New First soft product: your experiences

Old Apr 4, 19, 5:38 pm

So landed in Austin- despite the dirt the food was very good- best I have ever had on BA.

There was a great salmon and orange salad as a snack option to avoid the afternoon tea.

My headphones broke and neither I or the crew could mend them (fell apart) but they had another pair.
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
The ear pads seem to come off very easily on the new headphones. They twist back on again but I can’t see them lasting very long. Shame as they are comfy and give a good sound.
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just of the BA275 to Las Vegas, full cabin in first and the team delivered a great service despite it being their first time with the new product. I love the new day blanket, the new coasters, and the tissues in the wash bag. The food was great, and a big improvement on my last flight to KUL.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:15 am

Flew to HKG the other day with BA and got the new product.
Food much better.
Cutlery and stemware is also much better.
Though you technically cannot buddy dine you can sort of do it - just a bit cramped...
Bedding softer.
PJ's better though the pull-cord for the trouser part won't last that long....
Overall its a significant improvement. Service is a bit slow at present but that is because everyone I think is getting used to the new product.....
FD.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:34 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Are these new things on the LHR-KUL route?
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
Are these new things on the LHR-KUL route?
Yes on all LHR routes https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30930937-post117.html
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:14 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I flew LHR-TLV yesterday afternoon (BA167) and found the new Kosher meal service (catered by Hermolis) a great improvement. Here are some pictures:

Glenlivet in the new glasses - looks impressive.

Canapes - previously there were no kosher nuts at all on BA! The olives were particularly good. In the glass was the "Classic Mule" cocktail (note for kosher-only travellers: ask them to make it with Smirnoff from "the back" as the F/C Ciroc vodka is not kosher).

Starter: lightly smoked tuna

Main course: Ribsteak. Unfortunately it was VERY well done However it was VERY tasty, so that made up for it. The veg were excellent

Dessert: Chocolate something or other. I've had this one before. Very nice though. In the background my "Beachbound" cocktail. The one they made for me on Sunday was much better though.

Teapot and cup. The tea is "Superfruity" that I "lifted" from GF, knowing that they wouldn't have it on board (they used to, ages ago ...). I also had a pot of the "Citrus ginger twist" later.

What I found strange was that on my outbound flight from TLV on Sunday (first day of the new service) the meal service had not yet been upgraded (although the crew said that when they came to TLV that morning they had the new meal service) but we did get the new amenity kits and pyjamas. However, on this flight although the meal service was the new one, the amenity kits and pyjamas were the old ones.

I like the cocktail and "mocktail" menu. However, as I mentioned above, their quality can depend a lot on the skills of the FA who mixes them.

All in all, the changes are not that big, but are big enough to make the product “feel” much better. Someone has being doing some serious homework ...
sds1493, RoyalSwazi, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist View Post
The ear pads seem to come off very easily on the new headphones. They twist back on again but I can’t see them lasting very long. Shame as they are comfy and give a good sound.
Yes, one of the cabin crew pulled one off at the end of the flight when having a quick look at them. I think they are designed to come off easily so they can be replaced for the next customer.

I was fortunate to experience the new First service when travelling back from LAX (BA268/A380) on 1 April. Overall I think it is a great improvement and the crew certainly enjoyed delivering the service. Here are a few of my observations on the new service.

New Amenities
  • Day Blanket & Cushion: These are lovely, made from nice material, soft and very comfortable, they are placed on all seats prior to boarding;
  • Slippers: These are much better than the previous offering, more comfortable and a better fit making them easier to slip on and off and to walk in. They come in two sizes - small/medium and large/extra large;
  • Headphones: These are presented in a very attractive hard case similar to the case provided by Bose. The sound quality is excellent and are very comfortable to wear. Whilst I liked the sound, I found the shape peculiar. The earphone itself is rectangular in shape, and whilst this headset fitted comfortably on my ears I suspect anyone with larger ears might have some issues with ambient noise pollution if the headset doesn't cover their ears properly. These headphones sound and feel like they are from the higher end of the spectrum;
  • Pajamas: Certainly better than the previous ones, they come in three sizes: small, medium and large;
  • Amenity Kit/Wash Bag: Nothing much to add to what has been said supra. The eyeshades are much improved. They are larger, softer, lighter and much more comfortable than the previous one. The ear plugs also appear to work better and feel more comfortable in the ear. The ladies bag is larger than the gentlemen's version.
Bedding
The new bedding is great. The quality of all the items is very good and the feel soft and luxurious. Unlike the previous version, the foam mattress noticeably improves the comfort of the bed. Hopefully the mattress will hold its efficacy throughout its anticipated life. The pillow too is excellent, much larger and more comfortable. Paradoxically, it feels both firm and soft. The duvet is also improved but I think it too narrow.

I found the size of the previous duvet was better, this one appeared narrower, or perhaps I was given a Club World one? Having not travelled in Club I can't say for sure. All-in-all I enjoyed a more comfortable sleep than previously.

Food & Beverage Service
This was the first time the crew had delivered the new service. As a result the service appeared a little slower than normal, but not too much. I am not one for taking photographs of food or service items and so I only have a handful to share with you. I took them specifically to share here. I apologise in advance if some of the photographs appear a little on the dark side, there was one gentleman who behaved like a little princess from the go complaining about another passenger making a noise (who wasn't by the way) and the last thing I wanted to do was to use flash and disturb little precious unnecessarily. This was the late flight from LAX (A380). The flight was delayed almost three hours because of a medical emergency at LHR on the outbound with the aircraft having to return to stand.
  • Food & Beverage Service Items: Each time the table is set it is difficult not to notice significant improvements. The flatware, crockery, stemware and glassware are all vastly improved. The glasses are now much larger, the champagne flutes, the red and white wine glasses, the tumblers, the cocktail glasses. They are all of decent quality and weight. The flatware is much heavier, the heaviest I have experienced on any airline, which certainly helps improve the dining experience.
  • Pre-departure: The first thing you notice is the new champagne flute, a full size glass of fizz served with warm nuts which were once only served after departure. Gone are the disposable paper coasters, we are now provided linen finger-napkins and coasters. The hot towel is a little larger and served on a small tray. With respect to the photograph below, I only remembered to take the photo of the glass after consuming most of its contents (before the usual suspects chirp up with their tiresome throwaways);
  • Post-departure drinks and canapés: Post-departure drinks are now served with a selection of canapés. Those served on our flight were excellent (see menu below for details), in fact the duck one was exceptional. The side table is laid out with the linen finger-napkin and coaster together with a small fork for the canapés. The canapés looked great and tasted as good as they looked. Each of the canapés were more substantial and of greater quality than the previous service 'pre-appetiser'. My wife was sitting with me, hence the two servings of canapés.

• The menu for this flight is attached this post (see below), the photographs are of the dishes I chose. I found the food had improved, the beef fillet was tender, the vegetables tasty, the soup as good as ever and the appetiser rather pleasing. The crockery is very good, the soup bowl particularly stood out. The soup poured by the crew at the table from a soup/gravy boat.

• I'm afraid I didn't take a scan of the breakfast menu. I didn't notice any difference to the English Breakfast, it appeared to look like any other I've eaten in recent months. I chose not to take breakfast, so have no photos to share with you. I can't say one way or the other if there has been any improvement to the offering.
I have to abruptly finnish here. I've just received a call from a client and must attend to an urgent matter. Unfortunately I do not have to review of what I've written so please be forgiving if I've made no sense, no doubt I will have missed things out. To conclude, this was yet another enjoyable BA First experience. I think these changes will be well received, I certainly enjoyed my first experience and look forward to enjoying my future flights and to the continuing improvements to the First service.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Doc - 2 Apr 2019 - 08-55.pdf (218.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: pdf
Doc - 2 Apr 2019 - 08-56.pdf (246.6 KB, 161 views)
Carfield, Andriyko, TFM and 15 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Just to say that the drinks coaster and napkins are actually made of paper but feel like linen.
BingBongBoy and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Just to say that the drinks coaster and napkins are actually made of paper but feel like linen.
In that case BA have done very well. I looked closely on my flight specifically wondering this and concluded they weren’t paper.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes there are and come on a roll like kitchen towel.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
First of all, thank you very much for great pics and detailed description Tobias-UK!

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
My wife was sitting with me, hence the two servings of canapés.
May I ask you - do you mean that you dined together? I believe another poster mentioned today or yesterday that it was no longer possible to dine together, which would be rather upsetting since this is what we always do. Thank you.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Apr 5, 19 at 1:41 pm Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
And to add my thanks also Tobias-UK for thinking of the forum and taking the time to post this review, which I find very helpful indeed. The dessert sundae made me smile, and I'm not sure why. It looks somehow playfully pretty
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:16 pm

Thanks Tobias!

looks really good and thanks for making the effort for the forum! Even though some of them will moan or complain about something
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
As per the menu in post #1 of this thread.
BA85, 01 April 2019

Canapés

Seared Scallops

Vichyssoise

Seared Filet of Halibut
The food looks so much better than I’d normally expect! Not sure whether that’s the plates or the food or both! Have you tried old vs new service? Just wondered if it tasted as good as it looked?
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread