Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Got a bump from CW to F on the BA15 on Tuesday and wasn't hugely impressed... I had the pork belly and it wasn't great, small portion and pretty plain. Tomato soup good but that's always been the case. I didn't get the PJs but liked the amenity kit (which did have a deodorant in it, has that been added back in?). Day flight so didn't try the bedding.
I thought BA15 was basically 2 overnights with an afternoon layover in SIN?
Good news about the deodorant though, I know a lot of people here will be happy with that, myself included.

Biggest let down was the headphones though... they stank of stale cigarettes!! Exactly the same smell you get if you ever get stuck in a smoking room in a hotel... is this normal? They also made my ears very hot.
I'm a smoker myself, but it's an outdoor sport as much as possible. If I get a hotel room that smells of cold tobacco, I don't even unpack, it's straight back to reception to get another room. Did you speak to CC about it? I'm sure they would have had a spare for you to use.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Biggest let down was the headphones though... they stank of stale cigarettes!! Exactly the same smell you get if you ever get stuck in a smoking room in a hotel... is this normal? They also made my ears very hot.
I always use my own headphones but when I was talking to an FA on my flight from JFK the other day about the fact I had heard the ones now provided in F are very uncomfortable after a short time she said that they are still going missing at a rapid rate. She also said that BA are trying to make the crew responsible for any losses. Maybe CIHY can shed some light on that?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by johnaalex
She also said that BA are trying to make the crew responsible for any losses. Maybe CIHY can shed some light on that?
Not possible, specially not with WW fleet crew (as on JFK route), it'll be a union issue, it's not in their job description to stop people stealing stuff.
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by W213Sal
Not possible, specially not with WW fleet crew (as on JFK route), it'll be a union issue, it's not in their job description to stop people stealing stuff.
AA seem to manage with their Bose headsets - hand them out on demand and collect them up at the end of the flight. Hardly a difficult problem to resolve.

cosmo74 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LBP2
AA seem to manage with their Bose headsets - hand them out on demand and collect them up at the end of the flight. Hardly a difficult problem to resolve.
That's probably the worst thing about flying with American, their crew must get penalised in some way if they go missing as it's quite a drama getting them all back, usually an hour or so before the end of the flight, and they'll quite happily wake you to get them if necessary. I think we had 5 or 6 announcements on one flight as they were missing a couple of pairs and there was frantic searching of the cabin.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:29 am

I’m not suggesting the crew should be responsible for losses of stuff that’s just left lying around in the cabin.
But if you are going to freely distribute relatively high value stuff that has a loss rate high enough to be causing concern then there’s a simple solution.
It’s no different from pilfering in general - if it’s not bolted down or otherwise controlled assume it’ll disappear...
Old May 9, 2019, 6:05 am

We have to collect the headphones in at the end of the flight, once pax have disembarked and record the number. They then have to be security sealed in a bag. This is something we never did previously. If we collected and recorded fewer than 14 then it clearly isn't our fault. However, if we make no attempt to collect any at all and leave them on the seats in the cabin then I can imagine getting a fairly heavily worded email from a manager somewhere.
happeemonkee likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Just flown in F from LHR to KL. Impressed overall with new product provided, but expected the headphones to be noise-cancelling so as to provide better quality listening for IFE. Sadly they weren’t- a disappointment to say least!
Old May 9, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBP2

That's interesting, I actually don't know and I won't speculate further but I'll ask this question here -

Any input from BA union when there is soft or hard product changes? like new F or new CW suite? I assume BA need their buy in?
Old May 9, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by alex67500
Good news about the deodorant though, I know a lot of people here will be happy with that, myself included.

I'm a smoker myself, but it's an outdoor sport as much as possible. If I get a hotel room that smells of cold tobacco, I don't even unpack, it's straight back to reception to get another room. Did you speak to CC about it? I'm sure they would have had a spare for you to use.
After years of NO SMOKING environment, I suppose we get very sensitive to smoke smells, hence I can smell it on your clothes even if you smoked outdoors 3 hours ago.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MFCC
We have to collect the headphones in at the end of the flight, once pax have disembarked and record the number. They then have to be security sealed in a bag. This is something we never did previously. If we collected and recorded fewer than 14 then it clearly isn't our fault. However, if we make no attempt to collect any at all and leave them on the seats in the cabin then I can imagine getting a fairly heavily worded email from a manager somewhere.
Thanks for the info MFCC. Has there been any feedback to BA about passengers complaining about the design of the headphones? Seen quite a few complaints on here about them being uncomfortable.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
BA 198 today, similar to my previous experience of the new.

Bedding was great
New PJs still so-so for me
Used my own headphones this time, I don't like the new ones.
Wifi not working throughout
Catering ex-BOM was good but the meal service took 3 hours to complete. A couple seated in the centre started dining just as I finished, I felt for the crew!
Old May 9, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500

Apologies, a misttype I was on the BA16 SYD - SIN and not the BA15. You are correct about the timing of the BA15 but the BA16 is an afternoon from SYD to SIN and then an overnight from SIN - LHR.

I didn't raise it with cabin crew because it was one of those times that I was doubting myself and not sure if I was smelling cleaning fluid or something else. Like many of these things you think about it afterwards and I'm increasingly certain it wasn't right.

I would usually agree with you on the hotel room but there have been a couple of occasions where there was no alternative (messed up bookings so only smoking rooms available) or on one occasion when I was just too knackered to have the fight that night so I'm familiar with the smell of tobacco overlaid by things to try and cover it up.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:54 pm

If they're so uncomfortable, why are people stealing them? Just curious.

I get to try them out for myself in a couple of weeks when I fly my first new soft First! But I'll still have my QC20s with me - I haven't found any headset that is anywhere near as comfortable as the QC20s. A contributing factor may be that I (sometimes) wear glasses which seem to give both on-ear and over-ear varieties a somewhat short half-life!

rb211.
LBP2 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was on BA99 To YYZ on Wednesday:
- food was much better. I had the crab raviolli to start, then the steak (CC said it was prepared medium but ended up closer to well done), and the chocolate brownie (I think?). All was delicious
- bedding was very comfy
- tried the headphones but felt my Bose were better so reverted
- the men's PJs are just odd. Unusually for me I left them on board
- amenity kit I really like. Something a bit different and better sized contents

Overall a good step forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.