Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I tried this last week and found almost no difference to the old product except the crockery.

Catering was from an outstation but didn’t seem any better, worse or different than usual.

I haven’t yet tried the PJs or amenity kit but they change from time to time anyhow.

The service was from a 787 9 and the crew seemed somewhat lost on where anything was in the galley which probably didn’t improve the service speed.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; May 5, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: Typo
Old May 6, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Myself and Mrs flew in F to Denver before the Easter bank holiday weekend. 2-4-1 redemption.
Here's a few notes from this trip.
Managed to call up YouFirst and get seats 1A 1K. Loved the seat and nearly forward view.
A couple of people tried the wardrobe doors during the flight assuming it was the loo.
I noted a few things of concern.
No water bottle in seat.
Flight departed at 14:40, at 15:10 I asked for food to be served as soon as poss.
At 16:40 I went to the galley and asked if there was a delay, was told I had to wait as they could only serve one passenger's food at a time.
The CSD was not a happy chap when I asked about the delay - crushing a coke can then throwing it with force into the bin whilst answering me. I think one oven was out of order.
Served starter at 16:50 and main at 17:05, my other half who ordered at the same time was served at 17:30.
Service was completed at 17:55.

One red wine wasn't available.
Loved the PJ's (have kept them for reuse) table setting, glassware, crockery and the mattress topper was super comfy.
Apart from those first world problems and the touchy CSD we had a great time but both agreed BA F product not as good as the Q suite on Qatar.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:45 am
R2

I was on BA62 (SEZ-LHR) yesterday. I haven't flown BA in any cabin for ages and the experience was very pleasant in an F cabin with 4 pax. Seat, service and food were good. With the exception of LPGS, the wines were a let down and I would have expected better in F.

What I did find very odd is that the main meal was presented as 'Dinner' on a flight departing at 9:15am. The second service was 'Light Meal'. Not that I missed it but no mention of afternoon tea nor any food items that you would typically get served for afternoon tea. I asked the CSD if this was correct and he insisted everything including the titles were right.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Liking the new food offering. My outbound from Seattle had an amazing medium steak, the best I’ve ever had on an airplane.

On my return I mentioned how good it was flying to Heathrow and asked if they could do the same. The response was catering from Heathrow is different and they’ll try warming it for a shorter time. Unfortunately it was well done. Perhaps it is loaded that way? Curious if others have had medium steaks out of London? Starters and sides were good.

Beef outbound from Heathrow.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
We flew LHR to BOS a couple of days ago and the improvements are great in my opinion.

Food definitely better with nice additional bits and pieces. Exclusive Brewdog pale ale for First only, very nice crew, bedding cosy.

BA First as it should be, before we knew it it was seats for landing.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Commented on my trip out to SFO last week on A380. Now my trip back 2 days later with the same crew.

I knew that the lounge in SFO was closed. There were a group of 5 of us all inFirst, but I was the only GGL or G. I was told that I could use the Cathay lounge but that the others could not. They told us that Cathay had a list of people and only I was on it.

I went to the China Airlines lounge with everyone else. The ambience there is awful. I checked out Cathay which was much more pleasant. The Cathay noodle bar I have heard about wasn't open until 1845, with a 1935 flight I just went back to the China lounge. Two of us stayed there, I was comfortable enough even if the furniture looked like it was from the 70s. Three of our party actually left to sit at the gate as they really didn't like it.

As the flight approached the lounge did become overcrowded. But then someone from special services came to ask if I wanted to pre board at 1840 which I gladly accepted. Special services have said hello at SFO before but first time I have ever been offered this. I don't know if it is part of the new service or due to the lounge situation. I think the special services person said that the Cathay lounge was limiting BA to 10 people a day.

Had an odd experience after pre boarding. Two of us preboarded, but the person in charge of handing out pjs and amenity bags just ignored me very obviously standing there waiting and insisted on handing them out in seat order irrespective of when people got on the flight. IT would seem obvious to do preboarders first, I was the third last person offered having been first on. Of course I could have asked, but I just left it. There were no male washbags, only female.

Once again I enjoyed the new nuts with the pre flight drink and the canapés.

The main was just as tasty as on the way out and larger, the dauphinoise potatoes were particularly nice. I had a clear corn soup starter, the soup on BA is normally excellent and one of my favourite parts of going in First, this was poor, watery and so spicy it caught in my throat.

There was a serious timing issue with the dinner. I do not know if it is due to the new system but the food took forever to come out. Starters were not served until more than 2.5 hours into the flight. I had watched an entire movie and TV show and was onto the next show before it was ready. Dinner wasn't over for me until 3.5 hours in and for slower eaters 4 hours. This really eats into sleeping time. I have some colleagues who like to try and sleep straight away and they would have been really annoyed by people eating for this long and the lights staying on.

There was no hot snack option as there had been on the way out which was disappointing, maybe this is due to it being an overnight.

One story worth mentioning is that my colleagues came out on a different flight to me. One woman was embarrassed by the cabin crew who told her she had taken too many of the Loudon chocolates when offered them. I don't know if they only have one box, but she was a little upset.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Somebody is not too pleased...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/05/06/...pagne-catered/

In summary :-

- CCR Dining Room closed at 20:30.
- Only 2 bottles of LPGS available on the flight from PVG-LHR.

Is the CCR Dining Room closure normal, or just a one off?
m3red and skywardhunter like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

LHR-CPT [747] and JNB-LJR [380] experience

Hi,

Just got off recently on both of these flight - my first time with the new First. Overall service was much much better compared to my last First experience before the new service rollout.

LHR-CPT:
Positives
- during boarding was greeted by name by the CSM and was brought to my seat
- the CSM was very friendly did seem to genuinely like to do what he was doing. Small touches observed, getting down to customer seated level when doing the welcoming greeting, pausing the enterntainment system before starting the chat.
- I can't remember how it came about, but somehow, it came to my last experience which was bad, and he assured me that the crew on this flight will be good and upon deboarding at the door, he did ask me how the flight was [which was good, but not superb]
- service items does go along with being chique and elegant
- food quality was good and very tasty - a vast improvement to previous 'old' First. Very well plated - for me visual attraction is as important as taste experience - which did for me.
- crew this time in general seems much better

Negatives:
- even for an 10'ish departure, service took like forever - even after the 2 hour mark after TO [around 10.30pm], service started around 11pm and lasted pass the 1am mark without dessert being served. I was so tired that I just gave up on dessert and when my main was being cleared, requested for my bed to be made while I went to prepare.
- again only hot towel provided during departure but none after waking up
- cabin was too warm
- again the famous consistent in being inconsistent service offered - my travelmate on the other aisle did get automatically the hot towel
- can't understand why even with 6 pax to serve, FA's are not encouraged to address pax by name - I don't think this is that difficult.

JNB-LHR:
Positives:
- food quality and presentation was on par as previous observation
- FA serving my side was ok [although not as good as my CPT-LHR FA/crew]
- service speed was slightly better - not sure if it was because the crew also wanted to finish the service fast or they did take into account the flight time

Negatives:
- one toilet was not working - which no apologies nor even informed by any crew. This was quite terrible as waiting times were long. I did sneak a few times up to use the CW toilets - which are much superior compared to those tiny one on the lower deck.
- during boarding, no one was brought to their seat - even the CSM at the door did not address any pax by name
- CSM was rather 'bleh' - yes she did do her greetings - but it seemed so forced and insincere. She basically just stood there given that short welcome and was gone within a min. Did not see her at all after that.
- ran out of LPSG after PBD, and later was not even told about it until I ordered another glass which tasted funny and I asked - was only told than it was out.
- was not asked if I wanted to be woken for breakfast by the FA
- even in seat 3A, the noise from the galley behind during mid flight was crazy - not sure what the FA was doing, but was woken by both the warm cabin and the clattering of plates and spoons. After not being able to fall back asleep after an hour due to both combined factors, I had nearly wanted to go back there to see the FA was doing. Decided to just use my ear plugs [don't normally like using them] - which luckily did help and managed to sleep for the rest of the flight.
- not sure to put it as negative, but very strangely on the menu they had an option as part of the dessert - 'Chocolates' - my travelmate opted for this and it was basically just praline chocolates - was offered to take as many as you want. I do find this to be a very strange option as part of the dessert.

Here are some photos of the meal service on both flights.
LHR-CPT:

Starters

Breakfast

Pre-departure

Canapes

Breakfast

Mains

JNB-LHR:

Mains

Dessert

Soup

Canapes

Cheers!
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Will100
We flew LHR to BOS a couple of days ago and the improvements are great in my opinion.

Food definitely better with nice additional bits and pieces. Exclusive Brewdog pale ale for First only, very nice crew, bedding cosy.

BA First as it should be, before we knew it it was seats for landing.
If you haven't tried the lounge since it moved then you will hopefully like the new one at BOS. The lounge is now J&F combined but there is a dining area for F pax only. It's a very pleasant to watch the activity on the apron whilst the lovely Juan serves you food and tops up your drink.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I finally experienced the new soft product last week to and from Delhi. Overall, it was a mixed bag for me - here's a brain dump.

- I loved the new amenity kit, the bag is a practical size and I love the style of the female kit.
- The new toothbrush is WAY too soft.
- I nabbed a male kit on the return leg for Mr JtO and we both agree that the black case is dull and prone to gathering fluff. They should have used the lining of the male bag as the material for the outside - it's much more striking!
- Speaking of fluff, the day blanket sheds at a ridiculous rate - hopefully this will calm down over time.
- The new bedding is very comfy, and I slept like a log on the way out.
- The female pyjamas were not my style as the top is far too low cut when you like to wear them baggy - I took a men's top on the way back and much preferred that style. I was offered slippers both ways without asking.
- Unlike others, I found the headphones significantly more comfortable than before - I saw at least two people ask for new ones after theirs had fallen apart however, so definite quality issues.
- On the outbound, I was offered a hot towel with PDB/nuts, but none later in the flight. Leaving Delhi, a (VERY) cold towel was served with PDB, with a hot towel after my main course.
- Service was slow and disjointed (although quicker than others have experienced, by the sounds of it!), with mains arriving more than 2.5 hours after take off on both the outbound and return. The crew seemed quite flustered and unsure about what they were doing: I was skipped entirely for service in one direction and was brought the wrong dishes twice in the other.
- I went for the main menu vegetarian curry option each way and wasn't offered sides - I requested them on the way out, but found them quite bland so didn't bother on the return.
- The cheese plates were all gone within a few hours of take off on the return leg, I was offered the Club option instead (which in fairness probably wasn't much different). Apparently only a few had been loaded - for a full 11-hour day flight.
- The LPGS also ran out a few hours into the return flight: the CC said that a singleadditional bottle is loaded for day flights compared with night flights, which seems absolutely crazy to me - although not exactly surprising knowing the level of BA's penny-pinching. The fact that it ran out is even more surprising given that PDB options were only water and orange juice. (I didn't spend much time with the English sparkling wine alternative....)

TL: DR: like the new bedding/PJs/amenity kits, service was slow, things still run out!
Old May 7, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
I have now had 29 hours of the new F product (LHR - SCL and back again). I must say I did like the more comfortable bedding. The full sized champagne flute and proper sized gin glass were also good news! However I saw no evidence of any improvement in the food unfortunately. On the outward flight the beef (pictured) was so overcooked as to be almost inedible. On the way back the cauliflower soup was at best lukewarm (the pieces of cauliflower within in it were still at fridge temperature) and the chicken dish was small and again served not hot. On both flights the crew were very pleasant but they seemed to be struggling (everything took longer than usual, there was significant galley noise as items were hunted for and some requests were forgotten entirely). The power socket for 1E failed to function on the return and I was pleased to see 10,000 Avios has already arrived as service recovery.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I was on the 112 yesterday and I tried the gin zing cocktail. must admit I thought the referrence to "bubbles" in the drink's contents was about champagne a bit like the BA175 but it is sparkling water! I really didn't like it so just had it replaced with a G&T. However, I was very impressed with the veal chop - an excellent, tender, juicy and tasty piece of meat. One the best meals I have ever had on BA or any airline for that matter.

Last edited by johnaalex; May 8, 2019 at 1:29 am
Old May 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Stoemp
I have now had 29 hours of the new F product (LHR - SCL and back again). I must say I did like the more comfortable bedding. The full sized champagne flute and proper sized gin glass were also good news! However I saw no evidence of any improvement in the food unfortunately. On the outward flight the beef (pictured) was so overcooked as to be almost inedible. On the way back the cauliflower soup was at best lukewarm (the pieces of cauliflower within in it were still at fridge temperature) and the chicken dish was small and again served not hot. On both flights the crew were very pleasant but they seemed to be struggling (everything took longer than usual, there was significant galley noise as items were hunted for and some requests were forgotten entirely). The power socket for 1E failed to function on the return and I was pleased to see 10,000 Avios has already arrived as service recovery.
Sounds more like need for more training in mock up galleys....how many hours of training do they get ?
Old May 7, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I was on teh 112 yesterday and I tried the gin zing cocktail. must admit I thought the referrence to "bubbles" in the drink's contents was about champagne a bit like the BA175 but it is sparkling water! I really didn't like it so just had it replaced with a G&T. However, I was very impressed with the veal chop - an excellent, tender, juicy and tasty piece of meat. One the best meals I have ever had on BA or any airline for that matter.
I too thought I’d be adventurous and try the gin zang. I too returned it in favour of a G&T! CC most understanding and encouraging though so no great loss, but it really tasted nothing like I expected. Tasted like a Fruit Shoot.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Got a bump from CW to F on the BA15 on Tuesday and wasn't hugely impressed... I had the pork belly and it wasn't great, small portion and pretty plain. Tomato soup good but that's always been the case. I didn't get the PJs but liked the amenity kit (which did have a deodorant in it, has that been added back in?). Day flight so didn't try the bedding.

Biggest let down was the headphones though... they stank of stale cigarettes!! Exactly the same smell you get if you ever get stuck in a smoking room in a hotel... is this normal? They also made my ears very hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.