Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by hsmall
A reminder that an increasing number of passengers in the future (and many now) will identify as neither male nor female.
This.

Thank you.
hsmall likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Would make sense to me.
I rarely if ever use what's in the amenity kits anyway. After decades flying in economy I'm used to going equipped.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
A reminder that an increasing number of passengers in the future (and many now) will identify as neither male nor female.
In sufficient number to warrant the introduction of a gender-neutral amenity kit? At the risk of sounding politically insensitive (and I am certainly not intending to be), is there a reason why those who choose not to identify as either male or female could not just ask for whichever amenity kit is likely to suit their requirements for the flight?

Are any airlines currently offering three types of amenity kit? BA have previously provided unisex kits, when gender-specific amenity kits were introduced these were generally well received and many would see the reintroduction of unisex amenities as a step backward.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
An increasing number maybe. But hardly a majority of passengers, so I don't think designing products with this demographic in mind makes much sense.

Maybe easier to go down the SQ route: Downsize the amenity kit itself to the minimum and have articles such as razors and toothbrushes laid out in the lavatories where anybody needing one can just take one.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by LCY8737

An increasing number maybe. But hardly a majority of passengers, so I don't think designing products with this demographic in mind makes much sense.

Maybe easier to go down the SQ route: Downsize the amenity kit itself to the minimum and have articles such as razors and toothbrushes laid out in the lavatories where anybody needing one can just take one.
Maybe not the majority. It doesn't meed to say we shouldn't cater to the minority surely? We cater for minority dietary preferences (not talking about intolerances/allergies). I really don't see it as being in any way difficult. Personally, I like a full amenity kit, esp F ones, even although I have plenty! And, no, I wouldn't want everything lumped into the washrooms, especially in F. YMMV. Possibly in J though - even then, I don't really fancy it
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

In sufficient number to warrant the introduction of a gender-neutral amenity kit? At the risk of sounding politically insensitive (and I am certainly not intending to be), is there a reason why those who choose not to identify as either male or female could not just ask for whichever amenity kit is likely to suit their requirements for the flight?

Are any airlines currently offering three types of amenity kit? BA have previously provided unisex kits, when gender-specific amenity kits were introduced these were generally well received and many would see the reintroduction of unisex amenities as a step backward.
As I mentioned earlier, there could be surveys etc to assess potential numbers. I don't see your comments as politically insensitive - but, yes there could be reasons as to why someone wouldn't want to ask - that's why I suggest being pro-actively asked what your choice is - more customer oriented/friendly. It's about generalisations and assumptions that I see as needing to be questioned and addressed. It certainly would see a certain demographic as being catered to whereby previously they were not.
I haven't seen/know of other airlines doing it - quite amazing really when you think of it. So, why would you thing that some would see it as a step backwards - if BA went back to the high standards they used to have back in the day, we would be delighted!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS
On our inbound international trip, we received one of each, as expected. During holiday, husband used products from my kit. He especially fell in love with the hair brush with mirror.
On our return, told him to request a female kit, which he did. Also told him to request my size of PJ's, since he does not care for them and I love them. The FA smiled when he requested SMALL PJ's. (He is quite large) Discussed with crew what they thought of new F product rolling out today. They were most curious with what the new amenity kits would be like and the upgraded PJ's.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Downsized on SQ for F? I think there may be a bit of a confusion here, as it was actually upsized from their previous version.

Men's kit includes a candle (not to be used on board for obvious reasons) with a couple of substantial size of skincare products (including a soap, which you wouldn't normally expect in an amenity kit). Ladies kit includes a full-size perfume and again substantial size of skincare products. More like a goody bag than a traditional amenity with traditional contents like toothbrushes etc.

Just that the contents are completely different from what would normally be contained in an amenity kit. As you say, they have plenty of items in the loo, and eye shades and socks are provided separately.

They have scrapped it from J altogether though (they did hand out a travel washing kit - for clothes, not for humans - for a while, although it seems to have finished now), but whatever you might need is in the loo. No individual hand cream etc., however (unless I somehow missed it!).

P.S. I personally preferred the previous SQ PJs compared to the current Lalique ones. The current ones feel scratchy/itchy to my skin, whereas the previous ones felt nice, and a bit like lounge wear than PJs. I'm really hoping that the new BA ones are non-scratchy to the skin as the current ones. I don't mind the current BA PJs at all - they are handy, and they don't make me itch.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Lots of airlines already have a single amenity kit that gets given to all passengers so hardly a novel concept.

Many male cosmetics such as skin cream are the same recipe as for females just in a different package.
hsmall and offtothehills like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Lots of airlines already have a single amenity kit that gets given to all passengers so hardly a novel concept.

Many male cosmetics such as skin cream are the same recipe as for females just in a different package.
In F - single amenity kits? Yes, you are correct about the recipes for the creams et - apart fro perhaps the perfume/scent added.

Last edited by offtothehills; Mar 31, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Advantage
I am quite sad that I will be flying F from ORD to LHR Saturday and will not have room in my quart liquids bag to take these goodies

(I am transiting on to MUC.) I suppose there isn't a way around this aside from jettisoning what I bring with me.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by offtothehills
I see where you are coming from, however, I am happy with my female ones and will ask for a male one instead if I want one, for whatever reason. It's not about me - it's about others who may wish the option.
My main point, which i should have perhaps made clearer, was/is that there are some people - gay, transgender etc, who may not wish to have their gender specific kit given to them and who may not feel confident enough to request them. Re the non gender specific kits - I just think it is appropriate in this day and age to have them included in that choice. I hope that this clarifies things.
Maybe they shouldn't call them male or femalekits. No idea what would work in that scenario
hsmall and offtothehills like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flawedgem
I am quite sad that I will be flying F from ORD to LHR Saturday and will not have room in my quart liquids bag to take these goodies

(I am transiting on to MUC.) I suppose there isn't a way around this aside from jettisoning what I bring with me.
You shouldn't need much room really - the tubes etc are so small that I find they slip in wherever there's a teeny space Have a good trip - perhaps you are getting "New First"? It would be good to hear how it went.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Maybe they shouldn't call them male or femalekits. No idea what would work in that scenario
I guess so many brands nowadays, especially the more upmarket ones, don't target any gender specifically. And this works, the packaging works, and so it should be easy to adapt the kits. Personally, I prefer to have creams etc with a bold, non gender obvious bias on the label.
hsmall likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Downsized on SQ for F?
Sorry, I was thinking SQ C - probably should have mentioned that...
offtothehills and LTN Phobia like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.