a nice set of smaller plates if one doesn't want the full meal.

The main courses don't look very innovative in the recipes (rather like AA food, in fact). How was the quality of your main course?

TheFlyingCyclist Mar 31, 2019 12:32 pm

Espresso martini (latte)? Nespresso capsule, baileys, vodka, ice. It’s all there... do they have Kahlua? Don’t think so?

Will100 Mar 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by SaturdayKid (Post 30948612)
“Please kindly consider not using phrases like “a tad camp” in a negative context” seriously? I was commentsting in the context of the wider audience. Apologies, I will no longer post anything to this board in case I offend your delicate sensbilities. Seeking a “no platform’ approach hurts minorities. One of my fondest memories is being at the Music Machine at a Tom Robinson gig in Camden in ‘79, 2,000 of us rejoycing in the chorus of “Sing if your Glad to be Gay” 90% of us were not but we had 100% loyalty with people who chose to define their own sexuality.

Homophobia is not welcome here, you used it in a negative way.

flatlander Mar 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Also, has the amenity kit lost the small deodorant stick in this update, or did it disappear previously?

AnttiV Mar 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30949879)
Also, has the amenity kit lost the small deodorant stick in this update, or did it disappear previously?

The stick was in the old kit last night. Cannot say I'll miss it as I once actually tried to apply it and it was like trying to paint my armpit with a slippery lipstick.

camdentown Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm

I never understood the inclusion of the deodorant stick. No-one uses then these days. Roll-on or spray. I used to like when they included a sample size of fragrance (this was in elizabethan times!) - why not bring that back?

david55 Mar 31, 2019 2:39 pm

I keep looking at the word "appetisers" and wondering how they could have misspelled it. ( from an American point of view)

flatlander Mar 31, 2019 2:43 pm

You don't want to encourage people to use sprays in aircraft; they're rather likely to set off the smoke detectors in the lavatory.

I can't provide statistics on stick vs rollon deodorant usage rates, but I do note that most higher fashion fragrance deodorants are stick (Boss, Penhaligon, etc). Roll-on is also a liquid for security purposes, while stick is not.

These factors would encourage a fashion item in an aircraft to be a stick deodorant and not another type.

Tobias-UK Mar 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Will100 (Post 30949851)

Homophobia is not welcome here, you used it in a negative way.

Perhaps we should heed the wise words of CWS and not be sidetracked by meta-discussion on a completely unrelated subject? The OP is providing a firsthand review of a brand new service, and one that will be of great interest to many.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30948664)
I wouldn't worry, it was a very politely worded request, which you are free to ignore or to ponder over, I didn't even register your comment, let alone take offence at it. Some people perhaps think differently, so you may or may not wish to take it into account in the future.

But let us not get too diverted by this, I think you have the "scoop" on the new product, for which many congratulations, and I'm sure we best focus on the new product and reactions to it.

[CWS in de-escalation mode....]

camdentown Mar 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30950011)
You don't want to encourage people to use sprays in aircraft; they're rather likely to set off the smoke detectors in the lavatory.

I can't provide statistics on stick vs rollon deodorant usage rates, but I do note that most higher fashion fragrance deodorants are stick (Boss, Penhaligon, etc). Roll-on is also a liquid for security purposes, while stick is not.

These factors would encourage a fashion item in an aircraft to be a stick deodorant and not another type.

Agree with that - my suggestion was rather than no-one will use the stick, or indeed need a deodorant at all in First.
The high fashion brands stick is simply to complete the range.
However the stick in the BA kit can in no way be described as fashion in any way shape or form.
Most of the sampler frangrances are a small vial with a dipper, rather than a spray and might be a welcome return to the amenity kit.

LTN Phobia Mar 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 30949426)

Also new menus, new headphones, new amenity kit, new bedding.

It appears that a tray for the hot towel appears to have been introduced, too, based on the photos?