New First soft product: your experiences

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
“Please kindly consider not using phrases like “a tad camp” in a negative context” seriously? I was commentsting in the context of the wider audience. Apologies, I will no longer post anything to this board in case I offend your delicate sensbilities. Seeking a “no platform’ approach hurts minorities. One of my fondest memories is being at the Music Machine at a Tom Robinson gig in Camden in ‘79, 2,000 of us rejoycing in the chorus of “Sing if your Glad to be Gay” 90% of us were not but we had 100% loyalty with people who chose to define their own sexuality.

"choose to define their own sexuality"! Hmm. Do you define yours?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by CoweyB
The hot towel did come just as we were landing. It would have been better just after waking up and after getting on the flight.
One note for the next time you fly in F... you can pretty much have a hot towel whenever you want within reason. You can either ask the crew for one when you want one, or in the toilet/restroom they have towels which you can then rinse under hot water (which is often warmer than what gets served as a hot towel in club world!).
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by david55
As I waited another crew member passed through and without a word reached over and moved the forks, which had been placed on the right side, over to the left and moving the knives and spoons over to the right. Quick, simple, wordless. Just a smile from her as I looked up and she walked on......
See now my mother is left handed but eats right handed. I think she tried to teach me everything opposite to her to help me navigate in the less sinister world easier. Problem is I am now right handed but eat left handed. The funny looks I get in decent restaurants when I change my forks to right and knives to left range from mildly piqued interest to looking at me like I’d just killed their first born.
sammyg901, thejohn and Oaxaca like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
I was not going to comment on my recent F experience (PHL- LHR, 777 17 seat F), as I was upgraded at the gate and it felt a bit churlish, but now that I’ve read the thread, I see commonalities:

-Meal service was painfully slow for a night flight. It took an hour from take off before the amuse bouche arrived.When I mentioned that I was hoping to get some sleep, I was told that as I had ordered a hot main, the ovens couldn’t be turned on until after take off and it takes that long to prepare.This seemed like a weak excuse to me; 90 minutes to heat a meal?And that still didn’t explain why it took over an hour to get my cold starter. Sitting in 1A, I could see the FA working quite hard in the full cabin, although many went straight to sleep so it just seemed that they have too few working too many pax.The brisk to-ing and fro-ing did not add to a quiet, calm experience.

-I like the new tableware, but aren’t the flutes and wine glasses just too tall and thin for an aircraft? There were times I had to hold to the glass for dear life, even in just moderate turbulence.By the way, is it standard that the pre-departure champagne is of a lower quality (Jacquart (not listed on the menu); I believe the same as in the Flounges).

-The bedding is wonderful, but if the cabin is so hot, the thick, fluffy duvet becomes an oven. When I finally had a few hours after the meal service, I found it unbearable, especially with the scratchy pyjamas, and kicked off the duvet. It didn’thelp that chatter from the galley continued through the night.I certainly wouldn’t choose 1A if I had the option. No slippers pro-actively offered, although the amenity bag was (quite underwhelming, as others have said).

-The menu was different than what has been displayed above. It was also one option shorter (maybe for the night flight?) and was remarkably similar to the outbound CW options:steak, fish and vegetarian.I had the fish (which was not halibut, but I can’t recall now which) and it was fine if not exciting.I was not going to repeat the tough, overcooked steak on the way out.Skipped dessert, but nice chocs.

All in all, it was ok, but I couldn’t help but feel that the FAs seemed harried, scurrying about particularly at the beginning and end of the flight. Am I the only one who doesn’t mind a trolley service to avoid the incessant back and forth?Certainly a pleasant experience being upgraded, but the main benefit over CW remains not having to hop over someone and having space for your things nearby.Once that is sorted with the new CW, I can’t really see the additional premium for F.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I could be way off here....but on both our recent F flights ( one night, one day) SEA-LHR RT.... nearly all the FAs said it was there first time in First. ( or at least in a long time) It made me wonder whether the First class cabin is not a premium assignment and is relegated to the newer less experienced staff.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flydrive
...Am I the only one who doesn’t mind a trolley service to avoid the incessant back and forth?...
No, I don't mind the trolley service at all either in CW (or even if it was in F). I think it improves the service, and don't see the problem with it.

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 26, 2019 at 2:52 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
No, I don't mind it at all either in F or CW. I think it improves the service, and don't see the problem with it.
if the meal service was quick it wouldn’t be a problem. Now they ve chosen to inflict the new CW catering fiasco on F it is a major problem if the back and forth goes on for half the flight. F has become unusable on East Coast red eyes as a result.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not seeing a slowing service being delivered since we have upgraded our soft product, that is not to say that some crew are taking a little time to get up to speed.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:52 pm

Recent and first experience on BA First long-haul.
My only other First Class reference points are Emirates, Lufthansa, Korean, Asiana and ANA, so you can probably imagine where BA now ranks on my list -

Highlights in terms of most memorable:
-RUSHED service; a couple times it felt like one of the FA's was galloping back and forth
-LOUD meal preparations, I was in row 2 on A380 in both directions; clip, clap, cling, clong - the sound of cutlery as if throwing them all into a steel bowl
-FRIENDLY and RESPONSIVE flight crew; but lacking engagement and periodically checking on my needs. Really stuck to a "schedule" then rested in between
-COMFORTABLE bedding - made for a restful overnight sleep
-LACKING menu options - Just a handful of cocktails available; pretty weak mid-flight snacks; and when I asked for the popcorn I was given a look of confusion even though it's on the menu... The presentation of the meals was splendid and on point, however.
-STERILE feeling lavatories - mini bottles of Elemis hand wash and lotion; no other amenities; hand towels ran out as did hand wash on one of the flights. How about a small flower or anything to cheer the place up?

Overall I was quite disappointed with the "new" BA First Class product, and have already told a handful of colleagues about the mostly sub-par experience (while also mentioning some of the high points noted above).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DBCme
-STERILE feeling lavatories - mini bottles of Elemis hand wash and lotion; no other amenities; hand towels ran out as did hand wash on one of the flights. How about a small flower or anything to cheer the place up?
Not wishing to minimize your other points but I quite like the idea of sterile toilets. Oh, and there certainly should have been a fresh flower.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DFB_london

if the meal service was quick it wouldn’t be a problem. Now they ve chosen to inflict the new CW catering fiasco on F it is a major problem if the back and forth goes on for half the flight. F has become unusable on East Coast red eyes as a result.
Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by that? I thought the meal service has been individual and not trolleys in First for years?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Not wishing to minimize your other points but I quite like the idea of sterile toilets. Oh, and there certainly should have been a fresh flower.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
BA199 (12F) last night

- I have to agree with many posters on the significantly improved bedding. Finally BA have duvets which are long enough to cover my entire body (I'm 6ft4). Regarding cabin temperature, that can be a hit or miss.
- New tableware is good, I like the wine/champagne flutes but the stems do feel delicate for an aircraft and in moderate chop looked like they were gonna topple.
- New PJs feel more or less the same as the old
- Headphones have great sound quality but the square shape is very odd/little uncomfortable to wear
- Meal service was really slow. 2+ hours to complete on an overnight flight.
- Great crew
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bowzer91
- Headphones have great sound quality but the square shape is very odd/little uncomfortable to wear
I agree that they are a bit uncomfortable as they were too tight for me. I changed back to my own Bose ones after an hour of use.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by golfmad
I agree that they are a bit uncomfortable as they were too tight for me. I changed back to my own Bose ones after an hour of use.
ask the purser for the Club headphones. Lighter and while maybe not as sound proof....I was able to watch 3 movies instead of yanking them off after one using the new set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.